www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Chronicles

Old 27-12-18, 02:39   #31
LateRaider
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesum View Post
Personally I think Natla might have considered using Lara only after the encounter in TR5. Maybe earlier P&L were working for Natla to get other artifacts so she could use them in her projects/experiments/whatever her corporation was working atm. But since Lara happened and the stone was taken, she decided that Lara was a better candidate to retrieve the Scion.
maybe they're madly in love with each other and are adventuring across the world as an incompetent adventuring couple
Old 27-12-18, 17:48   #32
TR-Freak
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateRaider View Post
maybe they're madly in love with each other and are adventuring across the world as an incompetent adventuring couple
Prepare for Trouble and make it Double.
Pierre.
And Larson.
Team Dupont faster than the speed of Light!
Old 27-12-18, 22:07   #33
LateRaider
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR-Freak View Post
Prepare for Trouble and make it Double.
Pierre.
And Larson.
Team Dupont faster than the speed of Light!
oh my god i love you
Old 28-12-18, 01:09   #34
sackboy123
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomee View Post
This is how I would put them in order too, except... Russian Base? Isn't she supposed to be like really really young there? I might be wrong, but that's the impression I got from that section. I would place it between Ireland and Rome.

As for Pierre and Larson returning, I just assume that Natla was already monitoring Lara as a candidate to find the scion for her. After Rome, she recovered the injured/dead Larson and Pierre and used Atlantean technology to heal/reanimate them and send them after Lara, again.
During the Russia FMV. Lara says she "dealt with Mafia before, Unpleasant memories". Referring to TR2
Old 28-12-18, 01:28   #35
NoahCrofRaider
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sackboy123 View Post
During the Russia FMV. Lara says she "dealt with Mafia before, Unpleasant memories". Referring to TR2
Huh, I never noticed that. That’s a cool detail, actually.
Old 02-01-19, 19:41   #36
jajay119
Tomb Raider

TR has always been frought with these types of issues to me and I think it's always been a case of cobbling things on as you go rather than planning out where you're going from the start. Even Crystal Dynamics, I think, were guilty of this in their LAU trilogy as, for many reasons, I don't really think, for many reasons, those games work in the Annniversary -Legend - Underworld order it's assumed they happen in but rather only work in release order implying Legend had to have happened before Anniversary to make any sense.

Core, I feel, given their lack of time to innovate and the much less intensive focus on the cinematic side of games that the late 90s afforded many developers kept things consistent for quite a long time. They managed 4 games in rather quick succession that didn't really contradict each other despite adding more to Lara's past and present. It was chronicles, which we all know was incredibly rushed job that no one really wanted which seemed to throw a spanner in the works. I think Core were thinking more on how they could exploit already seen elements quickly than consistency here.

I like the explanations given here that it could be over dramatised verisons of the stories we are hearing due to the 'he said, she said' nature of the stories being told. I personally think Rome has to happen before TR1. Firtly because Wison cites it as 'the first of many' adventures implying it was one of her earliest conquests and we know by TR1 Lara has other infamous finds under her belt which is what attracts Natla.

Whether it's TR1 or Chronicles we can assume that Lara is familiar with Larson and Pierre in both instances. In the opening to Rome Lara is clearly waiting to meet up with them and shows she knows them in their opening Dialogue: Larson doesn't introduce himself to Lara an Lara doesn't question it. In fact, they have quite a playful interchange in their opening line
'Ain't she a picture?'
'Well if it isn't the Charming Mr Larson, has Pierre let you off the leash? Where is our learnered Friend'
This banter continues throughout the section and there are times when Pierre, Larson and Lara get serious with each other but it seems much more light hearted overall. Yes,we see Pierre and Larson go through some questionably dangerous situations in Rome but as others have said you don't see them die. That is the golden rule for all games, TV and films. IF you don't see it, it didn't happen and anythin is game.

By contrast in TR1, Lara is yet again approached by Larson who, once again, opens with a rather tongue in cheek remark of

'What does a man have to do to get that kind of attention from you?' Talking about an article in which Lara fough bigfoot and Lara responds, once again, not in suprise or asking who Larson is but a witty response of

'It's hard to say exactly, but you seem to be doing just fine'

This even continues with 'The truth is it's not me who wants you' to which Lara responds 'oh?'. All of this is very playful and casual and Lara doesn't once stop to ask who Larson is which to me implies Lara is completely aware of who Larson is at this point.

Now, baring in mind we know Chronicles wasn't even considered in this scene but retroactively the 'you seem to be doing just fine' could explain away the run in they had in Paris and anything prior to that. Lara also doesn't seem to question who Pierre is when mentioned either. So overall the situation of how familiar the three are to me isn't in question. What is important to note to me, however, is that there is far less playfulness in TR1 than in Chronicles. Larson and Pierre both try to kill Lara outright multiple times with no quips or pleasantness we see in Chronicles. Now, yes, again we know that Chronicles was moving to a more cinematic direction but the sheer lack of friendliness in TR1 to me shows a strained 'quasi-friendship' that's finally come to the end of its life. Furthermore we actually see Larson and Pierre get shot to death in this game then we can assume that Rome does happen before TR1, L&P did survive and died in TR1.
Old 03-01-19, 05:28   #37
Kapu
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jajay119 View Post
Now, baring in mind we know Chronicles wasn't even considered in this scene but retroactively the 'you seem to be doing just fine' could explain away the run in they had in [Rome] and anything prior to that. Lara also doesn't seem to question who Pierre is when mentioned either. So overall the situation of how familiar the three are to me isn't in question. What is important to note to me, however, is that there is far less playfulness in TR1 than in Chronicles. Larson and Pierre both try to kill Lara outright multiple times with no quips or pleasantness we see in Chronicles. Now, yes, again we know that Chronicles was moving to a more cinematic direction but the sheer lack of friendliness in TR1 to me shows a strained 'quasi-friendship' that's finally come to the end of its life. Furthermore we actually see Larson and Pierre get shot to death in this game then we can assume that Rome does happen before TR1, L&P did survive and died in TR1.
Their casual nature in TR1 does indeed play very well into TRC having happened first. Like you said, Core obviously weren't considering TRC at that time (I don't think they were even considering a second game until it sold like hot cakes!), but it works out damn well.

There really shouldn't be any confusion at this point. It makes the most sense for Rome to take place before TR1. We, as the player, actively gun them down and watch them die in TR1 - in TRC neither death is shown. C'mon, guys! Join our club, our timeline brings us satisfaction.
Kapu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-19, 19:23   #38
LateRaider
Archaeologist

So, this looks like Lara's most likely timeline, right?

(Birth, infancy, childhood, and chunk of adolescence)
The Last Revelation: Cambodia
Chronicles: Ireland
(Adolescence resumes into adulthood)
(Himalayan plane crash at age 21, realizes she loves adventuring, gets disowned)
(Creates travel books to finance adventures, inherits Croft Manor, life as an adventurer-archaeologist during unseen adventures continues until Rome in 1995)
Chronicles: Rome
("Croft bags Bigfoot!")
I & Unfinished Business
II & Golden Mask
Chronicles: Russia
Chronicles: New York
III & The Lost Artifact
The Times Level & The Last Revelation: Egypt
Chronicles: Present-day FMVs
(Lara is nursed back to health by Putai and travels with the Bedouin for awhile; Werner finds her and returns her backpack. The Bedouin are slaughtered, Lara returns home)
The Angel of Darkness
(Further adventures)

Where do Starring Lara Croft, Curse of the Sword, and The Prophecy fall into this? Curse of the Sword also starts and ends in New York, so maybe Lara visited Jane prior to finding Zip, or maybe Zip contacted Lara after she got the Sword back. That leaves SLC, which starts in Russia. Maybe after Chronicles: Russia?

The Prophecy is the odd duck, being a big globe-trotting adventure going from Sweden to Cambodia, then off to Italy before finally taking down the Teg-du-Bhorez in their headquarters. An earlier expedition, perhaps? We could place it anytime between the plane crash and Rome.

Quote:
L&P did survive and died in TR1.
no i'm sorry they're not dead x

Last edited by LateRaider; 05-01-19 at 05:58.
LateRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-19, 20:47   #39
TombRaiderTim
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateRaider View Post
Where do Starring Lara Croft, Curse of the Sword, and The Prophecy fall into this? Curse of the Sword also starts and ends in New York, so maybe Lara visited Jane prior to finding Zip, or maybe Zip contacted Lara after she got the Sword back. That leaves SLC, which starts in Russia. Maybe after Chronicles: Russia?

The Prophecy is the odd duck, being a big globe-trotting adventure going from Sweden to Cambodia, then off to Italy before finally taking down the Teg-du-Bhorez in their headquarters. An earlier expedition, perhaps? We could place it anytime between the plane crash and Rome.
For The Prophecy it could be a little before or after TR1 or even before or after Angel of Darkness due to Lara's appearance during gameplay looking like the TR1 design and the title screen featuring the AOD design though she seems hardly phased by supernatural events and more experienced compared to her TR1 self so my bet it could be near the AOD era.

When it comes to the Gameboy Color games, Tomb Raider and Curse of the Sword, her appearance resembled that from within Revelation and Chronicles so perhaps those off Gameboy Color happened around the time before or after them.

We cannot really go by much other than Lara's appearance to predict where these games fit into the timeline so nothing here is really accurate and as far as I know there was never any years or dates in the story to show when these events took place but personally if I would have to give it a guess, I think these three adventures happened sometime after the events of Revelation as she is never really seen in contact with recurring characters or even returning to her manor so these could have taken place in secrecy.
Old 11-01-19, 20:43   #40
Helegad
Explorer

Quote:
Now, baring in mind we know Chronicles wasn't even considered in this scene but retroactively the 'you seem to be doing just fine' could explain away the run in they had in Paris and anything prior to that.
You're missing the point of Larson referring to "that kinda attention" as just being Lara's direct focus on locating Bigfoot at one point, as he slaps down the magazine in front of her as context for his comment. Lara furthers the innuendo with "it's hard to say exactly, but you seem to be doing fine", referring to the fact that she killed Bigfoot, not that she merely found it. In other words, "keep going and you can have a bullet too".