www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > General Chat > Arts and Entertainment

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 25-04-16, 11:04   #3011
Tombraider95
Tomb Raider
 
Tombraider95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 11,728
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Tony View Post
With people saying things like "I'm happy we've got a mixed race companion this time" there's the subtle implication that a white companion would somehow be worse or inferior. I just wish people would stop seeing race everywhere and just see people as people.
lol So I'm not allowed to say I'm happy that she is mixed raced because it's racist against white people? Well I guess it's also racist again asians, blacks and so on...

I could also say "I'm happy she's in her 20's". Then there's the subtle implication that a older/younger companion would somehow be worse or inferior. So I would be ageist as well?

I think you're just diving into things a little too deeply just because her race was mentioned. Yes we should see people as people, but that doesn't mean Race is a forbidden topic to bring up when describing someone. You said it doesn't matter, so don't worry about it.
__________________
What was it you said? Disrespect is the route to carelessness?
Tombraider95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-16, 11:09   #3012
Jami393
Tomb Raider
 
Jami393's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: England
Posts: 18,927
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Tony View Post
Even though race isn't even an issue anymore on these sorts of shows
Exactly. So this shows how diverse we've gotten.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Tony View Post
With people saying things like "I'm happy we've got a mixed race companion this time" there's the subtle implication that a white companion would somehow be worse or inferior. I just wish people would stop seeing race everywhere and just see people as people.
Just because we see it slightly doesn't mean we can't see people as people.
__________________
Rest in peace Iwata-san 1959 - 2015
Jami393 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-16, 11:11   #3013
Mad Tony
Sage
 
Mad Tony's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Kent, United Kingdom
Posts: 61,351
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombraider95 View Post
lol So I'm not allowed to say I'm happy that she is mixed raced because it's racist against white people? Well I guess it's also racist again asians, blacks and so on...

I could also say "I'm happy she's in her 20's". Then there's the subtle implication that a older/younger companion would somehow be worse or inferior. So I would be ageist as well?

I think you're just diving into things a little too deeply just because her race was mentioned. Yes we should see people as people, but that doesn't mean Race is a forbidden topic to bring up when describing someone. You said it doesn't matter, so don't worry about it.
Look you can do what you want but I'm just tired of people caring about race. And presumably, you wouldn't care if the companion was Asian or whatever because it would still be "diverse".

As I said, age actually does affect the dynamic between the Doctor and the companion most of the time so in this context I don't think it's wrong to care about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jami393 View Post
Exactly. So this shows how diverse we've gotten.
Why do you care though? The new version of the show has never had a problem with "diversity".
__________________
No regrets, Mr Freeman.
Mad Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-16, 11:32   #3014
Jami393
Tomb Raider
 
Jami393's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: England
Posts: 18,927
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Tony View Post
Why do you care though? The new version of the show has never had a problem with "diversity".
You're right the show since the return hasn't had an issue, but it still doesn't hurt to point things out. Now let's just move along.
__________________
Rest in peace Iwata-san 1959 - 2015
Jami393 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-16, 11:38   #3015
Mad Tony
Sage
 
Mad Tony's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Kent, United Kingdom
Posts: 61,351
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jami393 View Post
You're right the show since the return hasn't had an issue, but it still doesn't hurt to point things out. Now let's just move along.
There's a difference between pointing out that the show is still "diverse" (as if that even matters) and having preferences when it comes to a new companion's race.
__________________
No regrets, Mr Freeman.
Mad Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-16, 11:50   #3016
Tombraider95
Tomb Raider
 
Tombraider95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 11,728
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Tony View Post
and having preferences when it comes to a new companion's race.
Still doesn't make it a bad thing? So what if I like the idea of there being an Asian or Muslim companion? Shoot me.
__________________
What was it you said? Disrespect is the route to carelessness?
Tombraider95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-16, 11:55   #3017
Rai
Moderator
 
Rai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: In a bubble outside the universe
Posts: 35,699
Default

*sorely tempted to post video of "let it go"

All this over Jamie's innocent standalone comment originally . MT, unfortunately TV still needs more diversity, that's why it's nice when such a high calibre programme like Doctor Who is already doing it. Jamie and Tombraider95 were just acknowledging that. You're the one who has blown it out of the water. There is nothing wrong with having a preference.
__________________
"Who we are is not what we wear, or what sparkles. It's our spirit that defines us."

Last edited by Rai; 25-04-16 at 11:57.
Rai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-16, 12:08   #3018
Mad Tony
Sage
 
Mad Tony's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Kent, United Kingdom
Posts: 61,351
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombraider95 View Post
Still doesn't make it a bad thing? So what if I like the idea of there being an Asian or Muslim companion? Shoot me.
I don't think it's a good or a bad thing, that's my point. It annoys me that people still care about trivial things like race and religion when it comes to Doctor Who - it's just not relevant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rai View Post
*sorely tempted to post video of "let it go"

All this over Jamie's innocent standalone comment originally . MT, unfortunately TV still needs more diversity, that's why it's nice when such a high calibre programme like Doctor Who is already doing it. Jamie and Tombraider95 were just acknowledging that. You're the one who has blown it out of the water. There is nothing wrong with having a preference.
In most cases I disagree. What I find annoying is this whole preoccupation with "diversity" when it really doesn't matter. Just make interesting characters and get the actors you want regardless of their race or religion. We've gone from being prejudiced against minority actors to now seemingly more and more being prejudiced in their favor*, which is hardly better. I just hate this obsessions with TV being "representative" because it's missing the point of TV in the first place.

I haven't blown it out of the water. What I've done is taken issue with people who seem to want companions to be picked at least partially on the basis of race.

* - For the record, I don't think the new companion has been picked because of her race and all I care about is that she's a good character. At the very least she'll probably be better than Clara. There does however seem to be a trend, especially in the BBC, to constantly take race into account. One of the most insidious things about it is that it actually demeans the achievements of minority actors if you select them on the basis of their race. A few decades ago I'd agree that it was probably necessary but nowadays it isn't.
__________________
No regrets, Mr Freeman.

Last edited by Mad Tony; 25-04-16 at 12:11.
Mad Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-16, 12:18   #3019
irishhips
Tomb Raider
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 17,424
Default

__________________
Dishonor On Your Whole Family, Dishonor On You, Dishonor On Your Cow!!!
irishhips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-16, 15:25   #3020
Hyper_Crazy
Tomb Raider
 
Hyper_Crazy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: London
Posts: 16,535
Default

So far I don't like her, she seems annoying and has a weird name. Nothing to do with race before anyone starts flailing that idea around.

Still have a year before we see her in action though. -__
Hyper_Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT. The time now is 00:08.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.