www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > General Chat

Old 20-04-19, 17:38   #101
Yeauxleaux
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mani_Man View Post
This is one of those missconceptions and argument that makes it look like people want the rich to take a bundle of money and throw it at starving people or sick etc.

It ignores that the 1% could put the money in the cause of stuff like world hunger and not the effect.

How is the saying? Feed a man and he doesnt starve for a short while, teach the man how to fish and he will never be hungry.

Something like that is more what people tend to mean when they point at the possibility of the 1% being able to do real good.

Its not about throwing food or money at a starving town, its about giving them means to make it possible that they can feed their town on their own in a self preserving circle.
Yeah exactly, it's an investment into getting a ball rolling, helping people help themselves.

I can certainly praise people like Shakira, who has funded new schools in developing countries to provide underprivileged children with education. That will have a knock-on positive effect for those children. There's a potential solution to "those damn third worlders popping out 10 kids". She's still very rich having done that. That's the **** I'm talking about when I'm saying "rich people could do more". A little less of this superficial Kardashian **** and more people like Shakira, basically. More investment into green energy and environmental preservation schemes (that's gonna benefit everyone, I think that's probably the most important issue of this century), more investment into small business and promoting entrepreneurship to help deal with this ongoing financial crisis. This is the stuff we need more of.

Last edited by Yeauxleaux; 20-04-19 at 17:50.
Yeauxleaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-19, 18:38   #102
Sir Launcelot
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mani_Man View Post
This is one of those missconceptions and argument that makes it look like people want the rich to take a bundle of money and throw it at starving people or sick etc.

It ignores that the 1% could put the money in the cause of stuff like world hunger and not the effect.

How is the saying? Feed a man and he doesnt starve for a short while, teach the man how to fish and he will never be hungry.

Something like that is more what people tend to mean when they point at the possibility of the 1% being able to do real good.

Its not about throwing food or money at a starving town, its about giving them means to make it possible that they can feed their town on their own in a self preserving circle.
Most homeless/hungry people need to be institutionally cared for in some way.

If you bought the average homeless guy a fishing rod, and taught him how to fish at the river, and told him he could eat that way and sell his extra fish at the market for money, when you came back later you'd find he was gone, and you'd find the brand new fishing rod in the nearest pawnshop where the homeless guy pawned it for money to buy booze/drugs, and you'd find the homeless guy back on his usual corner begging for more money.

It would generally work out that way no matter what enterprise you tried getting the homeless guy into.

If any of us were somehow magically stripped of our identities and dropped onto a street penniless and in beggar's rags, after a moment of despair, we'd start working our way out of it. First, a bath, and clean clothes begged or borrowed, then find a basic job, even if we didn't have a place to sleep, after gathering up some money, a few months later get a cheap flat and better clothes, at that point you are ready to start putting your old life back together.

These people are grossly incapable of that.
Old 20-04-19, 19:01   #103
Scilli
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnay View Post
Cat there will always be people who are anti Muslim who will want to play that game especially in regards to situations like this. There really isn’t much you can do in regards to that crowd and they’re mentality though
Its amazing to me how this mindset got established in the western mindset, when its actually the west that comitted that most horrendous and biggest crimes in human history.
I for instance dont hold the "muslims" as what they want to sell us.
And those extremist cells that call their actions from Islam have never read a single word in the Koran.
They just use that as a free ticket to do crimes. It has nothing to do with the religion.
"Fear the terrorists" is the modern world, which the west wants us to believe and i dont buy that anymore.
If we want to be taken seriously we first need to stop creating problems in other countries we have no business to meddle with.
But thats sadly not going to happen anytime soon, since there are too many intrests for the rich.
Im also amazed that the "chatholic church" already confirmed that they wont spend a single dime on the reperations on Notre Dame. This already shows the hyprocritisim.
Old 21-04-19, 22:34   #104
Boobandie
Professor

Well if the Catholic Church isn't going to put a single cent towards its reconstruction (and the vatican is crazy rich, it's not like they couldn't pay) then when it's re-opened it should be as a museum rather than a practicing Catholic church.

The church already doesn't pay tax and gets to use the building for free. The least they could do is pay to fix it. Really they should be paying rent to the French Government to use it in the first place so it can be properly maintained.

Last edited by Boobandie; 21-04-19 at 22:36.
Boobandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-19, 01:16   #105
Tyrannosaurus
Relic Hunter

France is hardly an impoverished nation. Regardless, it seems the Holy See will contribute in some capacity:

https://cruxnow.com/vatican/2019/04/...-dame-tragedy/
Old Yesterday, 06:19   #106
Woops
Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boobandie View Post
Well if the Catholic Church isn't going to put a single cent towards its reconstruction (and the vatican is crazy rich, it's not like they couldn't pay) then when it's re-opened it should be as a museum rather than a practicing Catholic church.

The church already doesn't pay tax and gets to use the building for free. The least they could do is pay to fix it. Really they should be paying rent to the French Government to use it in the first place so it can be properly maintained.
I completely agree. Are they seriously just waiting for donations?