www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider

Old 04-04-22, 17:18   #1
Rawkmann
Hobbyist

Default Friendly or no Animals Mod?

Just wondering if such a thing exists or if it would be possible. The classic Tomb Raider games have always been my favorites but lately I find having to kill the native animals distasteful and tedious honestly. I would love to be able to play through all the older games this way.
Rawkmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-22, 01:05   #2
mizuno_suisei
Relic Hunter

Not really. You could use say, FexinspectSK to replace enemies on each levels map with say, a medipack if you wanted but, editing levels like this is known to cause other issues in the level that can render it unplayable or not able to be completed.

Remember also, it is a video game hah, it's not real life. You could try to imagine these animals as "a group of meshes" designed to stop working after a certain amount of delivered weapons damage - which is technically speaking exactly what they are. I first played the classic TR games when I was 5years old and aged each year along with their releases and i was able to nicely distinguish reality from fantasy. Without a reason to deplete ammunition throughout the game, renders collecting supplies kinda redundant no
mizuno_suisei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-22, 08:17   #3
b122251
Explorer

This could easily be done with my tool "trmod". The levels could definitely be playable, but I fear the game might be very boring without enemies. You know what? I'll write a script to do this when I get home from work.
b122251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-22, 21:45   #4
Rawkmann
Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by b122251 View Post
This could easily be done with my tool "trmod". The levels could definitely be playable, but I fear the game might be very boring without enemies. You know what? I'll write a script to do this when I get home from work.
That would be fantastic actually thanks so much! I know its not real life but as I have gotten older I have become more sympathetic towards animals and i cant help that it bugs me to have to kill them even if its just in a videogame. I literally could not enjoy Shadow of the TR because of the Jaguar fight at the beginning.
Old 06-04-22, 17:49   #5
Ifrit61
Student

Quote:
You never cease to amaze me.
Ifrit61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-22, 18:03   #6
Uzi master
Relic Hunter

You could just not shoot them you know... No need to remove them from the game.
Uzi master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-22, 03:10   #7
Rawkmann
Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uzi master View Post
You could just not shoot them you know... No need to remove them from the game.
Ive tried no animal killing playthroughs but admittedly, I find certain sections far too frustrating to get through with a bunch of critters running around while Im trying to move blocks or searching for keys.
Old 08-04-22, 14:53   #8
b122251
Explorer

Hi, so I made that mod (mostly just to demonstrate why I made trmod a command-line tool). Namely, the possibility of scripting makes it easy to do things no other tool can do (or not do without hours of work).

This mod removes all enemies, weapons, ammo and health packs (to still keep a bit of a challenge). It can be downloaded here (just replace the level files of your TR1 installation with the ones from this archive). I also included the shell script used to make this, in case anybody wants to play around with it. It's so generic that with only a few modifications to the first few lines any collection of ObjectID's can be removed from any set of levels of any TR game (or at least any TR-game supported by trmod).

Have fun!
b122251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-22, 19:43   #9
Rawkmann
Hobbyist

I really appreciate this, I will be tyring it out after work tonight!
Old 10-04-22, 10:19   #10
CircusBabysGal
Historian

Quote:
Hi, so I made that mod (mostly just to demonstrate why I made trmod a command-line tool). Namely, the possibility of scripting makes it easy to do things no other tool can do (or not do without hours of work).

This mod removes all enemies, weapons, ammo and health packs (to still keep a bit of a challenge). It can be downloaded here (just replace the level files of your TR1 installation with the ones from this archive). I also included the shell script used to make this, in case anybody wants to play around with it. It's so generic that with only a few modifications to the first few lines any collection of ObjectID's can be removed from any set of levels of any TR game (or at least any TR-game supported by trmod).

Have fun!
This is cool! But how will anyone be able to beat the game? Some boss fights literally require you to kill inorder to progress (Mutant and Natla)