www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Future of Tomb Raider

Old 11-09-19, 06:47   #61
Grizzly Bear
Archaeologist

Sometimes I don't understand you guys , you all complained that in Shadow the apocalypse wasn't taken too seriously and characters seemed to act like nothing was going to happen and then you want a less melodramatic tone?

I totally agree with AimlessThunder on this, not only on gore/blood but also on the dark/melodramatic tone, with better writing and hopefully an even better story, it's definetly the best choice.
Old 11-09-19, 06:58   #62
SoraSakai
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Bear View Post
Sometimes I don't understand you guys , you all complained that in Shadow the apocalypse wasn't taken too seriously and characters seemed to act like nothing was going to happen and then you want a less melodramatic tone?
Maybe its not the same people complaining?
For example, I dont think the apocalypse was taken seriously enough and I would love for the next game to be dark and bloody.

So stop generalizing everyone.
Old 11-09-19, 07:00   #63
Tomb Raidering
Explorer

^
More like stereotyping:
Angry TRF member...

Everyone wants different things from TR.
At the end, some are common........
Old 11-09-19, 08:19   #64
Kalaghima
Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samz View Post
I like how Far Cry 3's upgrade system actually integrated into the gameplay.

2013's upgrades are all minor stat boosts, Lara starts the game as a borderline overpowered cover shooter protagonist and definitely ends it as one, Jason has to upgrade basically everything, he can only carry 1 gun,very little max ammo and a tiny health bar at the start so it's fitting as you have to upgrade your way to competency from what little I've played of Far Cry 3.
It's weird how they wanted to be the same thing but FC3 end up being better in every single department. Even the colorful cast of characters have their own story and are not just there for the sake of having more people on the boat. But I guess it's pretty biased to say FC3 is better since I enjoyed it alot more than I did playing tr2013 so, to each their own I guess.

They really need to get better writing or designer. Bonus points for both.
Kalaghima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-19, 15:16   #65
Leon2703
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Bear View Post

I totally agree with AimlessThunder on this, not only on gore/blood but also on the dark/melodramatic tone, with better writing and hopefully an even better story, it's definetly the best choice.
I guess it's because we have had so much of it in this trilogy, there's always something weighing down on Lara, that can be tiring for us too.

The complaints about Shadow are more about the writting, and not the tone itself, I think. I don't care much as long as it's a good story, but I do miss something lighter like the classics. It's been all about Lara's fault, and that everyone is dying because of her...
Old 11-09-19, 15:52   #66
Patrick star
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalaghima View Post
the story feels a bit detached from the gameplay where she's an incompetent bag of emotions in cutscenes and a soulless murder machine in game. There's nothing wrong with a character having emotions but completely devoid of it when you're gunning down everything that walks on two legs feels off.
I think people tend of exaggerate about this .

I mean yes , surely she's going to be emotional in cutscenes when the moment at hand calls for it (seeing her friend nearly dying , reading a letter left by her dead mother , crying over the corpse of her mentor etc) , but I really don't understand/see how could that nullify/contradict her actions in the gameplay where she's killing to defend herself , and her enemies are either crazy maniac cultists or vile mercenaries who'd shoot her on sight . Why should having an emotional side in her make her refrain from doing the killing instead of being the killed ? Things aren't black and white . Being emotional doesn't mean standing there waiting for others to murder you .

The only thing that I , personally , thought was a bit off is the gruesome finishers . However , I simply view them as non-canon . In the grand scheme of things we're supposed to know that Lara is a great combatant and is able to fight her way through most situations successfully and that happens in the gameplay , How she does that though ? that's totally up to the player to decide , gruesome finishers are cool additions that are not forced on whoever's playing the game , they don't say much about Lara's character since you can play and finish all 3 games from start to finish without them .

It's like concluding that AOD Lara is a rude insufferable brat basing that on the rude options in tree conversations . It's not true . She's NOT rude , YOU made her sound rude by choosing a certain reply when others were available .

Last edited by Patrick star; 11-09-19 at 15:59.
Patrick star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-19, 20:23   #67
VictorXD
Relic Hunter

Well in all fairness reboot Lara has quite a violent side when she's pissed, she always did so. Like when she thought about pinning Atlas's face against the table because he was a little unpleasant. The finishers are totally in line with her character.

But I do agree with you on the rest though, I don't think her killing a lot of men one second and then being emotional on the other is a big deal. In real life anyone who has faced danger like that has always said you enter 'survival mode' and your mind is crystal clear so you can focus on your current problem. It's the whole point of adrenaline.

Killing people is just a chore Lara can't ignore. She doesn't want to do it, but she knows she can't waste even a fraction of a second questioning herself or else she will get killed. That's not being inconsistent, it's just being smart and setting your priorities straight. First things first, you kill the people who are trying to kill you.... Then you can go ahead and worry about whatever else is on your mind.

Reboot Lara might be any number of things, but she is nothing if not intelligent.
Old 11-09-19, 20:43   #68
biscuits
Professor

Lara's situation is always kill or be killed. You can't expect her to roll over and willingly let herself be murdered.
Old 12-09-19, 01:11   #69
Lyle Croft
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuits View Post
Lara's situation is always kill or be killed. You can't expect her to roll over and willingly let herself be murdered.
She needs to do it with grace.

I want her to kill, but with grace.

Like a ballerina ninja warrior. Not her little scrappy brawl moves. I'de rather see calm hardened cold Lara, but you can see the pain in her eyes. Than her viciously lash out her emotions.

It's the quiet ones you should be afraid of.
Old 12-09-19, 05:27   #70
Kalaghima
Hobbyist

I guess that's another way of viewing it. But what bothers me was the recurring argument of "She's young and inexperience" which didn't reflect in the game at all. The need for constant explanation do ruin the experience(I'm not much of an rpg player so it's different for everyone), everything requires deep and thorough explanation that they end up with a lot of plot holes.

Tr never had a strong story, a simple plot line should be suffice for a game about treasure hunting and maybe...just maybe...stop making it about her??? I get that the franchise revolves around Lara but over time it's less about the adventure but more about her which even the reboot is aware of it.
Kalaghima is offline   Reply With Quote