Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Old 12-12-19, 20:09   #241
Rai

@Mutant Messiah, Square Enix Montreal created Lara Croft Go.
Rai is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-19, 20:33   #242
Legends

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutant Messiah View Post
I'm near halfway of Uncharted 4 and the puzzle elements of this game is child's play level.

So I really don't know if playing another Naughty Dog game would convince me otherwise.

Maybe cinematics and script is their actual stength.

On the other hand, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, as flawed as that game is, has really good puzzle concepts. Maybe this is Eidos Montreal's strength.

Well, they also created Lara Croft Go, which is also another great puzzle game.
I would recommend it. Uncharted, or The Lost Legacy isn't really about complicated puzzles, but about Indiana Jones style action in lost ruins, if that makes sense. And there's good writing, good voice acting, and a pretty fun story to experience. But yeah, Naughty Dog strengths is the narrative, attention to detail, character building and a cinematic type game. All the things the reboot is trying to be, but fails at. I also think the puzzles of the reboot is a complete joke, even Shadows'. It's just about attaching a rope here, a rope there and see what happens. That's not difficult at all, and it's been the same thing for three games, but it entirely depends on what you like I guess.

I would say The Lost Legacy is a step up from Uncharted 4 in many ways except that it's shorter. So if you like U4 somewhat, I'd try The Lost Legacy. You'll probably like Chloe.

Last edited by Legends; 15-01-20 at 12:32. Reason: forgot a word
Legends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-19, 20:35   #243
Costel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutant Messiah View Post
There's one good thing I can honestly say about Uncharted 4 though. It's a very friendly game to casual gamers.

I can easily recommend this game if to someone new to PS4.

I bought a PS4 this black friday, and my first game was supposed to be Nier Automata, but I had to play this one instead because I can't past a certain level on Nier.

By all intents and purposes, Uncharted 4 feels like a Tomb Raider reboot lite. With a better story, lighting, and combat even. I may be tempted to buy Lost Legacy next.

I still revert to the Tomb Raider reboot if I need a dose of exploration
Sorry for derailing this thread a bit but my curiosity is itching me. What level in Nier Automata?
Costel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-19, 21:23   #244
dcw123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rai View Post
@Mutant Messiah, Square Enix Montreal created Lara Croft Go.
LC GO was fantastic IMO - the most classic game we ever got from the recent TRs
Replaying it again after the reboot series really makes me miss the classic style.. the music, sense of wonder.. its all there
dcw123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-19, 22:08   #245
Mutant Messiah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Costel View Post
Sorry for derailing this thread a bit but my curiosity is itching me. What level in Nier Automata?
The first tutorial level of Nier has no save game. You need to completely finish that level first before the game starts being generous with the game saves, I think.

Not that the turtorial level is that hard. It's just that I need to restart the level again if I die. That's a major hassle.

So I switched to playing Uncharted 4, and the moment I found out that this game is generous with auto save, I knew I can finish this game without making me frustrated.

My hunch turns out to be true. This game is somewhat easy on MODERATE. The only part that I find somewhat challenging was the ambush scene. I'm already close to midway of the game.
Mutant Messiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-19, 09:05   #246
killchan

ehh I think that what the franchise needs right now is a publisher willing to understand that brand recognition can be turned into a chance to take some risks. Making TR relevant and unique again is the easiest job in the world right now, you don't need the Untouchable Wonders of Gaming to do that.
killchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-19, 18:07   #247
Aerie

I'd be okay with every developer as long as it isn't crystal. Everyone can do better than them.
Aerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-20, 01:50   #248
Mutant Messiah

I am about to finish Uncharted 4 right now, and I have to say...

Tomb Raider reboot is seriously better than this game

This caught me by surprise though. I was seriously expecting to enjoy Uncharted 4 better because of the hype surrounding it. I just bought PS4 this Black Friday and it's my first time playing a Sony Exclusive.

In a nutshell (my two cents)...

Story - Uncharted 4
Lighting - Uncharted 4
Script - Uncharted 4
Combat - Uncharted 4 (slight)
Graphics - Uncharted 4

Exploration - TR reboot
Traversal - TR reboot
Pacing - TR reboot (Yes, Uncharted 4 drags worse than Shadow)
Puzzle - TR reboot
Fun factor - TR reboot
Overall gameplay - TR reboot

Funny. Among the best critics of Tomb Raider reboot are Core Design fanboys who can't get rid of their nostalgia. But in their own right, the reboot games are really good overall. Even more so when I actually played Uncharted 4. LOL!

Still, Uncharted 4 is a good game. It's not a 10/10 like what the fanboys want to make you believe. I am actually planning to get Lost Legacy next. Not sure about the Nathan Drake collection yet.

I think moving forward, I think what the Tomb Raider franchise needs is just a competent writer (that will not compromise gameplay with cinematics), and an overhauled game engine. Something similar to the Metal Gear Solid 5 engine, but better.
Mutant Messiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-20, 07:40   #249
dg1995

I lost all my interest in Uncharted when I realized that punch battles are inferior than punch battles in Indiana Jones And The Emperor's Tomb.(A 2003 game)
dg1995 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-20, 08:32   #250
charmedangelin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legends View Post
I would recommend it. Uncharted, or The Lost Legacy isn't really about complicated puzzles, but about Indiana Jones style action in lost ruins, if that makes sense. And there's good writing, good voice acting, and a pretty fun story to experience. But yeah, Naughty Dog strengths is the narrative, attention to detail, character building and a cinematic type game. All the things the reboot is trying to be, but fails at. I also think the puzzles of the reboot is a complete joke, even Shadows'. It's just about attaching a rope here, a rope there and see what happens. That's not difficult at all, and they've the same thing for three games, but it entirely depends depends on what you like I guess.

I would say The Lost Legacy is a step up from Uncharted 4 in many ways except that it's shorter. So if you like U4 somewhat, I'd try The Lost Legacy. You'll probably like Chloe.
I agree, that's what bothers me about puzzles in the reboot. They are all focused mostly focused on the bow and ropes. There isn't really any challenge to them despite EM and CD praising them for being logical.
charmedangelin is offline   Reply With Quote