www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Old 08-12-19, 19:25   #111
Daft Raider
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr GaGa View Post
What exactly did Shadow do wrong? I was filled with puzzles, minimal combat, jungle setting, it was colorful, it had tombs, Lara could swim and explore under water. I mean how so many hate Shadow is very confusing to me.
Because the writing was god awful as usual, the pacing of the game is all over the place, Laura’s still a stick in the mud, and the game was a ****ty conclusion after a 5 year unnecessarily prolonged, stretched out origin story.

I mean, read the thread... there’s so many people in here explaining why they don’t like the game, it’s not that confusing.
Old 08-12-19, 20:05   #112
Costel
Archaeologist

Quote:
What exactly did Shadow do wrong? I was filled with puzzles, minimal combat, jungle setting, it was colorful, it had tombs, Lara could swim and explore under water. I mean how so many hate Shadow is very confusing to me.
I would not call it underwater exploration. It was still swim from point A to point B if you ignore all the side collectibles. At least Rise did not pretend to have underwater exploration. And even the optional underwater exploration was a mess cause piranhas were preventing you to actually explore.
Shadow was just filled with puzzles. That is all
Old 09-12-19, 00:06   #113
OrangeJuice
Archaeologist

Quote:
you can include as many things as you want in a game but it won't matter if the execution feels off for most of them lol
Old 09-12-19, 02:28   #114
JsotoTRSaga
Relic Hunter

I just finished replaying Shadow of the Tomb Raider for perhaps the fifth time since it's release, I did a complete series playthough and this time I found far more nuisances in SOTTR than I did in previous playthroughs, in fact I enjoyed Rise far better in many aspects. Rise wasn't as restrictive as Shadow is and it was also much more polished and there was a lot of attention to detail. Shadow of the Tomb Raider's biggest problems for me are:

*Forced Walking
*Overuse Underwater segments
*Lack of attention to detail
*Lack of polishing
*Bugs and Glitches abound
*Outfit Restriction
*Bows and Arrows
*RPG elements overused
*Fetch quests worse than Rise
*Scenes in which Lara cries

I was surprised bc this time I didn't mind the Blue Heron Tunic as much, maybe bc I have grown to accept it and know I can't do anything about it however I DO NOT want anything like this restriction in a future TR game ever again. Restrictions such as this have no place in Tomb Raider and Daniel Bisson should be fired hear me please Square Enix do yourselves a favor and the world a favor and fire that incompetent fool. As I was saying my opinion on Shadow of the Tomb Raider has changed a bit again, I seriously can't see myself replaying this anytime soon, I'd rather replay AOD... and that is saying something! I rate it now a 6.5/10 both as a game and a TR game.

Last edited by JsotoTRSaga; 09-12-19 at 02:35.
JsotoTRSaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-19, 22:27   #115
Costel
Archaeologist

Am I the only one that thinks that Lara putting the pistol on the table when she first arrive at Abby's bar is a moment of stupidity?
Old 09-12-19, 22:43   #116
Tomb Raidering
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Costel View Post
Am I the only one that thinks that Lara putting the pistol on the table when she first arrive at Abby's bar is a moment of stupidity?
You’re not alone. That was unnecessary and Abby’s reaction was just abnormal. What? Someone in front of you has a gun and you just stay like that? Well, what’s up with the whole town?
Old 10-12-19, 03:06   #117
Robwood
Professor

Quote:
I've never understood the action, either. It wasn't necessary for her to sit and the only reason I can come up with to perform it is to show whoever you're with that you're not their enemy, but that would go without saying. What wound up happening was her indicating that she was a threat and then hypocricising by being friendly. "I'm nice...but don't get on my bad side if you know what's good for you!" Good message to give a stranger who just offered her place to you.
Old 10-12-19, 04:30   #118
Donoman
Hobbyist

Quote:
It was so awkward. Lara is horrendously awkward with people in this game and it makes me cringe. Her unenthusiastic monotone voice when talking to the townspeople, being overly apologetic, and having the dull face also makes me uncomfortable. Hopefully for the next game she's consistently diplomatic, likable, and respected.
Old 10-12-19, 15:32   #119
JoelCaesar
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donoman View Post
It was so awkward. Lara is horrendously awkward with people in this game and it makes me cringe.
Lara herself says that she isn't good with people. This is probably just an example of her not seeing how the action could be perceived.
Old 10-12-19, 18:51   #120
killchan
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donoman View Post
It was so awkward. Lara is horrendously awkward with people in this game and it makes me cringe
and that's the point of that scene. It's called show don't tell, only in this case they needed to provide some pre-context so they made her say "you do the talk Jonah, I'm not good with people".

The problem, if we really want to look for one, is that we don't really see Lara not being good with people in the first place, before (in Shadow of other games) and after that moment.

It's one case of a thing that works in that exact moment as a narrative mean of giving X character some depth, but crumbles under the slightest scrutiny.