www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider III

Old 20-04-19, 01:43   #101
NoahCrofRaider
Relic Hunter

I definitely agree with your thoughts, although I find deserts to be fairly appealing environments if done with the right array of colors (like here). I also agree that that Lara’s “plan” was very moronic and reckless, but it was funny to watch so no complaining here.
Old 20-04-19, 18:45   #102
sheepman23
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Final Count View Post
Completely agree, Nevada Desert is wonderful. I actually DO like the desert setting. I'm pretty sure this was my favorite level as a kid. I just loved the concept of moving through the mountains in the desert, while hiding from the occasional Area 51 hi-tech aircraft, to infiltrate the surrounding military compounds - or whatever they are... the enemies look like a biker gang - to get as close as possible to Area 51.
As always, thanks for the comments Final Count.

I'm also not sure what the compounds in this level are for. Are they government-run? Or are they just taken over by a biker gang, like you mention? The gray beard dudes don't look very official, so I could certainly see them being part of a gang.

Quote:
I also LOVE High Security Compound, which I don't get the impression is a very popular level.

I think my top 5 levels of Tomb Raider III goes a little something like Madubu Gorge, Temple Ruins, Nevada Desert, High Security Compound and then maybe Lud's Gate or Jungle.
Good Top 5 Won't spoil any thoughts on HSC or Madubu yet, but I have a hard time putting Lud's Gate high on anything even though I understand your enjoyment of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeauxleaux View Post
For me, the problem with TR3 isn't so much the "dick-ishness" in the random death traps, it's the limited opportunities to save on Playstation in particular. It would be far more forgiving if you could save as much as you like, or even had autosave checkpoints, so that a cheap death trap doesn't have to set you back 20 minutes. This is the biggest reason I find the game far more tolerable on PC, which I started playing TR3 on recently.
Hi Yeauxleaux! Thanks for commenting, glad you're enjoying the review.

As someone who was raised on PS consoles, I totally understand this. TR3 was a nightmare for me to complete as a kid, or at least it was until I could memorize where all of the death traps were. There were certain levels like Temple Ruins, RX Tech Mines, and Tinnos where I would have spend an exuberant amount of save crystals in proportion to every other level since they were so hard. Not a lot of fun, so yes, I definitely agree that the PC version has been a godsend in comparison. But it's still not immune to frustrations.

Quote:
I hate Lara's brutal killing of innocent people in TR3, I find it out of character even by her standards, but I've spoke on that at length so I won't elaborate here.
Indeed - this will be addressed in the two upcoming reviews and then again in Coastal Village. This game isn't generally a shining moment for Lara's character, which is unfortunate since the combat itself is far more balanced than TR2.

Quote:
Where I disagree, and this is purely a matter of personal taste, is that I actually find that desert landscape quite beautiful. I love the reddish colour scheme and textures and how serene it all looks. It's very reminiscent of like the Grand Canyon and Monument Valley to me (the latter of which they actually used for the backdrop, even though we're in the wrong state, oops).
To be fair, I think TR3's interpretation of the desert environment is quite good actually. I just generally dislike desert themes as a rule in video games. But if they were going to go with it here, then I think they did a pretty good job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahCrofRaider View Post
I definitely agree with your thoughts, although I find deserts to be fairly appealing environments if done with the right array of colors (like here). I also agree that that Lara’s “plan” was very moronic and reckless, but it was funny to watch so no complaining here.
Agreed And I guess it fits whatever narrative the writers needed to get Lara into Area 51... so why not?
sheepman23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-19, 18:58   #103
TrustyBow
Archaeologist

Great review Sheepman! I agree with everything. Considering your hate for desert environments, I guess we won't be seeing a review of TR4? lol

Also, what even was her plan? Driving the jeep over the gate really tiptoes the line between confidence and stupidity.
Old 22-04-19, 23:26   #104
HarleyCroft
Explorer

I love how out of all the enemies you choose to overkill, the avoidable, immobile snakes get it the worst

Another wonderful write-up! I'm stoked to read the upcoming reviews because you mentioned really enjoying Area 51 in another thread It seems more and more reviewers shine only when talking about things they hate, but you have no such weakness. Let your positivity continue to sparkle!
Old Yesterday, 02:25   #105
sheepman23
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrustyBow View Post
Great review Sheepman! I agree with everything. Considering your hate for desert environments, I guess we won't be seeing a review of TR4? lol

Also, what even was her plan? Driving the jeep over the gate really tiptoes the line between confidence and stupidity.
I think Egypt is generally an exception to my distaste for deserts largely because of the affinity for murals and ancient architecture. There's a lot more to do with that type of setting and landscape, and while the colors of TR4 aren't exactly my favorite thing (although some parts, like Alexandria, are quite vibrant and beautiful), it's certainly not enough to make me dislike the game. I love TR4 actually, although I feel that all three of the original trilogy are better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyCroft View Post
I love how out of all the enemies you choose to overkill, the avoidable, immobile snakes get it the worst

Another wonderful write-up! I'm stoked to read the upcoming reviews because you mentioned really enjoying Area 51 in another thread It seems more and more reviewers shine only when talking about things they hate, but you have no such weakness. Let your positivity continue to sparkle!
Thanks Harley! Glad to know my love and hate comes out equally lol. And yes, I was a big fan of Area 51 on replay - even more than I remember being, so can't wait to talk about that soon.
Old Today, 02:25   #106
sheepman23
Relic Hunter

NEVADA
Level 10 - High Security Compound

At the end of High Security Compound, our heroine discovers a small armory containing her pistols, a large medipack, and a loaded desert eagle. With almost 90% of the level's content behind her, Lara proceeds to run into a giant storage area and dispatch a slew of military police, all while "No Waiting Around" blasts in the background. Within about three minutes, Lara goes from being at her most vulnerable to feeling more powerful than ever. We find our way to a shipping truck, hide behind some crates, and enjoy a cold one before being hauled off to Area 51.

That is a hell of an ending, folks.

In Tomb Raider II, the collection of Lara's weaponry didn't feel like a big deal because we retrieved them within five minutes... and we also didn't lose any of our ammunition. As a result, Offshore Rig quickly became a "normal" TR experience once we had a few guns under our belt. But High Security Compound is an entirely different experience. Locked in a jail cell with nothing but a small medipack and save crystals (if you're playing the PS version), the designers basically press the "Reset" button and challenge us to not only start from Square 1, but to practically start from Square 0 with the removal of Lara's signature pistols.

You may be wondering why I chose to start this review off with a depiction of what happens at the High Security Compound's conclusion. The reason is that, quite simply, what happens in the last 10 minutes of this stage is the result of nearly an hour of sneaking around in the shadows. The level's peak moment in the conveyor belt area is only possible because the level actively tested our ability to survive without weapons for a long time. Because of those mini-puzzles, stealth encounters, and general sense of nakedness, we're able to feel the WONDERFUL moment of getting the guns back and going on a rampage throughout the compound.

With that in mind, it's important to remember that High Security Compound isn't always the most exciting level. Indeed, there are times towards its center where I felt myself getting bored, or perhaps slightly annoyed by the use of backtracking and hindering layouts in the satellite dish area. For all intents and purposes, HSC is definitely a flawed level. But one experience at the stage's conclusion does a pretty good job of making some of those flawed bits feel ultimately worth it, and that's important to consider when assessing everything that comes before.

The "frenemy" format from Barkhang Monastery is back in the High Security Compound, and this time, the designers actively expect you to use the prisonmates to progress through the level. It simply isn't possible to gun down the guards in any other way, and the player realizes that fairly quickly. There are several instances over the first 20 minutes where this gameplay tactic is used, and I think it's used just enough to not overstay its welcome.

The latter half of the level instead expects Lara to use the game's surface-level stealth mechanics to sneak by guards. This is certainly a fine gameplay mechanic, and is even quite satisfying to pull off in a few of the scenarios (crawling your way to the laser switch and using it to fry the guard is hilarious ). But I don't think TR3 ever manages to flesh out the stealth options enough to the point where they feel smooth or all that fun to use. For instance, there's a dark crawlspace midway through the level that allows you to see a guard walking by. Even though it fully appears that Lara is out-of-view for the bad guy, I still managed to get caught here (and if memory serves me, I normally do). The other little problem I have is that walking, while sensible for staying quiet, is an extremely slow way to move around, and it certainly makes some bits of this level more tedious than truly fun.

Outside of the emphasis on stealth, the designers do fine work in constructing a level that is quite enjoyable to progress through. Like Nevada Desert, High Security Compound takes the Tomb Raider II philosophy and decides to play it safe with a more straightforward layout. Unlike the desert, however, there's very little platforming; instead, button-and-door puzzles take priority here with traps thrown in at the right times. It's not as fun as the stage's predecessor, but HSC's atmosphere is also perfectly suited for this subdued form of progression. The traps are also pretty fair for the most part, with only a few true examples of "dick" moments that the designers seem to love so much. This includes a hidden underwater fan that will suck Lara in and kill her without warning , and ocassionally razor-thin lasers which are ridiculously difficult to see on the PC. The second point is more of an issue with frame rate than actual design, but is still a problem (and will be even more so in Area 51).

Back to HSC's atmosphere - the classic "heartbeat" ambient track makes a return in both this level and the next, and it works well for the interior of a compound crawling with guards. No, it doesn't give quite the same chills as being 40 fathoms under the sea in a sunken ship, but it's arguably more in-tune with HSC's style since the heartbeats make us even more aware of our tip-toeing around the compound.

There's not a ton to say about the level's enemies - there are military guards and dogs thrown in towards the end. The MP enemies are another sign of TR3's issues with morality; this time, our heroine isn't gunning down random London patrolmen, but rather government police. While one could argue that these guys are using brutal force on Lara or running a shady operation in the compound, it's still incredibly odd that Lara thinks she has the capacity to get away with this much murder. Does this station not have security cameras? Those were a thing in 1998... right?

Secret-wise, I completely forgot about Secret #1 when I was trying to write this review, and #2 features a backtrack to kill a single guard for... the grenade launcher. Unfortunately, it's harder to give this one props when Aldwych already presented us with a final secret treasure trove. This one feels very meek in comparison, especially when you figure that they could've at least given us the Uzis or Rocket Launcher here instead.

In case I didn't make it clear enough in my opening: retrieving the pistols and Eagle from the armory and proceeding to go on a massacre through the rest of the compound is one of the best moments in the game. Again, the musical score of "No Waiting Around" pays off incredibly in times like this. It's the classic case of a track that holds back until just the right moment, and then releases an entourage of melodic, forceful notes to send us into the homestretch. It's probably my favorite piece of TR3, and guess what? We're still not done with it in the Nevada levels!

After retrieving a pass key and making our way out to the trucking area, Lara hops on board of a semi to get carried away to Area 51. No idea how she knew this truck would be here - or that this truck would be going there at all - but hey, who am I to argue with a section that gives little to no explanation on what Lara's plan is here? In fact, that's really a recurring issue with a lot of Tomb Raider III. Our heroine always seems to have an end goal (collect X artifact), but little plan for how to get there. I still have no idea why she was wandering around the London rooftops or randomly biking over a deadly fence in the desert, but hey! It somehow(?) got her where she needed to go!

Conclusion

Pros:
+ Excellent variance of gameplay through use of stealth and frenemy encounters
+ Solid straightforward design that's filled with mini-puzzles
+ Atmosphere is pretty on-point
+ Weapons are kept from you long enough to make their retrieval far more satisfying
+ The final shootout is awesome

Cons:
- Middle portion of the stage can become tedious
- Stealth mechanics could have used some more fleshing out
- Secrets could have been MUCH more rewarding, especially since we just lost all of our ammo and guns

To be honest, I balanced between two different ratings for High Security Compound for a while, and I'm still not entirely sure that my final decision is correct. But I went with the higher of the two options. While I believe that HSC contains some flaws and isn't always the most engaging adventure, I think the designers ultimately did a solid job with their attempt at a prison break. While understanding Lara's plans and motivations may be lost on me, the gameplay progression isn't, and I think that final discovery of Lara's weapons and subsequent shootout catapults an otherwise so-so experience into great territory. As a result, this is certainly a recommendable stage - even if it has a tendency to sometimes drag on.

Rating - 8/10
  1. Aldwych (9/10)
  2. Nevada Desert (9/10)
  3. Temple Ruins (8/10)
  4. High Security Compound (8/10)
  5. Jungle (8/10)
  6. City (8/10)
  7. Lud's Gate (6/10)
  8. The River Ganges (6/10)
  9. Thames Wharf (6/10)
  10. Caves of Kaliya (4/10
Old Today, 09:58   #107
Final Count
Hobbyist

I'm starting to repeat myself, but again: Great review, and I agree a lot!

Your reviews made me want to play through the game once again, here during Easter. I completed it yesterday.

I believe this was the 6th time I completed the game from start to finish, but I have played several levels in the game NUMEROUS times, so it didn't really feel like ONLY the 6th playthrough. But obviously, there are places in the game I know like my own pocket, and places in the game where I feel like I'm starting from scratch every time... Antarctica in particular.

Something strange I've recalled, is that when I played through the game the very first time (around December 1998 to April 1999), I remember that there were certain routes I did differently, than in all my subsequent playthroughs. For example, I vaguely remember doing an entirely different route through the rooftop section at the beginning of Thames Wharf, than the one we are supposed to do. The Flue Room Key, and putting out the fire in the chimney, was only something I did, when I started an "all secrets"- playthrough, and in all my subsequent playthroughs, that's what I've done. So I can't recall what the hell I did back when I played it for the first time.

The same thing with High Security Compound. I vaguely recall that I did something different in the area with the big satellite dish when I was a kid, than I've done in my playthroughs since then. But I can't recall what exactly it was.

I guess this is all part of what makes Tomb Raider III so great. There's so many ways to do everything. There are still routes in the game that feel completely unfamiliar to me (like the route you get in River Ganges if you turn right, the route in Madubu Gorge where you get the Kayak at the beginning, or the tree top route in Jungle).
Final Count is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:04   #108
Final Count
Hobbyist

I thought it would be fun to share a few notes from my recent playthrough. I hope it's ok to do it here, instead of starting a new thread. It's not a review, more just a collection of things I thought about, while playing.

Jungle (9/10)
- How did Lara get herself on top of that mud slope? And how does she know about the Infada Stone?
- "The Jungles of India" track makes me weak in my knees.
- I love the flow of this level. It's the perfect opening level. Perfectly balanced in terms of difficulty, and the locations are beautiful.
- Killing endangered Bengal Tigers feels uncomfortable.
- The monkeys are adorable. Has anyone ever done some actual research into why they turn on you in Temple Ruins? Is it avoidable?

Temple Ruins (10/10)
- The cobras terrified me as a kid. They terrified me to the extent, that I had my sister control Lara when they were around.
- The Shiva statues are awesome, but an absolute pain in the ass.
- Some of the quicksand puzzles feel buggy. Why can she breathe under the surface in some places, and not in some other places?
- This level is really the epitome of Tomb Raider. It might not be a tomb per se, but it truly is what Tomb Raider is all about.

River Ganges (4/10)
- After all these years, I still don't like this level. It really is "The Quad Bike-level", but it's like the level designers forgot about that. I'm not having fun riding the bike, because the level doesn't let me.
- The right-hand route is, to this day, still pretty much uncharted territory to me.
- The fact that it is the Ganges river is very headache inducing, as there is no rainforest, or barely any forest at all, near the actual Ganges river.

Caves of Kaliya (6/10)
- I really like this level, but I do kind of wish that River Ganges and Caves of Kaliya would've been one big level instead. Would've been a greater sense of journey.
- I don't mind the maze, but I really hate turning a corner to get startled by a cobra.
- The cobra pit was, and kind of still is, nightmare fuel.
- Tony also scared me as a kid. I was easy to scare back then. I do think the head-bopping without moving his mouth may have been part of the reason though.

Coastal Village (7/10)
- If anyone refuses to believe that a video game from 1998 can look gorgeous, the beginning of Coastal Village will prove them wrong.
- I always did a mix of the two routes. This time I only did the Serpent Stone-route.
- Gunning down a Polynesian tribe feels wrong.

Crash Site (7/10)
- Someone in here once described this as Lost Valley on steroids. That's a perfect description.
- Crash Site is perhaps the most combat-heavy level of Tomb Raider III. My main gripe with Tomb Raider II was how combat-heavy it was when replaying it. I find combat the least appealing aspect of the classic Tomb Raider games.
- I feel sorry for the people who went through the caves to the top of the plane, before getting the keys.

Madubu Gorge (10/10)
- Madubu Gorgeous, am I right?
- If I could visit any place from a Tomb Raider game, in real life, it would be Madubu Gorge.
- This might be the most immersive Tomb Raider level of all-time. I'm 100% at Madubu Gorge, whenever I play this level.
- I love how we go all the way down the gorge in the kayak, and then have to make our way back to the top on our own.
- The fact that an ancient temple is hidden under a cave, at the bottom of a gorge, is what Tomb Raider is all about.

Temple of Puna (5/10)
- Tomb Raider does Crash Bandicoot!
- Forget about what I said earlier: Those poison-dart blowing Polynesians deserve every bullet.
- Puna (I guess that is the boss' name?) is ridiculously easy, when you've stacked up on rockets. The fight barely even got going.

Nevada Desert (10/10)
- My favorite level as a kid.
- The sense of infiltrating a place where we are not supposed to be, is spot-on.
- The Area 51-aircrafts are a great warning of what lies ahead in the Nevada chapter.

High Security Compound (10/10)
- Tomb Raider does Metal Gear Solid!
- I love No Weapons-levels in Tomb Raider, and this is my favorite. Well... Offshore Rig can piss off.
- The fact that Lara needs help from the prisoners is a cool little puzzle element, but... seriously? Lara is the planet's biggest bad ass, and she can't Martial Arts her way through a couple of MPs?
- The soundtrack oozes atmosphere in this level. Just wow.
- The stealth mechanics are obviously tacked on, but they work surprisingly well.
- Goosebumps-galore when Lara gets her guns back. Easily a top 10 moment of the entire series.

Area 51 (8/10)
- Not quite as fun as the similar High Security Compound, but still great.
- The guard at the top of the tower towards the end of the level was the EXACT half-way point of my 7 hours and 31 minutes casual playthrough.
- Some may argue that this level has taken the franchise too far away from its roots, but isn't Area 51 just a more modern take on a tomb? The UFO and the Alien-lab feel like modern takes on a tomb and a sarcophageus.

Thames Wharf (7/10)
- This level is soaked in atmosphere. I immediately feel cold, wet and overwhelmed.
- The first time I played Tomb Raider III, i did a route that I've never managed to repeat, because I don't remember it.
- The cutscene at the end of this level is my favorite of the entire game.
- All Hallows would've made much more sense after this level than Aldwych. Why did they cut it?

Aldwych (7/10)
- I've never had fun with this level, except this time. This time I actually remembered that I had to go to the top of the room before the dig-machine-blade-thing twice. I think I wasted an hour running around not knowing what to do, the last time I played it.
- This truly is another modern take on a classic Tomb Raider collection. Aldwych feels like a place that hasn't been thought about for ages.
- Unfortunately, there are some incredibly dumb game design here as well. Why could we not see the coin before turning on the lights? Why does only one ticket booth work? Why can't Lara just climb over the ticket booth? Why do we need a Masonic hammer to knock off a lockpad? I feel these knock the rating down a bit.

Lud's Gate (8/10)
- I know Lara and the Damned are all good friends now, but it must be a bit awkward that she just murdered, like, 15 of them in Aldwych?
- There's a great sense of journey in this level, that I really love.
- They really screwed up by having it be the Natural History Museum instead of the British Museum. Let's just pretend it was the Damned's leader who screwed up.
- It makes no sense that we go from catacombs below London, to a high-rise office complex, but looking at the level in Tomb Viewer actually reveals, that we swim to the top of Sophia's office. Perhaps London skyscrapers just have incredibly big water pipes?
- Lud's Gate has an infamous legacy, in particular due to the underwater maze, which I understand. I take my hat off to those brave soldiers who did this on PlayStation back in the day. I've always played the game on PC.

City (6/10)
- Electrocuting Sophia feels great. How could she return for The Lost Artifact?
- The fact that we are being picked up by a helicopter at the end of this level always made me play it last before Antarctica. It ties in greatly with the FMV for that chapter.

Antarctica (7/10)
- Tomb Raider does John Carpenter's The Thing!
- The highlight of the level is getting startled by the mutant at the research station.
- Due to the non-linear nature of this level, I've always remembered this level as one of those "Where the hell do I go?" sort of levels. This time I, to my own big surprise, breezed through the level. It's actually pretty short!
- Antarctica is the weakest chapter in the game, in my opinion, with this level being the strongest.

RX Tech Mines (5/10)
- Tomb Raider does Resident Evil!
- 1998 was a great year for several big video game franchises, and Tomb Raider III manages to include aspects of those different franchises, and make them it's own thing.
- This level is truly terrifying. The dark room with the grated floor is horrible!
- Never cared much for RX Tech Mines. Still don't.

The Lost City of Tinnos (6/10)
- Absolutely brutal level. It looks beautiful, but I'm not too crazy about anything else about it.
- This is The Temple of Xian of Tomb Raider III, isn't it? It's not nearly as fun though.
- The left-arrow key on my keyboard doesn't work properly. Because of this, I spent almost 15 minutes failing that annoying jump at the beginning of the level, until I realized I could use the 4-numpad key instead.
- I love whenever puzzles related to Earth, Wind, Fire and Water are incorporated, but I only think the Fire puzzle truly works this time. Perhaps the Wind puzzle too.
- The wasps are the worst enemy-type in any Tomb Raider game. But they look great!
- As a kid, I remember thinking that the blue crystals in the Wind maze, were the most beautiful things I had ever seen in a video game.

Meteorite Cavern (4/10)
- There was no music for my fight against Willard. A bug? It felt very anticlimatic.
- I like how the game apologizes for not letting us murder the friendly RX flamethrower guys in RX Tech Mines, by having them show up at the end of the game instead, for us to kill.
- My heart was broken as a kid, with the lame ending FMV. It still bugs me that they couldn't come up with something better than that.

And a quick ranking...

Madubu Gorge (10/10)
High Security Compound (10/10)
Nevada Desert (10/10)
Temple Ruins (10/10)
Jungle (9/10)
Area 51 (8/10)
Lud's Gate (8/10)
Coastal Village (7/10)
Thames Wharf (7/10)
Crash Site (7/10)
Aldwych (7/10)
Antarctica (7/10)
The Lost City of Tinnos (6/10)
Caves of Kaliya (6/10)
City (6/10)
Temple of Puna (5/10)
RX Tech Mines (5/10)
River Ganges (4/10)
Meteorite Cavern (4/10)

A few fun statistical things I noticed:
- NOTE: This was a very casual playthrough. I did not hurry, but I did not explore everything and find all secrets or anything like that either.
- City was the shortest level, at only 4 minutes. I was very surprised that River Ganges was the second shortest level, taking me only 1 minute more than City to complete.
- The Lost City of Tinnos was the longest level, at about 40 minutes. I was very surprised to find out, that I only took 2 more minutes completing this level, than I took completing both Aldwych and Lud's Gate. The Lost City of Tinnos feels like a marathon, compared to those.
- Like I pointed out under Area 51, the exact halfway-point for my playthrough, was gunning down the soldier at the top of the tower in this level.
- The London chapter took the longest time to complete, in about 1 hour and 50 minutes. India was the shortest, in about 1 hour.

Last edited by Final Count; Today at 16:26.
Final Count is online now   Reply With Quote