www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > Technical Support

Old 19-01-22, 07:27   #1
LateRaider
Professor

Default TR: LAU on PC - Going down left / southwest on controller?

Hi. I'm not sure I'd be able to get help on this... If nothing else, I wanted to point this out online so someone other than me is aware.

On an XInput controller: has anyone else tried to go directly down-left ("southwest" on the left analog stick) in TR: Legend, Anniversary, or Underworld only to be met with Lara not moving? All other directions are fine, it's just directly down-left. This happens in all 3 games.

I thought my controller was defective, until Windows Game Controllers Configuration and other games (As in my test, Dreamfall. As well as Resident Evil 0 Remastered, which has an option for non-tank controls--I don't use this mode normally, but I did for this test.) revealed that directly down-left is fine there. It's just LAU.

So... if one of this trilogy makes you think something is wrong with your controller, try some other games first.

edit - i got a new controller and it doesnt have this problem, but i did notice when calibrating the new one, it wasnt able to go into the farthest corners of the analog stick calibration. my old one was. i think some controllers try to go beyond the standard analog threshold, and that was my problem with LAU. weird that every single game in LAU had this issue but there ya go

Last edited by LateRaider; 20-01-22 at 21:03.
LateRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-22, 23:40   #2
Delroj
Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateRaider View Post
Hi. I'm not sure I'd be able to get help on this... If nothing else, I wanted to point this out online so someone other than me is aware.

On an XInput controller: has anyone else tried to go directly down-left ("southwest" on the left analog stick) in TR: Legend, Anniversary, or Underworld only to be met with Lara not moving? All other directions are fine, it's just directly down-left. This happens in all 3 games.

I thought my controller was defective, until Windows Game Controllers Configuration and other games (As in my test, Dreamfall. As well as Resident Evil 0 Remastered, which has an option for non-tank controls--I don't use this mode normally, but I did for this test.) revealed that directly down-left is fine there. It's just LAU.

So... if one of this trilogy makes you think something is wrong with your controller, try some other games first.

edit - i got a new controller and it doesnt have this problem, but i did notice when calibrating the new one, it wasnt able to go into the farthest corners of the analog stick calibration. my old one was. i think some controllers try to go beyond the standard analog threshold, and that was my problem with LAU. weird that every single game in LAU had this issue but there ya go
It happened to me using an PS4 controller, with Xbox controller it worked fine i suggest you to deactivate de mouse in Legend, or reinstall driver in case your controller is from xbox, you can find the drivers at microsoft webpage, also you can try using xbox 360 drive.
Delroj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-22, 16:13   #3
dg1995
Archaeologist

You can use the Xbox 360 controller emulator application and see if it fixes the problem.
dg1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-22, 13:20   #4
spikejones
Tomb Raider

It might sound crazy, but if you use a wireless controller - try plugging it in. Sometimes, that will make all the difference in your playthrough. Don't ask why it works, I can't really explain it - but it just does.

If you play on steam, there's a bunch of override settings so that you can map xinput to keyboard and mouse controls. Sometimes that is necessary. Ive actually always enjoyed this feature of steam; its basically using joy2key inside its own operating system - which allows users to bind any keyboard or mouse input onto a controller. This also allows a user to remap default bindings in certain games where the control style isn't comfortable to them.

I somehow managed to beat DS series with a broken left shoulder (default block button) But I actually went through many controllers before I beat the entire series several times each. I have a box of retired controllers.