Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > Video Games

Old 14-02-18, 18:02   #1
ggctuk

Default Star Wars Game Franchise Thread V2

The old thread died a death two years ago, so I feel it is time to start a new one. Since the last thread we've had a grand total of two EA Star Wars games (both in the same series) and the LEGO Force Awakens game. So there's a bit to discuss there.

Also, a bit of news to start this thread:

Quote:
Things haven’t been quite so easy with Electronic Arts since it acquired the exclusive Star Wars game license from the folks at Disney.

Sure, the original Battlefront went very well when it came to sales, but its sequel, which released last November, was met with a great deal of controversy over its loot box system. In fact, it got to the point that Disney reportedly stepped in to force the company to cancel its Microtransactions right before the game’s launch.

And then there’s the cancellation of another one of the company’s Star Wars projects and the abrupt closure of Visceral Games, which many fans questioned considering that it looked like a strong single-player game was in the works. EA reportedly preferred something multiplayer-oriented, and that didn’t help matters much either, making the company one of the worst hated in the industry.

So now, in the midst of several petitions calling for EA to lose the Star Wars license, a new story suggests that Disney may be shopping the license around to other developers. Cinelinx reports that Lucasfilm is looking at other options, after taking EA to the “principal’s office” to discuss what was going wrong, while at the same time reaching out to both Activision and Ubisoft to see what they could offer in terms of Star Wars developments.

The reporter notes, “I know what you’re thinking, because I had the same thoughts. EA has a contract for the games, exclusively. How could Disney get around that without breaching and causing more problems? I don’t know all the technical aspects of it, but supposedly there’s an addendum of some kind within the contract that would allow Disney to pull the license, or shop it around, if certain standards/conditions weren’t being met.”

Considering that Battlefront II has been performing below par in terms of sales – especially compared to the original Battlefront – there may be cause for concern.

EA has noted in the past that it’s still getting along with Disney, and that the media calls the whole relationship between them overblown. But when it comes down to the bottom line, it would be easy to see why Lucasfilm would give other companies consideration. And, yes, we would totally kill to see an Assassin’s Creed style game with someone like Darth Maul. Just imagine it.

Neither Lucasfilm nor EA have said a word about this, so take it with a grain of salt. But considering everything that’s happened with Battlefront II – and the fact that EA wants to bring those bothersome Microtransactions back into the picture – don’t be surprised if there’s a shake-up down the road.
SOURCE

So there is a chance EA loses their exclusivity and either Ubisoft or Activision could do Star Wars games. That'd certainly be interesting but I don't think these two choices are much better TBH.

Anyway, discuss away!
ggctuk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-18, 18:53   #2
rewak

Neither are very good, but I guess Ubisoft would be the better option. Activision would just lead to nothing but bland first person shooters. Ubisoft will lead to half a game being released with the rest to be sold as DLC later, but you'd eventually get a complete game. Don't understand why they don't go to Telltale, it's a pretty perfect model for a game in the Star Wars universe.
rewak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-18, 19:09   #3
ggctuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by rewak View Post
Ubisoft will lead to half a game being released with the rest to be sold as DLC later
So... pretty much the same as EA now.

I'm guessing LucasFilm is probably looking at more than just those two.
Old 14-02-18, 19:21   #4
rewak

See that's the thing, if you're only looking at single player (and why wouldn't you?) Battlefront 2 was a pretty good game, and the only piece of DLC for it was free and held back to avoid spoiling the opening of The Last Jedi. It was a complete game with a hacked multiplayer, and if they'd marketed it more as a single player game with a multiplayer mode rather than a multiplayer game with a single player campaign I doubt the whole debacle with the loot boxes would have been as big as it was. Don't get me wrong, it was a bad situation and they deserved to be called out on it, but it really drowned out how fun and surprisingly lengthy the single player campaign was.
rewak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-18, 23:16   #5
Zreen001

I still play Swtor. So much effort went into making that game. Almost EVERYONE has a speaking role, including your PC.

On the flip side, I recently replayed the Dark Forces series, and it's so much better than I remember (or maybe I've just gotten better at videogames since the early 2000s).

I can't get into the new Battlefronts. They're just... idk, deliberately unremarkable (aside from 2's campaign, that actually looks interesting but could use more).
Zreen001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-18, 12:55   #6
KManX89

Ugh, good to know that they're forcing us to choose between the lesser of three evils. AV wouldn't be much better than EA. If AV gets their grubby mitts on the Star Wars license, you better believe they'll milk that **** dry with extensive paid DLC, microtransactions and, yes, loot boxes. Don't believe me, look no further than CoD and Destiny 2.

For all the damage EA did to their brand, they sure are setting themselves up for failure again if they give it to Hacktivision after all the **** they and Bungie have pulled in Destiny 2, which is basically Destiny 1.5.

Give it to CDPR or Bethesda.
KManX89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-18, 13:43   #7
ggctuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by KManX89 View Post
Ugh, good to know that they're forcing us to choose between the lesser of three evils. AV wouldn't be much better than EA. If AV gets their grubby mitts on the Star Wars license, you better believe they'll milk that **** dry with extensive paid DLC, microtransactions and, yes, loot boxes. Don't believe me, look no further than CoD and Destiny 2.

For all the damage EA did to their brand, they sure are setting themselves up for failure again if they give it to Hacktivision after all the **** they and Bungie have pulled in Destiny 2, which is basically Destiny 1.5.

Give it to CDPR or Bethesda.
Bethesda have done some iffy things once or twice (what company hasn't?) but their games are stellar and they understand revitalising long-thought-gone franchises. Just look at Wolfenstein and Doom. So I 100% agree with this.

I think the best scenario would be a per-game contract. A developer approaches LucasFilm and hashes out a deal.

Last edited by ggctuk; 17-02-18 at 13:45.
Old 17-02-18, 14:02   #8
sackboy123

Lego Star Wars Complete Saga and Classic SWBF2 are still the best Star wars games I've played. That is all
sackboy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-18, 18:34   #9
KManX89

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggctuk View Post
Bethesda have done some iffy things once or twice (what company hasn't?) but their games are stellar and they understand revitalising long-thought-gone franchises. Just look at Wolfenstein and Doom. So I 100% agree with this.

I think the best scenario would be a per-game contract. A developer approaches LucasFilm and hashes out a deal.
CDPR would be another great choice after Witcher 3 and the upcoming CP2077, which also looks fantastic.

Or, if not those 2, maybe Sega/Creative Assembly? They both own the Alien franchise thanks to the Fox deal, so why not?
KManX89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-18, 08:29   #10
HD Simplicityy

I hope for the day some publisher snatches rights from EA and makes a stellar single player campaign, or more than one, and show EA who's boss. Not focus everything on multiplayer and a terrible Star Card/MT system. I'm all for a game with a fantastic and replayable single player and addicting, well constructed and replayable multiplayer.

Glad I skipped Battlefront II.

Last edited by HD Simplicityy; 18-02-18 at 08:30.
HD Simplicityy is offline   Reply With Quote