www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Franchise > Tomb Raider Motion Pictures, Shows and Shorts

Old 23-06-22, 23:42   #19691
Portugalraider
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyCroft View Post
Did she though?
Yes.

white text because I need more text so I can actually post
Old 23-06-22, 23:55   #19692
Rai

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyCroft View Post
Would Lara being recast be that bad?
Honestly if it's either get a sequel with Alicia or wait until the next reboot.. I would be willing to be patient
As long as the new actress did a stellar job, then I'd accept the change, but I really want Alicia to have another go. She was excellent as reboot Lara with added confidence and sass, so I think she'd do well as a slightly older, more distinguished Lara too.

Geek, I'm glad you liked the live experience. So they had the video of Alicia up?

Last edited by Rai; 24-06-22 at 00:28.
Rai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-22, 11:45   #19693
GeekOfComedy
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rai View Post
As long as the new actress did a stellar job, then I'd accept the change, but I really want Alicia to have another go. She was excellent as reboot Lara with added confidence and sass, so I think she'd do well as a slightly older, more distinguished Lara too.

Geek, I'm glad you liked the live experience. So they had the video of Alicia up?
No Video when I went but Alicia has a bigger presence than the video at the beginning. At the end you will see Lara (but face backlit) face the villain.
GeekOfComedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-22, 12:38   #19694
Amunet
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by .snake. View Post
I say Haley Atwell should finally be cast for the role.
I would love to have Hayley as the live action Lara Croft (and as the voice for the games). If they write the part right, I just know Hayley will be perfect as Lara.

As for Alicia, I never really warmed up to her take as Lara so I wouldn't mind the role being recast.
Old 24-06-22, 15:01   #19695
PinkyPromise
Professor

The problem with Alicia is that she is not as popular as Angelina in terms of marketing. Angelina could have gotten financing to TR3, TR4 (We didn't have any more TR sequels with Angelina because she didn't want to.)... Alicia was popular in 2016: she won the Oscar, then Jason Bourne... but she has chosen small and independent films and is not an actress of great movies. If she was very popular I would see Amazon/MGM financing TR2 already.

So it wouldn't be weird if they waited a while and they chose another more popular actress to recast/reboot the franchise. It can also happen that Alicia does something (another Oscar nomination) that she becomes popular again and then TR2 becomes a priority with her again for amazon/MGM. But Irma Vep will not be that.

Last edited by PinkyPromise; 24-06-22 at 15:05.
PinkyPromise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-22, 15:29   #19696
beencroft
Inactive

I don’t think popularity is the case. Alicia was cast as Lara because she got the role for Lara. If they wanted an extremely popular actress to play Lara, then they should’ve had the budget for that specific actress and went on with it. A recast makes no sense unless Alicia doesn’t want to do the role of Lara Croft anymore or she’s done something severely problematic that’ll hurt the franchise. What is the problem is that it’s taking forever to get TR2 on the role and more people will continue to lose interest and forget that TR2 was even a thing to begin with. There’s many things that have stopped TR2 from happening at the moment, but we can’t do anything about it as fans expect wait.

They’ve chose Alicia for TRLIVE, so I highly doubt she’s done for. She’s representing unified Lara for us. I’m sure the sequel will be a time skip now, but she’ll be such a heavenly mix of all Laras for us if the sequel does pick up.

A new actress should come if they wait to make the next movie after the new games. That’ll take a while and it’ll for sure be a different story to tell.
beencroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-22, 15:36   #19697
PinkyPromise
Professor

Quote:
I don’t think popularity is the case.
Popularity is very important in a 100M movie. Alicia won the role because she had just won an Oscar and she was a rising star.

"Oscar winner Alicia Vikander as Lara Croft" announced in the trailers... it's no accident. Cinema is a business and if you want someone to put up money to make a movie, you need guarantees

You have a very idealized vision of the world of cinema. Amazon/MGM doesn't care about the unification. The movies are independent and far from this. Investors who finance the 100M of a TR movie don't care about that. They want to know if the actress will help sell popcorn (Like adding asian stars to Chinese market, having action scenes every X amount of time, the duration...)

Last edited by PinkyPromise; 24-06-22 at 15:41.
PinkyPromise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-22, 16:25   #19698
beencroft
Inactive

If Alicia is still onboard then that’s great. Misha even said herself that she’ll (Alicia) make her look good. I just don’t think she should be recast, because she’s not ‘popular’ enough anymore. Especially if she’s down to play her again. She’s waiting just like we all are. And she’s proved herself to sell popcorn. Much thanks to overseas, we’re getting a sequel. I’d say have a diverse story to tell and we have a good look so far.
beencroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-22, 11:45   #19699
AimlessThunder
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkyPromise View Post
Popularity is very important in a 100M movie. Alicia won the role because she had just won an Oscar and she was a rising star.

"Oscar winner Alicia Vikander as Lara Croft" announced in the trailers... it's no accident. Cinema is a business and if you want someone to put up money to make a movie, you need guarantees

You have a very idealized vision of the world of cinema. Amazon/MGM doesn't care about the unification. The movies are independent and far from this. Investors who finance the 100M of a TR movie don't care about that. They want to know if the actress will help sell popcorn (Like adding asian stars to Chinese market, having action scenes every X amount of time, the duration...)
That's not always the case.. *cough* Daisy Ridley *COUGH*. She was unknown before Star Wars, appearing only in small commercials.

https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertain...tar-wars.html/

If they wanted someone popular they would have went ahead with Meagan Fox or Olivia Wilder, or someone just as famous.

It's clear that they saw potential in Alicia. It's no one's fault that COVID happened.

Last edited by AimlessThunder; 25-06-22 at 13:09.
AimlessThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-22, 13:19   #19700
Rai

Alicia has talent and is versatile; she's willing to try different things. She hasn't allowed herself to be pigeonholed into specific roles such as romantic comedy or period pieces. Yes, her being an Oscar winner was used as part of the marketing, it makes sense they'd capitalise on that. She's still an Oscar winning actress, she didn't have it taken away, it's just not recent. She may not have fallen into the typical Hollywood popular actress type but I get the impression it's her choice more than she just isn't being cast in blockbusters. Maybe Amazon would want a bigger name, but honestly I think they'd be daft to change the actress they have who proved herself in the role, who's still willing and will put her whole into it. Being popular takes time as well. Even Angelina wasn't 'popular ' at first. If they want an actress for the marketability, then they need to pay the big bucks for that. Or they could keep Alicia, who's not exactly an unknown, so she has that going for her and she's already been in the role before.

Last edited by Rai; 25-06-22 at 13:20.
Rai is offline   Reply With Quote