www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > General Chat > Arts and Entertainment

Old 25-04-16, 11:04   #3011
Tombraider95
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Tony View Post
With people saying things like "I'm happy we've got a mixed race companion this time" there's the subtle implication that a white companion would somehow be worse or inferior. I just wish people would stop seeing race everywhere and just see people as people.
lol So I'm not allowed to say I'm happy that she is mixed raced because it's racist against white people? Well I guess it's also racist again asians, blacks and so on...

I could also say "I'm happy she's in her 20's". Then there's the subtle implication that a older/younger companion would somehow be worse or inferior. So I would be ageist as well?

I think you're just diving into things a little too deeply just because her race was mentioned. Yes we should see people as people, but that doesn't mean Race is a forbidden topic to bring up when describing someone. You said it doesn't matter, so don't worry about it.
Old 25-04-16, 11:09   #3012
Jami393
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Even though race isn't even an issue anymore on these sorts of shows
Exactly. So this shows how diverse we've gotten.

Quote:
With people saying things like "I'm happy we've got a mixed race companion this time" there's the subtle implication that a white companion would somehow be worse or inferior. I just wish people would stop seeing race everywhere and just see people as people.
Just because we see it slightly doesn't mean we can't see people as people.
Old 25-04-16, 11:11   #3013
Mad Tony
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombraider95 View Post
lol So I'm not allowed to say I'm happy that she is mixed raced because it's racist against white people? Well I guess it's also racist again asians, blacks and so on...

I could also say "I'm happy she's in her 20's". Then there's the subtle implication that a older/younger companion would somehow be worse or inferior. So I would be ageist as well?

I think you're just diving into things a little too deeply just because her race was mentioned. Yes we should see people as people, but that doesn't mean Race is a forbidden topic to bring up when describing someone. You said it doesn't matter, so don't worry about it.
Look you can do what you want but I'm just tired of people caring about race. And presumably, you wouldn't care if the companion was Asian or whatever because it would still be "diverse".

As I said, age actually does affect the dynamic between the Doctor and the companion most of the time so in this context I don't think it's wrong to care about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jami393 View Post
Exactly. So this shows how diverse we've gotten.
Why do you care though? The new version of the show has never had a problem with "diversity".
Old 25-04-16, 11:32   #3014
Jami393
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Why do you care though? The new version of the show has never had a problem with "diversity".
You're right the show since the return hasn't had an issue, but it still doesn't hurt to point things out. Now let's just move along.
Old 25-04-16, 11:38   #3015
Mad Tony
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jami393 View Post
You're right the show since the return hasn't had an issue, but it still doesn't hurt to point things out. Now let's just move along.
There's a difference between pointing out that the show is still "diverse" (as if that even matters) and having preferences when it comes to a new companion's race.
Old 25-04-16, 11:50   #3016
Tombraider95
Tomb Raider

Quote:
and having preferences when it comes to a new companion's race.
Still doesn't make it a bad thing? So what if I like the idea of there being an Asian or Muslim companion? Shoot me.
Old 25-04-16, 11:55   #3017
Rai

*sorely tempted to post video of "let it go"

All this over Jamie's innocent standalone comment originally . MT, unfortunately TV still needs more diversity, that's why it's nice when such a high calibre programme like Doctor Who is already doing it. Jamie and Tombraider95 were just acknowledging that. You're the one who has blown it out of the water. There is nothing wrong with having a preference.

Last edited by Rai; 25-04-16 at 11:57.
Rai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-16, 12:08   #3018
Mad Tony
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombraider95 View Post
Still doesn't make it a bad thing? So what if I like the idea of there being an Asian or Muslim companion? Shoot me.
I don't think it's a good or a bad thing, that's my point. It annoys me that people still care about trivial things like race and religion when it comes to Doctor Who - it's just not relevant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rai View Post
*sorely tempted to post video of "let it go"

All this over Jamie's innocent standalone comment originally . MT, unfortunately TV still needs more diversity, that's why it's nice when such a high calibre programme like Doctor Who is already doing it. Jamie and Tombraider95 were just acknowledging that. You're the one who has blown it out of the water. There is nothing wrong with having a preference.
In most cases I disagree. What I find annoying is this whole preoccupation with "diversity" when it really doesn't matter. Just make interesting characters and get the actors you want regardless of their race or religion. We've gone from being prejudiced against minority actors to now seemingly more and more being prejudiced in their favor*, which is hardly better. I just hate this obsessions with TV being "representative" because it's missing the point of TV in the first place.

I haven't blown it out of the water. What I've done is taken issue with people who seem to want companions to be picked at least partially on the basis of race.

* - For the record, I don't think the new companion has been picked because of her race and all I care about is that she's a good character. At the very least she'll probably be better than Clara. There does however seem to be a trend, especially in the BBC, to constantly take race into account. One of the most insidious things about it is that it actually demeans the achievements of minority actors if you select them on the basis of their race. A few decades ago I'd agree that it was probably necessary but nowadays it isn't.

Last edited by Mad Tony; 25-04-16 at 12:11.
Mad Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-16, 12:18   #3019
irishhips
Tomb Raider

Old 26-04-16, 15:25   #3020
Hyper_Crazy
Tomb Raider

So far I don't like her, she seems annoying and has a weird name. Nothing to do with race before anyone starts flailing that idea around.

Still have a year before we see her in action though. -__
Hyper_Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote