Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > Video Games

Old 12-01-21, 20:00   #11
dg1995

I'm kinda hyped for it.(50 percent since I'm not sure about Machine Games. I hated their Wolfenstein 2 game.)

In my opinion play the Emperor's Tomb game if you haven't already.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/5...Emperors_Tomb/

I just hope they make it more like Emperor's Tomb than like Infernal Machine.(Since Infernal Machine was more a PS1 TR clone with better graphics but with worse combat and movements.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samz View Post
I'm scared we're just gonna get yet another linear uncharted-like game as opposed to say, something like Infernal Machine.
I think Uncharted was a clone of Emperor's Tomb.(Even guys that worked on Indiana Jones and the Staff Of kings claimed that Uncharted 1 looked similar to the Indiana Jones game they were making.)
https://www.gameinformer.com/b/featu...ry-studio.aspx

Edit: For the records this is how the last proper Indiana Jones game was.(But was sadly cancelled)

Last edited by dg1995; 12-01-21 at 20:05.
dg1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-21, 15:28   #12
jackali
Golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valentino View Post
I keep seeing on other websites Microsoft is inevitably, or, as we speak, acquiring Bathesda. So this would/could be an Xbox exclusive, right?
Which makes sense as Microsoft have been lusting over having a single player, 3rd party action game for years. Hence the exclusive deal with RotTR so it could "go head to head with Uncharted"............ although they gave up on Rise after they announced it's exclusivity and the game was basically released on a drip
They already have. It could be, MS definitely have the right to do that, but I doubt they will, as I don't think Disney would be happy with that.
jackali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-21, 22:48   #13
Wooxman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mani_Man View Post
Nice, i still remember that one Indiana Jones game back in the day with this cool Physics engine that sadly never came out.

Man was i hyped for that back in the day, i think i watched the trailer and all hundreds of times.
Lets see what they will do with this, where their game goes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dg1995 View Post
Edit: For the records this is how the last proper Indiana Jones game was.(But was sadly cancelled)
They didn't completely cancel it. They "only" cancelled the Xbox 360 (and probably PS3 and PC; I don't think that those versions were confirmed) versions of it and released it on PS2, Wii and PSP as Staff of Kings.

Apparently the PSP version of that game is better than the PS2 and Wii versions.

I don't think that the new game will be like Uncharted. As much as its fans claim it, Uncharted isn't an action adventure. It's a cover based shooter with some light platforming and a few easy puzzles. But considering that Indy is more known for using his whip and fists to fight his enemies than his revolver, an Indy game that is a cover based shooter wouldn't really fit.

Last edited by Wooxman; 14-01-21 at 22:49.
Wooxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-21, 22:55   #14
dg1995

I played the PS2 version of it and it was a very disappointing game.

It was like a movie that half of it's scenes were removed.(The story of Staff Of Kings felt like that)

The gameplay was also a complete downgrade from Emperor's Tomb.
Old 17-01-21, 18:54   #15
Raider8

This game is gonna be the uncharted from Microsoft if it doesn't release on the PlayStation.
Raider8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-21, 20:47   #16
.snake.

The trailer seems to hint at both Rome and Mesopotamia as possible locations for the game, or at least related to the story.

I do hope they do something Mesopotamian with ancient Babylon, Sumer, or Persia. Tomb Raider never did this, and they had so many chances over the years now at trying to give us an original and new location, and instead just wasted our time over and over again in Meso-American jungles. Here's hoping that this Indi game is a good TR replacement.
.snake. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-21, 21:42   #17
dg1995

Collective made a prototype for Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb sequel around 2003.(Which didn't get anywhere since Lucasarts wanted to make the next IJ game themselves)

The video has been uploaded online and thought I share it here:

They wanted the game to feature the 3 movies locations. The gameplay looks like an updated version of Emperor's Tomb.

Hope Bethesda's new IJ game becomes like this gameplay wise.
Old 03-04-21, 12:26   #18
Wooxman

That's cool, thanks for sharing, dg1995!

What a shame that this didn't turn into a real game! The Collective was such a brilliant developer studio and among the few that produced several great licensed games.

Everyone who loves the gameplay of Emperor's Tomb and has the means to do so should play their Xbox Buffy game. It has almost the same gameplay as Emperor's Tomb (in fact a lot of the files of Emperor's Tomb still have references to the Buffy game) and is a lot of fun! Their Star Wars Revenge of the Sith game is also awesome, though the gameplay is more hack 'n' slash-y than adventure-y. Such a shame that this studio doesn't exist anymore.
Wooxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-21, 22:05   #19
dg1995

You're welcome.

I remember reading somewhere that Collective was making a Dirty Harry game for PS3 and Xbox 360 which got cancelled and that cancellation bankrupted them.
Old 16-05-21, 00:54   #20
dg1995

Finally ! An article that explains what problems staff of kings faced during development.

https://www.fanbyte.com/features/wha...taff-of-kings/

If you want a short version of it:
1.The game missed its 2007 deadline.(I think it was due to PS3's difficult hardware since The Force Unleashed team used the same engine and faced that problem)

2.Lucasarts put some important developers of Indiana Jones on The Force Unleashed. So they had to hire new developers for the Indy game.

3.Unfortunately, the new developers decided to change the camera which forced them to scrap what was done until 2007.(Minus the story)

4.In the end they were making progress with their newer version but LA cancelled it in early 2009.

Edit: If you are interested some design documents of Staff Of Kings was uploaded here:
https://freeradical.fandom.com/wiki/..._Document_Leak

Last edited by dg1995; 16-05-21 at 01:13.