Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Level Editor and Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor

Old 26-11-17, 18:46   #1
ThiagoTR

Default Top 3: Best Tomb Raider Custom Levels

This is a thread dedicated to the 3 Best levels ever made, in your opinion.
It would be interesting to put the 3 best levels and give a short summary of why it is the best level in your vision.

It would be nice to know the best levels in your eyes, and maybe this could even influence and serve as recommendations for other players/builders.

Starting by me...

Top 3

1st place: Ancient Artefact II by Maax87 (Everything is very perfect, exactly the way I like it, atmosphere here is surreal and the bonus level was the icing on the cake.. It was because of this game that I became interested in level editor, thank you for this Maax).

2nd place: Tomb Raider Requiem by vinraider (What's a game, this was my company during the Christmas and New Year period while I was alone at home. The mix of TR2 and TR6 was amazing. The feeling this game gave me was one of the best in my life. Please world, play this game).

3rd place: Mists of Avalon by Titak (A game that I reluctantly avoided playing, but in the end I ended up surrendering to this masterpiece, I was so astonished at the details. This game is part of one of the happiest moments of my life).
ThiagoTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-17, 19:51   #2
A_De

Requiem? No, thanks. Stupid pixel-perfect jumps based on engine limitations are not my piece of cake. No matter how good reviews it has, I couldn't beat it myself nor with walkthrough Binned forever because of that.

To stay within topic I put my favorites here:
1. TR Redemption. Just perfect classic-styled game.
2. TR4 Gold - Fading Light. Very atmospheric set of various locations with a good gameplay.
3. Third place is being shared between Croft Curse and Mists of Avalon. Both are beautiful and enjoyable.

Last edited by A_De; 26-11-17 at 19:52.
A_De is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-17, 20:11   #3
Patrick star

Hmmm , that's very difficult , I've played over 200 ones as of now , and most of them are rated above 8 , aka excellent , but squeezing my brain , I guess my top 3 would be :

1# Tomb Raider Redemption
2# Tomb Raider : Ancient Artifact II
3# Jade Empire
Patrick star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-17, 14:48   #4
Feder

There are so many amazing custom levels, all of them made with TR4 engine of course. It's hard to pick just 3, mostly because I'm a fan of classic TR so my opinion would be very subjective (I would put Tomb Raider Peru above Mists Of Avalon, even though the last one is indeed a revolutionary work of art).

Plus, it would be unfair to the other engines that have great levels too, as far as the limits allow them. So, instead of doing this, I'll pick the best level of each underrated engine:

-Poseidon's Sanctum Reboot (TR3) by Sarikman; a sensational multi-character adventure of 11 levels with a solid storyline, that allows you to play as Curtis, Sophia and Lara eventually, without a single second of boring.

-Cape Fear (TR2) by The Vagrant; step inside a very spooky and nasty swamp mansion filled with enemies and traps (typical TR2), with and incredible atmosphere and a very fun gameplay.

-Villa Mortal 2 (TR1) by Tha Vagrant; this level certainly expands the limits as the author was able to change the general cubical architecture, providing something never seen in TR1 levels, accompany with a very amazing design and excellent ambiences.
Feder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-17, 21:46   #5
TombGuardian

Very hard choice, I loved too many levels
but if I have to pick right now, without thinking too much...
I put 2 levels in 3rd place just because I felt like it, too hard choice

3.1) Frozen Past by Francesco Venco:
Tinnos styled level, with GREAT ideas and environment. It's unbelievable something like that in the second level was possible in TRLE( I won't spoil anything, but if you have played this level, you'll know)
Maybe the best Ice - Styled level ever made

3.2) Tomb Raider: Requiem by vinraider:
Level that has a mix of TRAOD and classic lara. All levels have some of the best environments in TRLE, the story is entertaining, there are various locations never seen before in TRLE levels(Vatican Museum is an example).
The only thing that makes it fall a bit is it's difficulty, requiring you to reload a bunch of times. It wasn't as tragic as people kept saying, but still pretty tough.

2) Wreck of the Blue Storm by Quasar:
One of the first levels I played, and if it not was for today, this was going to be my favourite level. This game is the best Ship level in TRLE in my opinion, it has good ambience, it is scary, or better, it gives you anxiety
It is most about exploration and puzzles. The thing is that we can see Lara going from the main hall, to the engine/steam rooms, to the theatre, to the private museum. The boss fight is so cool, too!
And how not to forget the final level

1) Tomb Raider: Redemption by MagPlus
Ok. Let's explain this.
Since it's release, neither it's title nor the screens have catched my eyes. I saw it with high scores and it was the first in the 'Top levels' category for an year, I was like 'How a level like that is rated so high?'. Yeah. I was judging the level by it's book.
The level has been in HoF for some time now, and I thought it is the time to put at a side the prejudices, and play it.
And I can say that I was COMPLETELY WRONG.
This is one of the best levels ever.
New mechanics and LAU moves used perfectly.
'Lore' with all the pages to understand more about the devilish monsters.
Many secrets(but some were easy to get)
Good environments, good animations, perfect models.
The gameplay was pretty fun, and I've been able to play 8 hours straight without wanting to stop.
I don't know what else to say, if you didn't, I highly reccommend this

That's it, I know I'm strange
TombGuardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-17, 12:05   #6
Ruu11

1. Mists of Avalon - Titak
Titak goddess of TRLE, she is the best & will always be. Her work is the closest thing to perfection and I specially LOVE Mists of Avalon because it was the first custom level I played that I said: "Wow, after playing this I don't think that can be anything better" she is definitely an inspiration for all of us.

2. Forgotten Remnants - Caesum
I really love to see great TRAOD fans. Caesum is one of them.
Forgotten Remnants is actually the best custom level based on TRAOD. The Lux Veritatis Sanctum always takes my breath away... I hope he makes another level based on the most underrated Tomb Raider ever.

3. The Beginning (Demo) - GeckoKid
GeckoKid, such an amazing level author. His animation work is the best I ever seen, the best so far. The Beginning, even being a DEMO, is so beautiful & great... I really hope that he finish his work (don't know anything about him for a while, he's like missing)

Ruu11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-17, 05:18   #7
larafan12

3rd place: Jurassic Park by GMac. Super well-made, fun, atmospheric, and great use of TR3 engine and graphics (my fave style of the original Tomb Raiders). A bit annoying at times though.

2nd place: Path to Damnation by mathew9r. It's so darn cool, unique, and atmospheric. I love the craft and cinematic flair that went into it, and something about the vibe and intriguing hellish designs draw me to it.

1st place: Silent Hill by MPGrill. As a huge fan of the Silent Hill series, I was super stoked about this level. It did the series plenty of justice, and captured the exact feel and gameplay of playing a Silent Hill game as good as Tomb Raider possibly could. Incredible visuals, intriguing story, super engrossing atmosphere, and overall nice gameplay. Just loved it so much. Perfect game to play during the cold of winter!
larafan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-17, 14:22   #8
FantaseaII

So far here is my top 3 :

1/Mist of avalon (meta2tr was impressive here)

2/coyote creek 2 (special mention to canyon level)

3/Trix a time odyssey (simple ahead of it's time back in the days)
FantaseaII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-17, 16:06   #9
Tulilintu

It's brutal to make us choose only three, but oh well. These three I've enjoyed the most so far.

1. Mists of Avalon
2. Tomb Raider Requiem
3. Ancient Artifact II

I also love Shalebridge Murder Mystery, Jerusalem Project, No Xmas Without a Tree, King Arthur Time Portal, Himalayan Mysteries and Coyote Creek II, and many many more.
Tulilintu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-17, 16:23   #10
GabrielCroft

1 - Reflection of Eternity by teme9
The deep jungle surrounding the ruins and the challenges, textures... everything in this level made me fall in love with it.

2 - Neon God by Horus
A classic. I love this since I was a kid. It took years for me to finish it. I'm not kidding. My favorite level is Tauromaquia and I'll never forget!

3 - Mists of Avalon by Titak
Of course, this entire custom is a gem. It really feels like you're playing a sequel to TR Underworld. I can't wait for the next one to release.
GabrielCroft is offline   Reply With Quote