Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider The Angel of Darkness

Old 09-01-14, 02:08   #91
Aurimas
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boobandie View Post
There were supposed to be shops in Prague like there were in Paris so that Lara could buy and sell items. Perhaps those are the missing maps.
Can you give me the source of this information? I think it was just someone's opinion. Furthermore, maps are usually for areas and shops were separate levels. If The Monstrum Crimescene was meant to be something like Parisian Ghetto shops would probably have been separate GMX files. For example PRAGUE1A.GMX.

Why I was saying that there is huge removed part from Parisian Backstreets is because PARIS1.GMX maps names go like this 8a7b3b3a-.map, 8a7b3b3b-.map and 8a7b3b3d-.map. But where is the part c? Part d is for the cutscene.

The can also something missing from PARIS2_2.GMX (Parisian Ghetto) as maps go like 45980480-.map and 45980483-.map.

Also PARIS2C.GMX (Renne's Pawnshop) ad425ffa-.map and ad425ffd-.map. I wonder is second map is for the cutscene as it is 3 times larger. b and c parts are missing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackraider View Post
I remember reading that the pawn shop was going to be further developed. It was going to be used to buy/trade weapons, similar to a resident evil 4's merchant. I'm guessing there was going to be a pawn shop of sorts in Prague as well? Also, the herb shop was originally going to be a shop to purchase medipack / first aids and other health items. I'm pretty sure the candy bar was a last minute afterthought (almost a deliberate joke from CORE). I'm guessing randomly placed health and weapon pickups were also an afterthought because Eidos was pressuring them to release. Sounds pretty cool if you ask me. Imagine storing up on weapons and items before entering a tomb. It would have made the tombs feel more realistic (no medipack or shotgun perfectly placed at random). I remember reading that the whole Parisian ghetto was going to serve as a main hub for the majority of the game. It wasn't even half way developed thats why when AOD was released this section was basically in one of its alpha stages or so it felt like it. The character dialog trees in these sections might have been a bit deeper as well where it would effect story and characters. Also, the "I feel stronger" crap was thrown in last minute as well. Originally, Lara would gradually become stronger the more you used a move. For example, the more time you spent swimming over the course of the game the more faster she'd swim. The more you used sprint the more you would develope her sprinting skills. I don't remember the source, but I think maybe it was the Official PlayStation magazine. Also, gathering money was going to be further developed as well. For example, Lara could find a old vintage comic in the dumpster and pawn it. Also, in the fight ring at the church Lara would be able to bet on fighters ( part of this was still included although useless) and maybe even fight them because I read this is where players where going to learn the fighting controls. The randomly placed money was odd. Parisian Ghetto felt like the most incomplete section in the entire game. Also, I think Janice and the drug dealer were meant to have bigger roles in this section. I remember this game was widely anticipated at the time and EIDOS advertised the @$#% out of it in print and video commercials from Visa to G4.
Yes, they wanted to make it all. The only thing I am not sure about is pawnshops in Prague. As far as I remember there was no reliable source for that. By the way, I think Parisian levels seem so unfinished because they were more developed in general. Furthermore, they were more often shown. Prague levels seemed empty and even not started to be developed.

Last edited by Aurimas; 09-01-14 at 03:54.
Aurimas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-14, 05:01   #92
jackraider
Inactive

It's been a good while since I last played the game. I agree, Prague was the worst part. I remember when first playing back in 2003 the game didn't get good until the Archaelogical dig level. That level really builds up the excitement for whats to come..an actual Tomb. But then somehow we get back into the lourve and it goes downhill again. The bits underneath the lourve were pretty well done for what it was..classic Tomb Raidin.

That whole section really shows off the AOD engine. On PS2 it was very impressive. At the time. (Still is kinda - the lovely lighting and haze/ smoke effects)

Last edited by jackraider; 09-01-14 at 05:07.
jackraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-14, 05:19   #93
Aurimas
Inactive

Continuing with map files there can be also something missing from PARIS4 (Louvre Galleries) as maps go like 857f8e94-.map, 95, 96, 97 and 99. There is no 98.

Also PRAGUE3 (The Bio-Research Facility) 1bc38a7a-.map, b, c, d, f, 8, 9. There is no e. Two last numbered maps are for the cutscenes?

PRAGUE4 (The Sanitarium) 25220390-.map, 91, 94, 96, 97. There is no 92, 93 and 95.

By the way, there are 6 characters in Cabal meeting cutscene. Therefore, Luther Rouzic is probably not there. I was expecting too much. However, it would be interesting to get in that cutscene anyway.

It is interesting that there are 3 characters in cutscene CS_15_24 (Lara says Karel killer Werner) but we only see Lara and Karel. The other character is Sleeper?

Gia, I noticed that for some reason cutscenes are only played once. Maybe you should try to make a copy of that CS_9_1.GMX (After the Monstrum Crime Scene) cutscene, name it PRAGUE2.GMX and replace it with original PRAGUE2.GMX (The Strahov Fortress). Remember to backup original PRAGUE2.GMX file. You can temporary move it to other folder. Then try to play the game from the end of The Monstrum Crimescene. I do not know what will happen but maybe this will work since the cutscene will be played at the end of The Monstrum Crimescene level but then it will be loaded again instead of PRAGUE2.GMX. If it will not work, then probably the only way is programming.

Quote:
It's been a good while since I last played the game. I agree, Prague was the worst part. I remember when first playing back in 2003 the game didn't get good until the Archaelogical dig level. That level really builds up the excitement for whats to come..an actual Tomb. But then somehow we get back into the lourve and it goes downhill again. The bits underneath the lourve were pretty well done for what it was..classic Tomb Raidin.

That whole section really shows off the AOD engine. On PS2 it was very impressive. At the time. (Still is kinda - the lovely lighting and haze/ smoke effects)

http://tombraiders.net/katie/screens...scenery112.jpg
I personally really loved the whole PS2 gaming era of early 00's. It was a good balance between gameplay and graphics.

Last edited by Aurimas; 09-01-14 at 05:31.
Aurimas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-14, 06:01   #94
jackraider
Inactive

Me too. ^

Last edited by jackraider; 09-01-14 at 06:06.
jackraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-14, 12:38   #95
Gia_

@Aurimas: I'm so glad that you're helping me with doing research! That was also kinda my idea with this topic, to activate people doing research again so we could all discover new things. I'll try to change the maps tomorrow. It's a good idea, maybe it works, who knows.
Gia_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-14, 21:19   #96
Sardoc

Quote:

It still looks lovely on the PC, too. Thanks to our dear modders, who have improved the animation speed, AOD is a lot better. Except for the bug in The Archaeological Dig, though (made a bug report, hope the author reads it soon).
Sardoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-14, 15:07   #97
Gia_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurimas View Post
Continuing with map files there can be also something missing from PARIS4 (Louvre Galleries) as maps go like 857f8e94-.map, 95, 96, 97 and 99. There is no 98.

Also PRAGUE3 (The Bio-Research Facility) 1bc38a7a-.map, b, c, d, f, 8, 9. There is no e. Two last numbered maps are for the cutscenes?

PRAGUE4 (The Sanitarium) 25220390-.map, 91, 94, 96, 97. There is no 92, 93 and 95.

By the way, there are 6 characters in Cabal meeting cutscene. Therefore, Luther Rouzic is probably not there. I was expecting too much. However, it would be interesting to get in that cutscene anyway.

It is interesting that there are 3 characters in cutscene CS_15_24 (Lara says Karel killer Werner) but we only see Lara and Karel. The other character is Sleeper?

Gia, I noticed that for some reason cutscenes are only played once. Maybe you should try to make a copy of that CS_9_1.GMX (After the Monstrum Crime Scene) cutscene, name it PRAGUE2.GMX and replace it with original PRAGUE2.GMX (The Strahov Fortress). Remember to backup original PRAGUE2.GMX file. You can temporary move it to other folder. Then try to play the game from the end of The Monstrum Crimescene. I do not know what will happen but maybe this will work since the cutscene will be played at the end of The Monstrum Crimescene level but then it will be loaded again instead of PRAGUE2.GMX. If it will not work, then probably the only way is programming.
Didn't work. Tried level skipping, opening the level in SCU, playing through Crimescene level.. All didn't work.
Btw Don't forget this:

Last edited by Gia_; 10-01-14 at 19:09.
Old 10-01-14, 23:06   #98
Gia_

Cafe 'Metro'?

Old 11-01-14, 00:37   #99
Sardoc

Learn French with AOD. Who knew they used the words "Metro" and "Alphonso" interchangeably.
Sardoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-14, 06:39   #100
Peterstar101

Need any help researching Gia? I am free for most of this month

Last edited by Peterstar101; 11-01-14 at 07:47.
Peterstar101 is offline   Reply With Quote