Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider

Old 04-04-20, 06:29   #71
ANoDE
Golden

Awesome work! So fun to watch

I see you kept to your word and used that medpack in Sanctuary.

There's two things I noticed:
* In Sanctuary, after picking up the first Ankh, you used the direction keys to turn around. Wouldn't a roll be quicker? Or does this have a deeper reason?
* Sometimes you shoot at enemies that you are going to ignore afterwards - it ot to get them in a different attack state?
ANoDE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-20, 14:46   #72
Woops

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANoDE View Post
Awesome work! So fun to watch

I see you kept to your word and used that medpack in Sanctuary.

There's two things I noticed:
* In Sanctuary, after picking up the first Ankh, you used the direction keys to turn around. Wouldn't a roll be quicker? Or does this have a deeper reason?
* Sometimes you shoot at enemies that you are going to ignore afterwards - it ot to get them in a different attack state?
Thank you! I'm glad you enjoy it

In general, turning is faster than rolling, you can even see it done after levers, using keys etc.
And in that particular place, rolling would make Lara fall off the little ledge she's on, which would definitely be slower.

As for shooting, yes, it's for manipulating their behavior. For example, in the end of Sanctuary, shooting the centaur is the only reason it ran around at the time I was inserting the scarab in, buying me a lot of time without the annoying bombs it shoots- making it possible to make it out with just one medipack. (And a little movement luck manipulation too)

---

And here's The Great Pyramid done!

And here's the TASVideos submission
http://tasvideos.org/6716S.html

Total time is 45:32

Last edited by Woops; 04-04-20 at 20:31.
Woops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-20, 21:39   #73
Heartache

oh my god the first atlantis room was half of the time of the level
Heartache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-20, 12:48   #74
AndrewNi

Smile

Yay, these are great, thanks Woops!

I like how at the end of Natlas Mines there's a dude standing outside the door to the pyramid like, "sup..."
AndrewNi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-20, 18:34   #75
Woops

I'm glad you enjoyed them guys, it really means a lot
Old 12-04-20, 14:01   #76
Greenapple968

I've just watched your TAS for TR1 from start to finish. It didn't take me long as you completed the levels very quickly, which is a hallmark of a successful speedrun. I've only seen a handful of Tool Assisted Speedruns, and I think that this is the first time in which I've seen a TAS for a Tomb Raider game. I've seen many speedruns for Tomb Raider games, but not a TAS.

Some of the glitches that you used are glitches that I've not seen used in other speedruns. Were some of these glitches only doable in a Tool Assisted Speedrun? The use of tools is fine in a TAS; the same way that the use of glitches is fine in a glitched speedrun. Out of interest, are Tool Assisted Speedruns easier or harder than standard speedruns?
Greenapple968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-20, 06:13   #77
Woops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenapple968 View Post
I've just watched your TAS for TR1 from start to finish. It didn't take me long as you completed the levels very quickly, which is a hallmark of a successful speedrun. I've only seen a handful of Tool Assisted Speedruns, and I think that this is the first time in which I've seen a TAS for a Tomb Raider game. I've seen many speedruns for Tomb Raider games, but not a TAS.

Some of the glitches that you used are glitches that I've not seen used in other speedruns. Were some of these glitches only doable in a Tool Assisted Speedrun? The use of tools is fine in a TAS; the same way that the use of glitches is fine in a glitched speedrun. Out of interest, are Tool Assisted Speedruns easier or harder than standard speedruns?
I'm glad you liked it!

I can't really say for sure as I've not done many "standard" speedruns, however I can for sure tell you standard runs require tons more skill and patience (not that TAS doesn't, don't get me wrong, TASing is not easy either.)

But the more I think of it, you really can't compare the two tbh
Old 14-04-20, 10:24   #78
Greenapple968

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woops View Post
I'm glad you liked it!

I can't really say for sure as I've not done many "standard" speedruns, however I can for sure tell you standard runs require tons more skill and patience (not that TAS doesn't, don't get me wrong, TASing is not easy either.)

But the more I think of it, you really can't compare the two tbh
I've been on your YouTube Channel and I've seen all of your speedruns for TR1, TR2 and TR3. Although I couldn't see any speedruns for Coastal Village, Crash Site or All Hallows. Will you be doing speedruns for those levels?

I'm aware that speedrunning is much harder than it looks; individual videos can take hundreds/thousands of tries as well as goodness knows how much practicing and preparing. Some people think that glitched speedruns are easier than glitchless since you have the advantage of being able to use glitches, but I suspect that glitched speedruns are actually harder since some glitches can be very hard to pull off. I didn't know if Tool Assisted Speedruns were easier since you have the advantage of being able to use tools or if the speedruns were harder because you have to use even more tricky shortcuts than usual.
Greenapple968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-20, 17:26   #79
Woops

(sorry for the bump, this took a while due to issues with YouTube)
The TASVideos publication is out!

Old 17-06-20, 17:44   #80
UroshUchiha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woops View Post
(sorry for the bump, this took a while due to issues with YouTube)
The TASVideos publication is out!

I'm gonna watch this before bed. A perfect way to end the day
UroshUchiha is offline   Reply With Quote