www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor > Software Development

Old 13-11-21, 22:17   #11
Famicom
Historian

Let me bump this thread by saying how good the whole thing looks. Can't wait to give it a try. Everything in the videos looks very faithful to the original: camera movements, enemies behaviour... Really cool.
Old 14-11-21, 09:21   #12
ANoDE
Golden

This looks very promising indeed!
Is the game compmetely playable in this? I'd love to give this a spin once it is.
Old 14-11-21, 15:51   #13
stohrendorf
Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANoDE View Post
This looks very promising indeed!
Is the game compmetely playable in this? I'd love to give this a spin once it is.
In theory it is fully playable, but because I have too few testers I can't say for sure. I'm testing bits of the first levels myself, but I'm bad at testing, and I'm pretty sure there are still bugs and glitches I don't know yet.
stohrendorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-21, 18:49   #14
ANoDE
Golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by stohrendorf View Post
In theory it is fully playable, but because I have too few testers I can't say for sure. I'm testing bits of the first levels myself, but I'm bad at testing, and I'm pretty sure there are still bugs and glitches I don't know yet.
Ah, ok
I've just played up to The Lost Valley, and so far, I'm more than impressed. This looks to be a VERY faithful re-implementation. I'm no hardcore player, who knows every nook and cranny, but to me it feels like it plays EXACTLY like the original - which is very cool.

The only minor issues I've detected so far:
* Sometimes, when pressing ACTION + UP to grab a ledge, Lara will jump, but fail to attach to the ledge. I have to let go of both keys and try again. This happens randomly and various spots but is not really reproducible.
* The "Depth of Field" effect should always focus on Lara. In some instances, the camera zooms out a bit farther than usual (for example during the first bat-encounter in "Caves"), rendering Lara blurry.
* Sometimes, when traversing through L-Shaped rooms, the camera will not correctly follow Lara. Instead, it will show the outer edge of the block behind Lara. This may be original engine behaviour, or it may be introduced due to the use of a widescreen resolution. In any case it's rather annoying since in this case it is virtually impossible to navigate Lara, as you can't see her. Moving a few steps forward / to the side usually makes the camera re-focus on Lara again.
* Shadows are cast through the floor. This can be seen right after throwing the switch after the blades in the City of Vilcabamba. The shadow of the bear can clearly be seen on the ground.

Again, these are VERY minor issues - I just thought I'd mention them in case you're in a bug-hunting mood.

At any rate, I'm more than impressed by this. Definitely gonna keep an eye on it.

I'll continue my playthrough during the next few weeks. Should I find a game-breaking bug, I'll open an issue on github
Old 14-11-21, 19:19   #15
stohrendorf
Student

[QUOTE=ANoDE;8330849]Ah, ok
I've just played up to The Lost Valley, and so far, I'm more than impressed. This looks to be a VERY faithful re-implementation. I'm no hardcore player, who knows every nook and cranny, but to me it feels like it plays EXACTLY like the original - which is very cool.

The only minor issues I've detected so far:
Quote:
* Sometimes, when pressing ACTION + UP to grab a ledge, Lara will jump, but fail to attach to the ledge. I have to let go of both keys and try again. This happens randomly and various spots but is not really reproducible.
That is to some extent a shortcoming of the original engine while extrapolating Lara's position into the future. I'm not sure if I did it partially wrong, though.

Quote:
* The "Depth of Field" effect should always focus on Lara. In some instances, the camera zooms out a bit farther than usual (for example during the first bat-encounter in "Caves"), rendering Lara blurry.
The engine uses the center of the screen as the focus point. This usually works well enough if there's an enemy big enough, or if there's a wall in front, but in certain cases like this it doesn't really work, unfortunately. I haven't come up with a solution to that.

Quote:
* Sometimes, when traversing through L-Shaped rooms, the camera will not correctly follow Lara. Instead, it will show the outer edge of the block behind Lara. This may be original engine behaviour, or it may be introduced due to the use of a widescreen resolution. In any case it's rather annoying since in this case it is virtually impossible to navigate Lara, as you can't see her. Moving a few steps forward / to the side usually makes the camera re-focus on Lara again.
It'd be nice to have a screenshot or a short video showing the problem.

Quote:
* Shadows are cast through the floor. This can be seen right after throwing the switch after the blades in the City of Vilcabamba. The shadow of the bear can clearly be seen on the ground.
That's a much more complex problem than it seems to be, and I'm aware of that. The problem is that the shadows are projected downwards until infinity. To make shadows "stop" at floors, the engine would both need to know the shadow caster position and the floor position. This can get quite complicated, especially in cases where an object is between two floors, and the shadow would have to be projected onto different floor heights below, possibly including another entity, stopping at different distances, and eventually even adding shadows from the object it's casting shadow onto. In general, it would mean implementing a rather complicated rendering pipeline on a per-object basis and the object's possible shadow interactions with other objects. I believe it would produce a lot more potential problems than it would solve, so I don't want to bother with it unless someone presents me a brilliant idea how to solve it

Quote:
Again, these are VERY minor issues - I just thought I'd mention them in case you're in a bug-hunting mood.

At any rate, I'm more than impressed by this. Definitely gonna keep an eye on it.

I'll continue my playthrough during the next few weeks. Should I find a game-breaking bug, I'll open an issue on github
Thanks
Old 14-11-21, 20:44   #16
Teeth
Archaeologist

Does it run in 4K?
Teeth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-21, 22:18   #17
stohrendorf
Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeth View Post
Does it run in 4K?
Yes... I mean, probably. I don't own a 4k display so you need to test it yourself.
Old 15-11-21, 15:40   #18
ANoDE
Golden

Quote:
That is to some extent a shortcoming of the original engine while extrapolating Lara's position into the future. I'm not sure if I did it partially wrong, though.
Ah, ok. Just thought it'd be worth mentioning

Quote:
The engine uses the center of the screen as the focus point. This usually works well enough if there's an enemy big enough, or if there's a wall in front, but in certain cases like this it doesn't really work, unfortunately. I haven't come up with a solution to that.
I see. Well, it's not THAT much of a problem anyway

Quote:
It'd be nice to have a screenshot or a short video showing the problem.
Just tried to reproduce it, but it's rather difficult to do. I was only able to recreate it by turning REALLY close to the corner of a block. I feel it was easier yesterday. I'll keep an eye out for this and post a video / screenshot if it happens again.

Quote:
That's a much more complex problem than it seems to be, and I'm aware of that. The problem is that the shadows are projected downwards until infinity. To make shadows "stop" at floors, the engine would both need to know the shadow caster position and the floor position. This can get quite complicated, especially in cases where an object is between two floors, and the shadow would have to be projected onto different floor heights below, possibly including another entity, stopping at different distances, and eventually even adding shadows from the object it's casting shadow onto. In general, it would mean implementing a rather complicated rendering pipeline on a per-object basis and the object's possible shadow interactions with other objects. I believe it would produce a lot more potential problems than it would solve, so I don't want to bother with it unless someone presents me a brilliant idea how to solve it
Wow, I was not aware this would be so complicated.
Old 15-11-21, 16:51   #19
Bokkie
Super Moderator

I've watched the video and it looks great, however it cannot run on my machine, got the following error:

Code:
[2021-11-15 18:49:44.965009 info 0x00000c58] Check user data dir: "s:\\tr1b6"
[2021-11-15 18:49:44.965009 info 0x00000c58] Check user data dir: "C:\\Users\\Administrator\\AppData\\Local\\edisonengine"
[2021-11-15 18:49:44.966009 error 0x00000c58] Abnormal termination. Stacktrace:
 0# pybind11::error_already_set::~error_already_set in edisonengine
 1# pybind11::error_already_set::~error_already_set in edisonengine
 2# terminate in ucrtbase
 3# pybind11::error_already_set::~error_already_set in edisonengine
 4# UnhandledExceptionFilter in KERNELBASE
 5# memset in ntdll
 6# _C_specific_handler in ntdll
 7# _chkstk in ntdll
 8# RtlRaiseException in ntdll
 9# RtlRaiseException in ntdll
10# RaiseException in KERNELBASE
11# CxxThrowException in VCRUNTIME140
12# pybind11::error_already_set::~error_already_set in edisonengine
13# pybind11::error_already_set::~error_already_set in edisonengine
14# pybind11::error_already_set::~error_already_set in edisonengine
15# pybind11::error_already_set::~error_already_set in edisonengine
16# BaseThreadInitThunk in KERNEL32
17# RtlUserThreadStart in ntdll
Signal 22 caught; stacktrace:
 0# pybind11::error_already_set::~error_already_set in edisonengine
 1# pybind11::error_already_set::~error_already_set in edisonengine
 2# raise in ucrtbase
 3# abort in ucrtbase
 4# pybind11::error_already_set::~error_already_set in edisonengine
 5# terminate in ucrtbase
 6# pybind11::error_already_set::~error_already_set in edisonengine
 7# UnhandledExceptionFilter in KERNELBASE
 8# memset in ntdll
 9# _C_specific_handler in ntdll
10# _chkstk in ntdll
11# RtlRaiseException in ntdll
12# RtlRaiseException in ntdll
13# RaiseException in KERNELBASE
14# CxxThrowException in VCRUNTIME140
15# pybind11::error_already_set::~error_already_set in edisonengine
16# pybind11::error_already_set::~error_already_set in edisonengine
17# pybind11::error_already_set::~error_already_set in edisonengine
18# pybind11::error_already_set::~error_already_set in edisonengine
19# BaseThreadInitThunk in KERNEL32
20# RtlUserThreadStart in ntdll
Bokkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-21, 19:28   #20
stohrendorf
Student

Is that from the log file or from the terminal window? The log file usually contains a little bit more information, this one looks like it can't find the necessary game data. Usually it prints out a lot more information about the environment, including OpenGL information. Could you maybe send the log file of the crash?

// edit: you may want to take a look into the user's manual, too: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1iRz...wfApWhDoN/view

Last edited by stohrendorf; 15-11-21 at 19:43.