www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Franchise > Tomb Raider Comics

Old 25-08-16, 15:29   #481
Cezar
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Cassidy View Post
Yes there are... relatively few compared to some game series, granted, but not even AC has escaped the contradiction curse; the biggest one is in the AC Revelations DLC were it turned out that Lucy was a Templar spy. If that was so she would have to turn red in Desmonds eagle vision for the last three games, but she didn't.
This with Lucy was not a contradiction for me It would be spoiler if this colour was red too soon. And even if in AC series there are some small mistakes - this franchise is huge, mistakes may happen. But in TR new timeline we have only 2 games!
Cezar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-16, 15:33   #482
Nigel Cassidy
Professor

Yes, no doubt about it; Assassins Creed is a shining example to every series out there when it comes to consistent storytelling. Even Mass Effect has failed horribly in some cases.

Although still; it's not a matter of spoiling it that Lucy was a Templar; she shouldn't have been a Templar at all; Desmond being unable to see this undermines the whole purpose of the eagle vision sense. If eagle vision is that unreliable, just imagine how many innocents the Assassins have been murdering over the centuries?
Nigel Cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-16, 15:34   #483
Heidi_w_
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cezar View Post
I've just read new comic TR #7 and I've noticed that Sam's mother is Japanese. It's strange, because official guide of TR9 told us, that her mother is Portuguese and father Japanese. Why Mariko Tamaki changed nationality of Sam's mother?
Not sure why you think Sam's mom is Japanese? She has a similar hairstyle to Sam but her name (Antonia) sounds much more Portuguese than Japanese. It might just be a product of Sevy's artwork in that he can't spend a ton of time on facial features given the amount of work he has to produce for each deadline. Sam's dad doesn't look all that Asian, yet we know he is.
Old 25-08-16, 15:55   #484
AntRaidsTombs
Relic Hunter

Issue number 007 had me on my toes!!!
Old 25-08-16, 16:09   #485
Rai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cezar View Post
I'm also a fan of Assassin's Creed series - you know how huge is this universe - and there are no contradictions! Ubisoft has hired a person who is the guradian of their canon, so I wonder why in new rebooted TR universe, which consists of only 2 games, about 20 comics and one novel, there are contradictions? In first Dark Horse series there were mistakes made by Gail Simone with age of Reyes' daughter, time of meeting Roth and Reyes, Whitman claimed that he didn't know Lara, but in TR9 he knew her and in comics Whitman was divorced and in TR9 he was before the divorce.

The only real contradictions I've seen in the comics Vs the game is in the time between Reyes and Roth meeting and Alicia's age and then in TR'13 and the comics, Lara's parents are supposedly missing, which is changed in Rise.

I think you're getting a tad confused. Whitman is in The Beginning, written by Rhianna. This is set before the events of the game, and so Whitman hasn't met Lara yet. Any mention of Whitman in the post comics would be flashbacks as he dies in the games. I don't recall any Whitman journals in the game, does he mention being married?

I think the main problem is too many writers. In game, Rhianna came in when the bulk of the story was written, and she had little say with the characters. I think Whitman was her only new creation. Plus she didn't write the journals, so this could explain the inconsistency. Same with any inconsistency in the comics. There really should have been better communications between the writers to keep continuity. Hopefully this will improve. I actually don't recall Richard's disappearance being mentioned in TR'13, just that Lara talks of him in past tense. It's the comics that insinuate this, but the storyline could be tweaked to fit: Roth was looking for Lara's parents 14 years prior, when he meets Reyes (perhaps this is when Amelia disappeared/died), then Richard dies later, ten years before TR'13 (in 2003 as seen on the tombstone seen in Rise). Which does actually fit and make some sense.

@Heidi, what makes you think the mushrooms will be brought up again?

Last edited by Rai; 25-08-16 at 16:12.
Rai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-16, 17:23   #486
Cezar
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rai View Post
I think you're getting a tad confused. Whitman is in The Beginning, written by Rhianna. This is set before the events of the game, and so Whitman hasn't met Lara yet. Any mention of Whitman in the post comics would be flashbacks as he dies in the games. I don't recall any Whitman journals in the game, does he mention being married?
Here you have one of Whitman's documents

Quote:
Darling, think! Think before filing those papers. I've sunk the last of my fortune into this expedition. But it's all going to come back tenfold. If you divorce me now, you won't see a penny of it.

You've been with me since I was nothing. You know what I'm capable of achieving. I haven't lost my touch, I'm just at a low point right now, don't you see? I'm on to something here. Lara, you remember her. My young protégée... she has real data to back up her theories, but she doesn't have my savvy. It's going to be my name on the discovery and my face in front of the cameras. If this all pans out, the show will be huge!
In the game Whitman seems to know Lara for some time, in the Beginning comic, which takes place just before TR9, Whitman claimed that he doesn't know her, but her face is familiar to him.

In the game Whitman asks his wife not to divorce him, but in the Beginning he said he is already divorced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi_w_ View Post
Not sure why you think Sam's mom is Japanese? She has a similar hairstyle to Sam but her name (Antonia) sounds much more Portuguese than Japanese. It might just be a product of Sevy's artwork in that he can't spend a ton of time on facial features given the amount of work he has to produce for each deadline. Sam's dad doesn't look all that Asian, yet we know he is.
In TR #7 both Sam's parents look very Asian for me.

Last edited by Cezar; 25-08-16 at 17:36.
Old 25-08-16, 17:47   #487
Rai

In The Beginning, Whitman and his wife are just on the verge of divorce. His wife is chucking him out of the house. That document doesn't contradict that, it comes off as his way of squirming his way out of it, saying she'll get nothing if she signs the papers, In the comic he just meets Lara. In game, they've been on the Endurance for 19 days before the shipwreck. Its not like he's acting as if they've known each other for years.
Old 25-08-16, 17:52   #488
R41D3R
Student

Loved issue #7. The ending was tense and... what a cliffhanger!
Old 25-08-16, 17:56   #489
Cezar
Explorer

Quote:
In The Beginning, Whitman and his wife are just on the verge of divorce. His wife is chucking him out of the house. That document doesn't contradict that, it comes off as his way of squirming his way out of it, saying she'll get nothing if she signs the papers, In the comic he just meets Lara. In game, they've been on the Endurance for 19 days before the shipwreck. Its not like he's acting as if they've known each other for years.
The quote from The Beginning

"You mean Sheila actually left you with something after the divorce?"

So I think in the comic Whitman was divorced, in TR9 he asks Sheila if she would change her mind and not divorce.
Old 25-08-16, 21:12   #490
Heidi_w_
Professor

Quote:
@Heidi, what makes you think the mushrooms will be brought up again?
If they're not, it's violating the whole principal of Chekov's Gun. That, and the fact that they're repeatedly referred to as the Mushrooms of Immortality seems to tie into Himiko's obsession with living forever.

I don't know that they'll figure, it's just a hunch...