Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > Arts and Entertainment

Old 04-01-16, 19:26   #11
Phlip
Inactive

Temple of Doom, Cradle of Life, The Amazing Spider-Man 2, A View to a Kill.

All seem to be proper underrated and disliked for no reason.
Phlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-16, 19:28   #12
trin_303

The matrix reloaded & revolutions
trin_303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-16, 19:55   #13
DragonSlayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by trin_303 View Post
The matrix reloaded & revolutions
i love those movies they could have done without the Merovingian he talked way too much during the scene in the restaurant in the second movie

The 4th Kind i'm not a big fan of found footage movies but this one was allright and very creepy particularly the scene with the owl
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VW7gFu0cAFU

The only other good found footage movie i like is The Blair Witch Project it's the best of all the found footage movies, that's because it's nowhere near as as any of the other found footage movies particularly the Paranormal Activity movies.
DragonSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-16, 21:31   #14
knightgames

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonSlayer View Post

The 4th Kind i'm not a big fan of found footage movies but this one was allright and very creepy particularly the scene with the owl
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VW7gFu0cAFU

I'm a fan. If you can suspend your disbelief, The 4th Kind is truly one of the scariest movies I've ever seen. The use of the owl was a brilliant use of dread and foreshadowing. The movie still creeps me out.

It's not a great movie but for what it is, it is well done. It's no Oscar winner. Many movies are better but this one captures the horror and dread of an alien encounter of the 4th kind like no other.

Fire in the Sky is another movie about alien abduction that has moments of pure adrenaline horror. It plods in places but excels at what it's supposed to do.

Last edited by knightgames; 04-01-16 at 21:32.
knightgames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-16, 21:43   #15
Trenton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phlip View Post
Temple of Doom, Cradle of Life, The Amazing Spider-Man 2, A View to a Kill.

All seem to be proper underrated and disliked for no reason.
You're joking right? Lumping Temple of Doom in with those other movies?! It doesn't belong in this thread at all!
Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom isn't unpopular in the slightest. It's one of the most financially successful films of all time! It's got 85% on Rotten Tomatoes and 7.6 on IMDB. It's only 'unpopular' compared to Raiders and Crusade, but it's still one of the most popular films of all time.
Trenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-16, 22:27   #16
Reggie

Lethal Weapon 4.

Reggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-16, 02:02   #17
voltz

The Perils of Gwendoline in the Land of the Yik-Yak
voltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-16, 03:32   #18
mepsipax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesum View Post
Picnic at Hanging Rock - an absolute masterpiece with beautiful scenery and thrilling story based on a novel of the same name. Must-see!
I realize you probably mean popularity in terms of how many people know about it or watch it etc. but Picnic at Hanging Rock is almost universally considered to be a masterpiece and regularly features in lists of "Greatest films ever" and other such polls. I would definitely agree though, it doesn't get much attention these days and it's an absolutely stunning movie, not to mention one that's HUGELY creepy imo.

As for my own list... hmm.

- The Tree of Life. Critically acclaimed but popularly bashed for being artsy and experimental. I love it, though, and is easy viewing if you allow it to be.

- Nymphomaniac. Similar case to above - often viewed as gratuitous and overlong. Actually subtly witty, hugely emotional and a wonderful look at depression, addiction and life in general.

- Jackie Brown. Kinda considered to be Tarantino's worst - on the contrary, it's my favourite. It's often criticized for being bloated and overlong for the material, but I wish it was even longer; the screenplay is phenomenally well written and the characters are brilliant.

- Phantom of the Opera . Usually criticized for its performances and lack of dramatic impact. In my view, the performances are brilliant, and the lavish production is extremely impressive, especially the opening.

- The Sentinel (1977). Little known 70's thriller with some not great reviews and several yet-to-be-famous actors. It's actually a really good movie, with some shocking moments and a plot that initially seemed daft but ended up sweeping me away entirely.

- Badlands. Hugely acclaimed but kind of forgotten about, total classic of American cinema.

- Showgirls. Usually considered one of the worst movies ever made but it's too bad to be taken at face value - I think it's more likely that it's entirely satirical, and taken from that angle it's one of the most entertainingly trashy and vitriolic movies ever.

- Mommy. Another one massively acclaimed but not very popular. Heart rending stuff, even if the aspect ration (1:1) is a silly choice.

- Mommy Dearest. Unrelated to the above movie (but arriving on the same train of thought lol). It's often considered a camp classic but I'll never understand why - it's a compelling and seriously affecting look at abuse and ambition.

- Crash. Yes, it won best picture, but it's often listed as one of the worst winners of that prize. Which is totally unwarranted - it's an amazing movie with a lot of ideas and truths.

- Sinister. Received fair reviews from both critics and audiences. But what the hell?!? Easily one of the best horror movies in years. Extremely scary, beyond disturbing, and probably one of the most shocking endings ever.

- Prometheus. Definitely far from perfect, but it deserves to be praised for its ambition, the set design, and Noomi Rapace's intense performance.

- Final Destination 1 + 2. By all means criticize the sequels after, but the first two movies are brilliant. Neither are scary, but the first is deliciously well made and eerie. The second is just so well staged it hurts - every set piece is fantastically choreographed to wring every last drop of tension.

- Hocus Pocus. Got awful reviews, but it's hilarious and campy and that's all that matters.
mepsipax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-16, 03:45   #19
voltz

I'm glad to know I'm not the only person here who enjoys watching Showgirls.

Key word, watching.
voltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-16, 04:40   #20
mepsipax

^ I myself am gay but tbh I enjoyed every strip scene in the movie.
mepsipax is offline   Reply With Quote