www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-09-19, 00:02   #111
Boobandie
Professor
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,754
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmedangelin View Post
I beleive it was here where i uploaded some examples of Rises lighting and reflections, I have some example from Shadow that look extremely life like and are unacheivable in Rise. Which is what makes this game so graphically demanding.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachmen...10031258_1.jpg

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachmen...30041407_1.jpg

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachmen...30104245_1.jpg

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachmen...20021814_1.jpg

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachmen...30025639_1.jpg
Which of course, would be drastically toned down in such a theoretical last gen port. Like how TRU's effects weren't included in the PS2 version.

I don't understand why you keep citing demanding graphics as the reason there wasn't a last gen port, when lighting dynamic effects like that are the first thing to go. It would be rebuilt, and optimised, like Rise was.

Additionally, those screenshots actually look very achievable in the engine used for Rise's 360 port. That game looked very similar to its next gen counterpart, I assume because toning down more advanced graphics let them 'bake' all those little details and lighting effects on to the textures directly.

Last edited by Boobandie; Yesterday at 01:42.
Boobandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-19, 00:14   #112
charmedangelin
Relic Hunter
 
charmedangelin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 9,572
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boobandie View Post
Which of course, would be drastically toned down in such a theoretical last gen port. Like how TRU's effects weren't included in the PS2 version.

I don't understand why you keep citing demanding graphics as the reason there wasn't a last gen port, when lighting dynamic effects like that are the first thing to go. It would be rebuilt, and optimised, like Rise was.

Additionally, those screenshots actually look very achievable in the engine used for Rise's 360 port. That game looked very similar to its next gen counterpart, I assume because toning down more advanced graphics let them 'bake' all those little details and lighting effects on to the textures directly.
And I don't know why you assume that it's as simple as turning down a switch. It's not, the way lighting, textures, and meshes interact determine how demanding a game is. Not to mention render distance and the amount of objects being rendered. You seriously think it's that simple? Then you have no appreciation for the hard amount of work it takes to achieve this. The fact is that there is zero way this game can run on a 360, none.

Unless they rebuilt the game from scratch and changed a lot about the game it would not work nor look close to this.

EDIT

And to really drive the point home they released an update to the game that removed some graphical effects in the original like some of the waterfalls and jungle life because this game was even pushing modern hardware beyond it's limit. There is no way they could scale this game back enough to work on a system like the 360 when it even pushes modern hardware. My Laptop came out in 2017 with a core i7 and I still cannot run this game to what I could run Rise with.

The only console I could see working with this game possibly is the Nintendo Switch as that console is actually more powerful then the 360 and can run games as demanding as Doom 2016 and HellBlade.
__________________
Worry about what needs to be worried about

Last edited by charmedangelin; 12-09-19 at 00:21.
charmedangelin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-19, 02:08   #113
Boobandie
Professor
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,754
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmedangelin View Post
And I don't know why you assume that it's as simple as turning down a switch. It's not, the way lighting, textures, and meshes interact determine how demanding a game is. Not to mention render distance and the amount of objects being rendered. You seriously think it's that simple? Then you have no appreciation for the hard amount of work it takes to achieve this. The fact is that there is zero way this game can run on a 360, none.

Unless they rebuilt the game from scratch and changed a lot about the game it would not work nor look close to this.
Maybe actually read my posts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boobandie View Post
It was disappointing that it wasn't ported to the 360. You seem to be under the belief that I think it's as simple as turning the settings down to 'Low'. I know fully well how big of a task it is to port a next gen game backwards, my point is they have done it before. TRU, a fully next gen game at the time was rebuilt for the PS2/Wii by BuzzMonkey, letting that trilogy be finished on systems it started with. Rise was also rebuilt for the 360 by Microsoft as you keep saying.

There was precedent to port Shadow to the 360, it just would have cost money.

Last edited by Boobandie; Yesterday at 01:42. Reason: Inserting quotes
Boobandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-19, 02:14   #114
charmedangelin
Relic Hunter
 
charmedangelin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 9,572
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boobandie View Post
Maybe actually read my posts?
I've actually read them and while you say one thing you say another. You say you know it isn't easy yet you go on talking as if it was as simple as flipping a switch.

You cannot accept the fact that Shadow cannot run on hardware that is unable to support it.

It's not just a port, it would be a complete brand new game rebuilt from scratch.
__________________
Worry about what needs to be worried about
charmedangelin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-19, 02:20   #115
Boobandie
Professor
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,754
Default

I've made no contradiction. I never said it was easy, I said it was possible/they could have done it. Then described the process that Underworld and Rise went through, basically being rebuilt with simpler graphics.

Last edited by Boobandie; Yesterday at 01:42.
Boobandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-19, 02:36   #116
charmedangelin
Relic Hunter
 
charmedangelin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 9,572
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boobandie View Post
I've made no contradiction. I never said it was easy, I said it was possible/they could have done it. Then described the process that Underworld and Rise went through, basically being rebuilt with simpler graphics.
I said your acting like it's easy by complaining that they didn't do it. Rebuilding the game from the ground up is a difficult task. The only reason why Underworld did it was because the PS2 was still relevant. The only reason why Rise did it was because Rise was in between generations.

Shadow is not in between generations, in fact it's late in this generation. What would be the point of releasing a game on a console that is no longer circulated in the market by Microsoft?

Shadow was the most expensive game to make, they would be working at a lose.

There is zero reason for it to be on the 360. Rise wasn't on the PS3, how do you explain that?
__________________
Worry about what needs to be worried about
charmedangelin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-19, 02:46   #117
Boobandie
Professor
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,754
Default

Oh I'm 'acting like it's easy by complaining'.

Pardon me. I didn't realise expressing my disappointment at the lack of a 360 port, while at the same time describing just how not easy the process is and theorising that the cost [vs profits] of such a long task is the reason they didn't, would come off like I thought it was easy.

Last edited by Boobandie; Yesterday at 01:41.
Boobandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-19, 03:22   #118
charmedangelin
Relic Hunter
 
charmedangelin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 9,572
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boobandie View Post
Oh I'm 'acting like it's easy by complaining'.

Pardon me. I didn't realise expressing my disappointment at the lack of a 360 port, while at the same time describing just how not easy the process is and theorising that the cost [vs profits] of such a long task is the reason they didn't, would come off like I thought it was easy.
Why did you reply to my post about the advanced lighting and such then?
__________________
Worry about what needs to be worried about
charmedangelin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-19, 07:39   #119
killchan
Explorer
 
killchan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Italy...?
Posts: 762
Default

A X360 port in 2018?

When Rise was announced for the X360, didn't everybody laugh it off like an april's fool prank?
__________________
IF next_game.IsSimilarTo(Reboot) THEN Me.Skip(next_game) ENDIF
killchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-19, 07:47   #120
xspacedude
Archaeologist
 
xspacedude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 1,418
Default

I think the only reason Rise got a 360 port was bc of the exclusivity deal.
xspacedude is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT. The time now is 19:04.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.