Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > Video Games

Old 17-01-21, 13:37   #211
rewak

Psychonauts 2 isn't exclusive, and the rest of the list falls apart a little when you realise these are all coming to PC as well. They're still missing actual console only exclusives. It's all part of the Game Pass plan, they're putting a lot of eggs in that basket and I don't know if it's going to pay off for them. It'll be interesting to find out though.
rewak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-21, 15:52   #212
Wooxman

Quote:
Originally Posted by rewak View Post
They're still missing actual console only exclusives.
They won't get those anytime soon with their huge focus on PC gaming. But there's a huge crowd of people who will still buy a console over a PC, even if they can get the exact same games on both platforms and I'm sure that MS is targetting that audience, especially since Game Pass makes console gaming on Xbox pretty cheap considering how expensive console games are and how long it takes until they get cheaper.
Wooxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-21, 16:36   #213
TrustyBow

Itll definitely work out for them. This gen is gonna be huge with gaming streaming services and Game Pass is so far ahead of all the competition. They already have 15+ million subscribers and that's before they've even dropped the big exclusives that they have in development.

Eventually its gonna get to the point where every 2-3 months there'll be a huge AAA game dropping day one on the service.
TrustyBow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-21, 16:46   #214
rewak

There's no doubt it's got a lot of attention, but is selling a subscription for $15 a month better than selling a game at launch for $60+ per unit? That's what's going to be interesting, because at the current model will they see the same profit per AAA game release as they would by selling the games seperatley first then having them join Game Pass later? I'm not so sure if that aspect of it is sustainable, and they've flat out admitted that it isn't that profitable right now, so if they want to have the same return on new games they will have to tweak it eventually. It's whether the audience stays after that tweak that'll make or break them, risky strategy and it's been tried and failed before, but like you said the time is now for streaming services and they are doing things the competition isn't.
Old 18-01-21, 10:28   #215
killchan

With Fortnite and Overwatch dominating the market and the return of some retro franchises, if Sunset Overdrive came out 2 years ago people would have been more open to it. But as a launch title for a a new console it was the absolute worst choice. People wanted photorealism and PS4 delivered on that more times than it needed. The closest thing to a pretty game that plays like an actual game and not like an interactive movie Xbox one had at launch was Dead Rising 3 which, , you know. it had some oomph, it introduced many people to the franchise but it was just Dead Risign.
Oh and I'd rather forget about Titanfall as a whole.

Now, about this list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamayoo View Post
Microsoft exclusivities seem to be in a good shape since forever.

- Possibly Indiana Jones
- Perfect Dark
- Scorn
- Psychonauts 2
- The Medium
- Fable 4
- Possibly future Doom releases
- S.T.A.L.K.E.R 2

It's already much much stronger than all the Xbox One era, where there was just Halo or Forza or Gears. Cuphead and Ori to be the notable exceptions.
I'm happy about Perfect Dark and IJ is IJ, but all I see here is potential.
Fable is Fable, PN is PN...

Scorn is .

How do you spend 13 minutes doing nothing like this

The Medium... I'm calling it now, it's a nicely dressed walking sim with a glorified gimmick and bad acting.
This studio can only do 1 type of game, only this time they got enough money to animate a boring looking playable character so that they could make it a 3rd person game. That's it... except they still managed to come up with pretty terrible animations.
Btw all this time they've been trying really hard to hide the actual nature of the game while teasing a Silent Hill-ish component... but then people on steam forums have started asking real questions like "is there combat? what do you to in this game? is it a survival horror where you actually do stuff or a ''''psychological'''' horror aka the game plays it self?" so they shiftly dropped the "featuring the composer from Silent Hill" from every headline and started playing the "but ehi you need to run away from this creature!" like sure buddy, you totally didn't try to bait survival horror fans.

you know the game is full of nothing when the (p)reviewer has describe in detail every tiny interaction or else he wouldn't have anything to say

Last edited by killchan; 18-01-21 at 10:31.
killchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-21, 13:03   #216
Wooxman

Quote:
There's no doubt it's got a lot of attention, but is selling a subscription for $15 a month better than selling a game at launch for $60+ per unit? That's what's going to be interesting, because at the current model will they see the same profit per AAA game release as they would by selling the games seperatley first then having them join Game Pass later?
It's not "either or" though. They're still selling new games at the regular price but also have them as part of game pass on top of that. And with game pass they're guaranteed to get money, no matter how many subscribers actually play certain games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by killchan View Post
With Fortnite and Overwatch dominating the market and the return of some retro franchises, if Sunset Overdrive came out 2 years ago people would have been more open to it. But as a launch title for a a new console it was the absolute worst choice. People wanted photorealism and PS4 delivered on that more times than it needed.
Unfortunately this is true. I love Sunset Overdrive, but damn, did that game underperform in terms of sales and recognition. Now that we're in the era of more cartoony games, it surely would've drawn more attention, would it have been released later on.
Wooxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-21, 14:00   #217
jajay119

Im intregued by the Medium but I must admit I have no idea what it's supposed to play like or whether it will work.
jajay119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-21, 14:13   #218
Jami393

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamayoo View Post
Microsoft exclusivities seem to be in a good shape since forever.

- Possibly Indiana Jones
- Perfect Dark
- Scorn
- Psychonauts 2
- The Medium
- Fable 4
- Possibly future Doom releases
- S.T.A.L.K.E.R 2

It's already much much stronger than all the Xbox One era, where there was just Halo or Forza or Gears. Cuphead and Ori to be the notable exceptions.
Future Doom releases I can see going to other platforms, the same with Indiana Jones. And Psychonauts 2 is also coming to PS4.
Jami393 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-21, 14:04   #219
killchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jajay119 View Post
Im intregued by the Medium but I must admit I have no idea what it's supposed to play like or whether it will work.
the studio is very active on steam forums.

I popped the question, let's see what they have to say.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/12931...8980043522304/
killchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-21, 11:42   #220
rewak

Quote:
they will have to tweak it eventually. It's whether the audience stays after that tweak that'll make or break them,
Well this happened a lot faster than I was expecting. After announcing a price rise for Gold yesterday and getting a lot of negative feedback MS have backpedaled and will be keeping the price the same. Now they're in a tight situation, they know people aren't willing to pay more for what's on offer but they can't keep offering what they are at that price point if they want to see a profit. Next step is to reduce what's on offer and see what the response to that kind of change will be.