www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider III

Old 19-05-22, 10:45   #1
Greenapple968
Tomb Raider

Arrow Minimum Deaths Of Enemies And Allies (Challenge For TR2+TR3+TR4)

Menkaure's Pyramid:

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUjQxLagMTM

Playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...Izo6xvjjII0epQ

This is a new challenge that I've taken on for Tomb Raider 2, Tomb Raider 3 and Tomb Raider Last Revelation. It is a Minimum Deaths Of Enemies And Allies Challenge. The objective of this challenge is for me to complete the levels from those three games which contain allies, and attempt to minimise the number of enemies and allies being killed. So I have to try to minimise the number of enemies being killed by allies, as well as the number of enemies being killed by me. I also have to try to minimise the number of allies being killed by enemies, as well as the number of allies being killed by me.

This will mean doing videos for the following levels:
Crash Site, TR3 (Soldiers)
Lud's Gate, TR3 (The Damned)
High Security Compound, TR3 (Prisoners)
Area 51, TR3 (Prisoners)
RX-Tech Mines, TR3 (Flamethrower Guys)
Barkhang Monastery, TR2 (Monks)
Menkaure's Pyramid, TR4 (Soldiers)
Khufu's Queens Pyramids, TR4 (Soldiers)

I also have the additional restrictions of:
All Secrets
Minimum Healthpacks
Limited Saves
Pistols Only

To elaborate on "Minimum Healthpacks", I aim to keep the healthpack usage to a minimum. Ideally I won't use any healthpacks, but that might not be possible in some levels.
To elaborate on "Limited Saves", in TR2 and Last Revelation I am restricted to three saves per level. In TR3, I play as if I enter each level without any savegame crystals. Meaning that the number of savegame crystals that I collect in a level is the number of times that I'm allowed to save, and I have to collect a crystal before I can save with it.

In this video you see me complete Menkaure's Pyramid, the third level of the Giza section from Tomb Raider Last Revelation. There are 12 enemies and two allies in this level, totalling to 14 characters. I successfully managed to complete this level with 1/14 characters being killed. The character who died was the soldier at 02:35, who got killed by the scorpion. It is impossible to prevent a kill from happening here. The soldier possesses the Guard's Keys which are needed for completing the level. In order to obtain the keys, either you have to allow the scorpion to kill the soldier, or you have to save the soldier by killing the scorpion. Regardless of whether the soldier dies or the scorpion dies, you end up with the death of a character.

A problem with the Giza section is that the scorpions don't just go after the soldiers; they also go after the beetles. Because of this, I had to keep the beetles safe from the scorpions. Having a soldier or beetle alive will result in the scorpions not being hostile towards you unless you shoot them, and this is something that I used to my advantage in this level. If a soldier or beetle is present and you shoot a scorpion, then the scorpion will ignore the soldier/beetle and only go after you. I shot the scorpions at 00:58, 02:58 and 03:02, and this was to stop them from killing beetles.

You'll notice that I shot the scorpion at 00:58 a number of times during the level, and there was a reason for this. Not including Lara, this game can only have five active characters at once. An enemy counts as a character, as does an ally. If you have more than five characters present at once then only five of them will be active, whereas the other characters will become inactive. The five characters who are closest to you are the ones who will be active, and the characters that are further away will be inactive. Due to the high number of characters in this level, the scorpion who I shot at 00:58 would've become inactive at times. When that scorpion became active again after being inactive, he would've gone for the beetle. When you shoot a scorpion, you aggravate the scorpion. When an aggravated scorpion goes inactive and becomes active again, it will no longer be aggravated. This means that I had to keep re-aggravating the scorpion to stop it from harming the beetle.

You'll notice that I shot the soldier and two scorpions at 00:38, and this was to aggravate them all, resulting in them only going after me, thus leaving each other alone. An issue that I do encounter is that the presence of the enemies after this part of the level can cause the three characters at the beginning to switch between being active and inactive, which would undo their aggravation and result in the soldier going after the scorpions and vice versa. To combat this, I was quick to trigger the four beetles between 01:21-01:41, and this was to bring the number of active characters to well over five, hopefully ensuring that the three characters at the beginning would remain inactive.

I collected the level's only secret, didn't use any healthpacks, only used the Pistols, and saved three times, which is within the limit of three saves. In the next video I will be doing Khufu's Queens Pyramids, TR4.
Old 21-05-22, 11:59   #2
Greenapple968
Tomb Raider

Khufu's Queens Pyramids:

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6peiyL5KrA

There are 22 enemies and 2 allies in this level, totalling to 24 characters. I successfully managed to complete this level with 0/24 characters being killed. A problem with the Giza section is that the scorpions don't just go after the soldiers; they also go after the beetles. Because of this, I had to keep the beetles safe from the scorpions. Having a soldier or beetle alive will result in the scorpions not being hostile towards you unless you shoot them, which means that the presence of the beetles who got triggered at 01:34 and 02:17 would've helped me when I was within range of the scorpion at 02:18. If a soldier or beetle is present and you shoot a scorpion, then the scorpion will ignore the soldier/beetle and only go after you. I considered doing this to the scorpion at 02:18 to protect the nearby beetles, but this turned out not to be necessary. I managed to keep these two beetles safe from any scorpion by trapping them in the maze between 03:11-05:07. I avoided the triggering of two soldiers and two scorpions by doing what I did at 00:22. I slid down at 00:27 so that I could help myself to the secret. Obtaining the secret did cause a scorpion to spawn, but there were no soldiers or beetles for the scorpion to harm. I collected the level's only secret, which required me to obtain the Armoury Key in Menkaure's Pyramid; something that I did off-screen. I didn't use any healthpacks, only used the Pistols, and saved three times, which is within the limit of three saves. In the next video I will be doing Barkhang Monastery, TR2. In the previous video I did Menkaure's Pyramid, TR4.
Old 23-05-22, 11:38   #3
Greenapple968
Tomb Raider

Barkhang Monastery:

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4peehVTcB_w

There are 30 enemies and 22 allies in this level, totalling to 52 characters. I successfully managed to complete this level with 3/52 characters being killed. 2 gunmen were killed at the beginning, and 2 deaths was the fewest that I could've gotten away with. There were 3 monks and 2 gunmen. Either the gunmen had to be killed, resulting in 2 deaths, or the monks had to be killed, resulting in 3 deaths. 2 deaths was the lesser amount, and I ensured that the gunmen were killed before they killed any of the monks, as that would've increased the number of deaths. The gunman at 02:21 was an unavoidable kill, as the monks would've killed him if I didn't. I avoided the triggering of a second gunman within that area, which would've increased the number of character deaths by at least 1. The glitches at 03:50 and 04:45 granted me access to the main hall while avoiding the triggering of 3 gunmen, saving me from a minimum of 3 extra deaths. I didn't want the crow to follow me into the main hall, but I was able to safely trap him at 05:09. The glitch at 05:31 skipped 2 gunmen. You'll notice that I used a glitch at the end which enabled me to complete the level with just 1 Prayer Wheel, and this saved me from the deaths of a lot of characters. The Prayer Wheel that I chose to collect was the one at 07:58, and the glitch at 07:23 made obtaining the Prayer Wheel an easy task that didn't require the triggering of any enemies. I didn't use any healthpacks, only used the Pistols, and saved once, which is within the limit of three saves. In the next video I will be doing Crash Site, TR3. In the previous video I did Khufu's Queens Pyramids, TR4.
Old 23-05-22, 20:51   #4
GameGlitcher77
Professor

Question ????

So in nutshell this is a pacifist run????

I started to do something similar for TR1 but didn't get that far.....

TR4 and TR5 are a lot easier... But i cheated unlimited medipacks so maybe that's why.....
Old 25-05-22, 14:43   #5
Greenapple968
Tomb Raider

Crash Site:

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koc4PZPfxwk

There are 56 enemies and 4 allies in this level, totalling to 60 characters. I successfully managed to complete this level with 0/60 characters being killed. The glitch at 07:55 made this level an awful lot easier, as it enabled me to avoid most of the enemies. A problem that I would've been faced with is the fact that the raptors and soldiers don't just go after each other. The soldiers also go after the T-Rex. The raptors and the T-Rex go after each other. The raptors go after fellow raptors. By skipping out most of the enemies, I prevented a lot of characters from being able to harm one another. The jump at 05:01 granted me access to a necessary area without triggering two soldiers and a raptor. By causing the raptor to fall down at 05:55, I stopped the raptor and soldier from being able to kill each other. I entered the level with 51 savegame crystals, which meant that I needed to have a minimum of 52 crystals in order to be allowed to save, and I didn't go against this rule. I collected all secrets, didn't use any healthpacks, and didn't use any weapon. In the next video I will be doing RX-Tech Mines, TR3. In the previous video I did Barkhang Monastery, TR2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GameGlitcher77 View Post
So in nutshell this is a pacifist run????

I started to do something similar for TR1 but didn't get that far.....

TR4 and TR5 are a lot easier... But i cheated unlimited medipacks so maybe that's why.....
It is pretty much a Pacifist Run. I have to minimise the number of enemies and allies being killed by me, as well as the number of enemies and allies being killed by each other.
Old 26-05-22, 12:16   #6
Greenapple968
Tomb Raider

RX-Tech Mines:

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDGcKssm23g

There are 21 enemies and 4 allies in this level, totalling to 25 characters. I successfully managed to complete this level with 0/25 characters being killed on screen. One good thing about this level is the fact that the mutants can't kill the flamethrower guys; it's just the flamethrower guys who can kill the mutants. This meant that I didn't need to protect the flamethrower guys from the mutants; I just had to protect the mutants from the flamethrower guys. It's in the flamethrower guy's AI to be friendly towards you and to kill the mutants. However, if you shoot a flamethrower guy then you "aggravate" him, and this results in him ignoring the mutants and only going for you. I aggravated the flamethrower guy at 01:24, resulting in him leaving the two mutants alone. At 08:33 I initially skipped a mutant and flamethrower guy. I accidentally triggered them when I returned later on, but I saved the mutant by aggravating the flamethrower guy. I aggravated the flamethrower guy at 10:59 to stop him from harming the surrounding mutants. A big problem with this area is the fact that it's common for the mutants to accidentally step into the water and kill themselves. I had to rely on luck and just hope that this wouldn't happen. The save/reload glitch at 22:01 caused my cold bar to refill, sparing me from needing to use a healthpack.

I have a bad feeling that some of the mutants would've been killed by flamethrower guys off screen. This game can only have a maximum of 5 active characters at once. Enemies count as characters, as do allies. When there are more than 5 characters at once, some of the characters become inactive. The 5 characters who are closest to you will remain active, whereas the ones who are further away become inactive. This means that the flamethrower guys might've switched between being active and inactive. When an aggravated flamethrower guy goes inactive and then becomes active again, the aggravation gets undone. This means that any flamethrower guy who went inactive and returned to being active would've had it in their AI to kill any mutants within range. I didn't go back to any previous areas to check as this isn't something that occurred to me at the time, but I suspect that some mutants would've been killed.

I entered the level with 100 savegame crystals, which meant that I needed to have 101 crystals in order to be allowed to save, and I didn't go against this rule. I collected all secrets, didn't use any healthpacks, and only used the Pistols. In the next video I will be doing High Security Compound, TR3. In the previous video I did Crash Site, TR3.
Old 26-05-22, 12:54   #7
tlr online
Administrator

Thumbs up

Thank you for sharing your awesome videos and commentary.
tlr online is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-22, 12:20   #8
Greenapple968
Tomb Raider

High Security Compound:

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XY-2vY73n0E

There are 25 enemies and 9 allies in this level, totalling to 34 characters. I successfully managed to complete this level with 3/34 characters being killed. I trapped the first enemy at 06:17, this stopped him from being able to harm any prisoners, and it also protected him from prisoners. The gunman at 08:47 had to be killed as he drops a mandatory item. I tried to kill him with a gate but didn't have much joy and then had one of the prisoners kill him. I specifically chose the invincible prisoner, and that was to eliminate the risk of the gunman killing any of the prisoners. An enemy was triggered at 11:37. This enemy was safe from the prisoner since I closed the gate at 09:12, putting a barrier between them. I separated myself from the enemy by closing the door at 13:02.

The glitch at 13:53 saves me from having to kill an enemy. Usually there's a current at 23:10 which is caused by a fan that kills you after sucking you in. Normally you would have to seal the fan off by using the Yellow Security Pass that I obtained at 21:44. You then have to kill an enemy near the end of the level who drops a Yellow Security Pass which is intended for the door at 24:25. The glitch at 13:53 stops the fan from having a current, meaning that you don't have to seal the fan off with the Yellow Security Pass. Instead, you can collect the Yellow Security pass, go straight to the end and use the Yellow Security Pass on the door at 24:25. This saves you from needing to kill the enemy in the surrounding area who drops a Yellow Security Pass.

The jump at 15:04 saves me from having to kill the enemy at 14:47 for his item that switches the lasers off. The enemies at 16:10 and 16:15 had to be killed because of the items that they drop. The enemy who was killed at 16:10 drops the item that opens the door at 16:48. The enemy who was killed at 16:15 drops the item that opens the door to the second secret at 22:35. Had I not done the jump at 15:04 then I would've had to use his item to switch the lasers off, then I wouldn't have had the item to use at 22:35. The gunman at 22:08 drops the same item, but I was spared from needing to kill him because I already had the necessary item. I chose to use the invincible prisoner for killing the two enemies at 16:10 and 16:15, and that was to remove the risk of the enemies killing any of the prisoners.

I entered the level with 99 savegame crystals, which meant that I needed to have 100 crystals in order to be allowed to save, and I didn't go against this rule. I collected all secrets, didn't use any healthpacks, and only used the Pistols. In the next video I will be doing Lud's Gate, TR3. In the previous video I did RX-Tech Mines, TR3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlr online View Post
Thank you for sharing your awesome videos and commentary.
No problem, and thank you for the feedback. I'm glad that you're thinking highly of these videos.
Old 29-05-22, 14:24   #9
perryloo
Explorer

Well done Greenapple968

I have had a go as well doing a Minimum death run

Last edited by perryloo; 29-05-22 at 14:27.
perryloo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-22, 14:20   #10
Greenapple968
Tomb Raider

Lud's Gate:

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zuy6b264Xm4

There are 17 enemies and 3 allies in this level, totalling to 20 characters. I successfully managed to complete this level with 0/20 characters being killed. A good thing about this level is that it's impossible for The Damned to kill enemies, or for enemies to kill The Damned. This meant that I just had to avoid doing any killing myself and didn't have to worry about characters killing other characters. The jump at 01:05 was a big shortcut which also enabled me to avoid a lot of enemies. From there, I collected a number of savegame crystals and did it in a way where I was able to collect a couple of the crystals twice, giving me extra crystals. By doing the UPV glitch, I travelled to various parts of the level and helped myself to the 6 secrets. I then returned to the large area at 10:16, ready for the underwater section. I entered the level with 51 savegame crystals, which meant that I needed to have 52 crystals in order to be allowed to save, and I didn't go against this rule. I collected all secrets, didn't use any healthpacks, and only used the Pistols. In the next video I will be doing Area 51, TR3. In the previous video I did High Security Compound, TR3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by perryloo View Post
Well done Greenapple968

I have had a go as well doing a Minimum death run

Thank you.

I hate to break it to you, but I don't think your tactics worked too well.