Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Rise of the Tomb Raider

Old 29-11-18, 10:23   #31
FanosCroft

Marty I'm scared.
Charmed praises Rise omg what else did I miss?

And I agree this was a better experience overall than SOTTR, way better.
FanosCroft is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-18, 12:49   #32
_Tomb_Raider

I first want to thank @charmedangelin for making an excellent introductory post. I wholeheartedly agree with everything and still think Rise is the highlight of the reboot trilogy.

IMO Shadow was just so hyped that many people see it as groundbreaking because it is something "fresh". In the long run, I think people will look at Rise and realize its amazing quality in terms of gameplay pace and setting as well as engaging story and the mystery over Trinity cult.

For me, all this anticipation that Rise builds up exceptionally well was just downgraded to the lowest level in Shadow. The worst part is that there is no turning back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talos Munera View Post
That's what we all expected... I hoped, I wished to see Lara against the Trinity on the style of the Da Vinci code. But what about? We have a game that (my opinion) does not have the same atmosphere as Rise, does not have at all the same mystical charm (who has not been fascinated by the Prophet's Tomb? I even thought of Muhammad's tomb, or that of Jesus!) And the Trinity recalled the ancient Knight orders accompanying the pilgrims to the Holy Land and detested the heretics. It was perfect, great. They had a solid storyline, a background of Middle Eastern and Russian history worthy of being known, and what do they do? They throw everything in the dustbin.
I couldn't agree more. Prophet's Tomb was by far one of the best things we got from Reboot. Too bad it was just so short.
_Tomb_Raider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-18, 14:44   #33
killchan

I lost count of how many 0% runs I made of this game, so here's my verdict:

the game is functional, encounters are versatile, and by that I mean it allow you to fight in more than just one way to the point you don't really need a cover, it's fun to play and screams replayability etc...

but at the same time, I have to say this: the same flaws Shadow has, came from Rise.
80% of the game is an Supreme Waste Of Space™ and rewards are pretty much already in your inventory /skilltree from the start in some way. why get a silent pistol when you have the bow? the lockpick allows to unlock more weapons, but it's not like you don't get those weapons when you sit at the campifire. so yeah basically, from time to time you reach a big new location, and you look at that and it makes you think "wow I'd better explore because, well, you never know what's gonna happen during the next story mission, right?" but no it never really happens. all the good stuff you can get it as you progress anyway.
the fact that it's easy is not even the issue. it just doesn't even try to pose a challenge: no navigation skills required, instead of finally implementig the survival theme into the game (because DLC) they went and made Lara OP from the get go, resources are everywhere even if you don't look for them etc...

also, I think the addiction of the sprint button hurt the development process.

In TR2013 you can't run (I mean, yes, you can jump/somersault, but you had to unlock a skill first and it wasn't an intented behaviour): with that in mind, devs had to design relatively tight and interesting levels to make you not feel bored. but here? not really. The sprint button allowed the designers to come up with bigger maps, which in this case wasn't a good thing. and yes you can run past entire fights. there's no consequence to death after all so no biggie if you die in the process.

the story... eh. like in Shadow, you play as Lara, but the story is not really about her... but her dad, which wasn't in 2013. and some tribe you just met.
you never feel the pressure as you did in 2013, except maybe when it's time to go rescue Jonah (well, if we ignore the way he got captured. a part of me is still laughing ).

soooo, yeah. fun to play, contrary to Shadow it never gets in the way except for the stupid intro climbing sequence. a nice shooter with a kinda silly stealth system and AI.
I wish they spent time and resources in challenging setpieces instead of 3 cities with really nothing going on except for the ""tombs"". I'm glad I played it but I wish they didn't used it as a template for the next entry.

Last edited by killchan; 29-11-18 at 14:47.
killchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-18, 18:54   #34
_Seth

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmedangelin View Post
you could inject better AA with reshade and when I did that the game looked much better.
I've tried so hard to get this to work, but no avail. Can you point me in the right direction? I have the SMAA shader selectable in Reshade, but it has no effect. (Graphics card does not override and it is disabled in the ingame menu. Resahde is also using API D3D10.)
_Seth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-18, 12:55   #35
James_Rutland

See, for me, I love both Shadow and Rise. And find it really hard to pick one over the other.

I don't have a problem with them exploring Amelia a little bit in Shadow. Lara's talk with Jonah about her parents was probably one of my favourite cutscenes of the franchise. Maybe it would have worked better if she spoke about Sam instead however? How she misses her best friend? I think that would have really worked even if Sam isn't the best character. But the purpose of the cutscene is to set up Lara's temptation to have a world where her parents were never killed in tragic circumstances and have a normal childhood. It completed the theme of sacrifice the trilogy started with very well IMO.

In terms of graphics, IMO Shadow is stronger in some area's, and weaker in others. They are both stunning games, but I think Rise is more consistently excellent.
James_Rutland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-18, 18:53   #36
Talos Munera

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Tomb_Raider View Post

I couldn't agree more. Prophet's Tomb was by far one of the best things we got from Reboot. Too bad it was just so short.
Agree. Fascinating setting. Now I'm "Rediscovering" The Siberian Wilderness, give me a strange "sense of peace "
Talos Munera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-18, 09:03   #37
Pyro99

I have to agree, I had a similar experience. I was rather uninterested in Rise during my first playthrough simply because it lacked that special spirit that made TR2013 a lovely experience, and the exclusivity deal had also killed my hype, but every time I replay it, I find myself appreciating it more and more. The opposite happened with Shadow, which had me hyped and pulled me in, but the moment I finished it I thought "oh... okay". Rise wasn't the sequel to TR9 I would have asked for, but it was certainly a great game that could have spawned an interesting sequel involving Trinity. Sadly, Shadow wasn't that.
Pyro99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-18, 23:45   #38
charmedangelin

So many great responses, will get back to ya'll when I get time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Seth View Post
I've tried so hard to get this to work, but no avail. Can you point me in the right direction? I have the SMAA shader selectable in Reshade, but it has no effect. (Graphics card does not override and it is disabled in the ingame menu. Resahde is also using API D3D10.)
Make sure your using Direct X 11. It wouldn't work for me when I tried it with Direct X 12.

You'll see it working when you see a bunch of text in the upper left hand part of the screen where it success loading succeeded or something like that.

It stops a lot of the jagged edges on foliage like plants or on stuff like gates and trees. However you still will have some jagges on things like ice and a few other things.

Overall though it does look a quite a bit better.

EDIT

Also to those talking about her face and detail she looks much more detailed in Rise. You can see the pours on her face and her lips with her teeth look so real.

Last edited by charmedangelin; 05-12-18 at 01:58.
charmedangelin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-19, 16:54   #39
norabrave

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmedangelin View Post

EDIT

Also to those talking about her face and detail she looks much more detailed in Rise. You can see the pours on her face and her lips with her teeth look so real.

Her skin looks so real on Rise, that blood and dirty is so real. I hate her skin on Shadow, looks so plastic like a doll. I think Jonnah have a better skin on Shadow than Lara. 🤔
norabrave is offline   Reply With Quote