Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Level Editor and Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor

Old 19-02-18, 21:35   #21
Danath

Smile Back on track

Not probably what you are looking for when i post something new, but i have a bug that i found funny:

That box isn't supposed to be pitch black! I don't know why, but i have to give it a high brightness value in the editor, otherwise it looks that way.

More importantly, i feel better and with more energy now. I figured a neat way to divide the map into 2 sections to avoid doing so much vertical divisions, and it even gave me a little idea for the gameplay that i have implemented. And that way you won't turn into a skeleton waiting for screenshots.
I also figured how the tibetan bell trigger works, it's pretty simple! And i can say i will use the bell in that first level for triggering something.

I'm up to 50-something rooms now, reached that middle section. Only have about 10 mins of playtime, though, need more! I'm thinking how the gameplay will be structured in the second section.
Danath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-18, 02:05   #22
Feder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danath View Post
That box isn't supposed to be pitch black! I don't know why, but i have to give it a high brightness value in the editor, otherwise it looks that way.
This is a common bug in TR1 and TR2, some objects of some levels for some reason appear in the darkest value no matter the light. It happens with the blocks of Bartoli's Hideout, and some doors in Diving Area as well. You can bring a block from another level and the problem is solved

Quote:
I also figured how the tibetan bell trigger works, it's pretty simple! And i can say i will use the bell in that first level for triggering something.
Those bells are rarely in any TR2 level, glad someone is using them.

Quote:
I'm up to 50-something rooms now, reached that middle section. Only have about 10 mins of playtime, though, need more!
Must be 10 minutes of pure fun
Feder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-18, 08:11   #23
Caesum

^ Sounds like the objects have static lighting mode attached, which results in pre-defined darkness per vertex. In case of TR4/TRLE one can fix that using StrPix, but I don't know how you can fix it in TR1/2.
Caesum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-18, 13:17   #24
thewolf
Golden

You can make this room pitch black and light a flare near the block and it will show it's textures. That's what I did with the pushable from Floating Islands

I also noticed that Core was able to change the height from rooms into 1 1/4 blocks or 2 1/4
thewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-18, 18:38   #25
Danath

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feder View Post
This is a common bug in TR1 and TR2, some objects of some levels for some reason appear in the darkest value no matter the light. It happens with the blocks of Bartoli's Hideout, and some doors in Diving Area as well. You can bring a block from another level and the problem is solved
That's weird. I suppose that is the easiest way around it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feder View Post
Must be 10 minutes of pure fun
Umm i'm not that sure, it's pretty standard...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesum View Post
^ Sounds like the objects have static lighting mode attached, which results in pre-defined darkness per vertex. In case of TR4/TRLE one can fix that using StrPix, but I don't know how you can fix it in TR1/2.
Thanks for the info! I have tried changing the vertex light of the the base file with PixStr which works with .tr2 files, but it doesn't change it, still black ingame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewolf View Post
You can make this room pitch black and light a flare near the block and it will show it's textures. That's what I did with the pushable from Floating Islands
That's interesting. I don't want that specific room that dark though, i suppose i will retexture another pushable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewolf View Post
I also noticed that Core was able to change the height from rooms into 1 1/4 blocks or 2 1/4
What would that be needed for?
Old 20-02-18, 19:53   #26
thewolf
Golden

It can be useful sometimes. Let's say you placed in Room 1 on a specific place 1/4 blocks. At the same time you want connect this room with room 2 but the height is only 1 block and there are also 1/4 blocks placed on the ground. The space between Laras head and the ceiling is now 0 . To prevent this you must change the height to 2 blocks, but if there's another room above these two they could cross. Also
for textures it could be useful to make an smoother transition on some places. Sadly we can't do this with unofficial editor. We can only change the size of blocks from the solid room border for texturing but even this is limited.
thewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-18, 23:28   #27
Danath

Yeah that's true, it's very limited. :\
If you have a room with a height of 2, you can only move the first texture line up/down, not the second. I wish you could add more lines like in Tomb Editor. Maybe i will have to switch to it later when TR2 support is more developed, doing the geometry there seems like a wonderful time!

Update: I have progressed nicely, i have about 60% of the map done ( gameplay/layout ). I have updated the progress on the first post, will do so for the next ones.

Last edited by Danath; 24-02-18 at 20:00.
Old 26-02-18, 15:30   #28
Ifrit61

I could never imagine there was somebody who would make a TR level settled in Pescara!
May I ask you why, between all the mediterranean cities, did you choose this one?
Anyway I'm very curious to see your work!
Ifrit61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-18, 17:56   #29
Danath

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ifrit61 View Post
I could never imagine there was somebody who would make a TR level settled in Pescara!
Another of my crazy ideas.

Quote:
May I ask you why, between all the mediterranean cities, did you choose this one?
Yes, you can.
I wanted the first level to be located at Italy, but not in Venice, as i wanted something unique. I also wanted it to be a coastal city, since there is a section whith a dock where you need to use the motorboat, and you can see an opening into the sea ( but cannot pass ).
So i took a look at a map of Italy and this one has a cool name, so i used it. That's all!

Quote:
Anyway I'm very curious to see your work!
I hope you like what i'm doing! Also i hope you don't actually live there or close to it, as this is pure fantasy and not in any way it resembles the real location.
Old 02-03-18, 10:51   #30
Ifrit61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danath View Post
I hope you like what i'm doing! Also i hope you don't actually live there or close to it, as this is pure fantasy and not in any way it resembles the real location.
I will surely like it, even though I was expecting it to be a little bit faithful to the real city.
I don't live in Pescara, but I know it very well. I've got a lot of friends since my childhood, there.

Looking forward to seeing your work, anyway. I like your kind of "crazy ideas"!
Ifrit61 is offline   Reply With Quote