Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > General Chat

Old 16-01-20, 23:27   #11
Samz

Depends on who it is I guess.

Either it'll say broken or maybe we'll get someone who actually wants to appeal to the original fandom.
Samz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-20, 23:32   #12
Tomb Raidering

I can’t imagine my reaction. Really. What would I feel like? Happy? Sad? Excited? Angry? It all depends on the publisher. Who are they? Are they good on their job? Will they understand Tomb Raider? etc.

There’s one thing for sure, Tomb Raider will never be the same as before if it happens. For good, or for bad.
Not trying to sound dramatic... :P
Tomb Raidering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-20, 23:36   #13
Quebsenuef

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRExpertgamer View Post
Wow!! Now that's a very great answer you for me Rai!!

There's certainly NO WAY IN HELL the Tomb Raider franchise would EVER go right back in to its roots like how Core Design have developed their own Tomb Raider games from their own perspective.
I don’t think it’ll go to it’s exact roots either, but I’d like to see some aspects of Classic games brought back.
TR is a weird one where they totally changed what it’s about and the public didn’t really seem to mind at all.

If you go and change Batman to a romantic comedy.. you’ll have tons of people burning down your home. DMC tried a reboot departure and it failed and they had to go back. 007 has different Bonds but it still generally follows the same thing. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

TR is one of those rare instances where they completely changed it and split the fan base but it still is generally successful. It’s not as big as it once was but it’s doing alright. It’s not like Silent Hill where it gets passed around to anyone who wants to do a title in their own way. Maybe one day we’ll get a game that is more geared towards Classic elements in a modern sense. Same hope I have with SH.
Quebsenuef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-20, 23:50   #14
HarleyCroft

They should get together a crew of the TRLE Hall of Fame-ers and put together a classically designed set of levels with more modern platforming controls (LAU style will do)

Now back to Fantasy Dreamland la la laaaa
HarleyCroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-20, 01:44   #15
SnatchingEdges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quebsenuef View Post
I don’t think it’ll go to it’s exact roots either, but I’d like to see some aspects of Classic games brought back.
TR is a weird one where they totally changed what it’s about and the public didn’t really seem to mind at all.

If you go and change Batman to a romantic comedy.. you’ll have tons of people burning down your home. DMC tried a reboot departure and it failed and they had to go back. 007 has different Bonds but it still generally follows the same thing. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

TR is one of those rare instances where they completely changed it and split the fan base but it still is generally successful. It’s not as big as it once was but it’s doing alright. It’s not like Silent Hill where it gets passed around to anyone who wants to do a title in their own way. Maybe one day we’ll get a game that is more geared towards Classic elements in a modern sense. Same hope I have with SH.
TR is bigger than ever in terms of sales, which is a shame imo. My sweet Anniversary deserved more.
SnatchingEdges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-20, 01:48   #16
Quebsenuef

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnatchingEdges View Post
TR is bigger than ever in terms of sales, which is a shame imo. My sweet Anniversary deserved more.
But in comparison to other titles.. it’s not that great. That’s what companies are chasing. They want to squeeze as much money out of people as possible and TR doesn’t quite hit the sweet mark others are getting.
Quebsenuef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-20, 23:38   #17
Draco
Golden

CDProjekt would be stellar.
Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-20, 02:53   #18
Legends

Honestly, anyone else would be okay. How much worse could it really get? It's nothing like it once was, and they can't kill something that's already dead. It's just a cheap Uncharted knock off now, and I'd rather the series die than to see another reboot game.

A new competent developer is exactly what the franchise need.

Last edited by Legends; 18-01-20 at 02:55.
Legends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-20, 21:51   #19
jajay119

It would depend to whom it was sold. I don't know who else I would want to have TR. Years ago I would have said Ubisoft but they would now no doubt just reskin and AC game with Lara and call it a day. EA have dabbled in platforming with Mirror's Edge but haven't really comitted to supporting it fully which is a no for them as they'd probably make more 2013 type games. Right now I think the only external studio that I would trust to make a TR game from a gameplay perspective is Techland. They're more free lance and aren't tied to a publisher though so that would never happen.

In all honesty if we were really to go with a major changeup and still keep the series with SE I would like to see what Avalanche could do with TR - although it would have to be on the condition that it was whoever was in charge of Just Cause 3 cause that was jusy immaculately made. They already have a solid formula for building pretty worlds with good physics and are semi-into platforming too. I wouldn't worry about them making Just Cause with Lara as they wouldn't want it to be too similar anyway. A scenario where Lara gets information from Rico who gives her a grapple before she makes her merry way could be interesting too.

Last edited by jajay119; 18-01-20 at 21:52.
jajay119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-20, 00:07   #20
SnatchingEdges

Quote:
Originally Posted by jajay119 View Post
It would depend to whom it was sold. I don't know who else I would want to have TR. Years ago I would have said Ubisoft but they would now no doubt just reskin and AC game with Lara and call it a day. EA have dabbled in platforming with Mirror's Edge but haven't really comitted to supporting it fully which is a no for them as they'd probably make more 2013 type games. Right now I think the only external studio that I would trust to make a TR game from a gameplay perspective is Techland. They're more free lance and aren't tied to a publisher though so that would never happen.

In all honesty if we were really to go with a major changeup and still keep the series with SE I would like to see what Avalanche could do with TR - although it would have to be on the condition that it was whoever was in charge of Just Cause 3 cause that was jusy immaculately made. They already have a solid formula for building pretty worlds with good physics and are semi-into platforming too. I wouldn't worry about them making Just Cause with Lara as they wouldn't want it to be too similar anyway. A scenario where Lara gets information from Rico who gives her a grapple before she makes her merry way could be interesting too.
Lol I was thinking about Ubisoft the other day and I reached the same conclusion: They'd make another AC game with Lara Croft. Maybe the environments would be better, but the rest would be the same or worse and they'll take no risk at all.

Another company I'd say no from the get go is CD Projekt. Honestly? I have only played TW3 from them, but the controls are clunky.

Last edited by SnatchingEdges; 19-01-20 at 00:11.
SnatchingEdges is offline   Reply With Quote