www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider

Old 31-05-15, 22:17   #581
tsivour
Hobbyist

Default Tomb Raider 1996 (original) 16:9 patching

Thats exactly what I am saying and of course you are right!
But during gameplay its not even noticed.
I am still looking for that fov value and everything will be in place.
In the meanwhile do we have anything to lose if we can have this as a first
option as 16:9? Zooming value was never discovered in the first place was it? :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Famicom View Post
I find your work astonishing, but judging the pictures you've provided, pulling back the camera or pushing Lara forward to make her seem at the right distance from the player and then zooming in produces a reduction in FOV.

That zoom in operation will for sure ruin scenery depth and sensations during gameplay -especially when running forward or rotating the camera-. For some, or maybe for many, that will be ok or they won't even notice, but not for me I guess. In this comparison gif you can see how Z axis gets compressed, making the background bigger -closer- as compared to Lara. Honestly I don't think Hitchcock's techniques can do any good to our TR:

tsivour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-15, 22:29   #582
Famicom
Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsivour View Post
Thats exactly what I am saying and of course you are right!
But during gameplay its not even noticed.
I am still looking for that fov value and everything will be in place.
In the meanwhile do we have anything to lose if we can have this as a first
option as 16:9? Zooming value was never discovered in the first place was it? :-)
If you end up getting FOV/Z axis right, my respect and kudos to you

I edited my previous post BTW

Last edited by Famicom; 31-05-15 at 22:30.
Famicom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-15, 22:30   #583
tsivour
Hobbyist

Damn, you will make me no sleep tonight! :-) I will do my best to elminate fov issue as soon as possible then, some amount of values left to experiment with... Glad to meet people here that are stricted to that! Makes things happen more than meets the eye! And for that issue, its not a even a metaphore haha :-). Talk to you as soon as I make progress...
Old 31-05-15, 22:33   #584
Famicom
Historian

Quote:
Damn, you will make me no sleep tonight! :-) I will do my best to elminate fov issue as soon as possible then, some amount of values left to experiment with... Glad to meet people here that are stricted to that! Makes things happen more than meets the eye! And for that issue, its not a even a metaphore haha :-). Talk to you as soon as I make progress...
Hahaha looks promising
Welcome to the forum

Last edited by Famicom; 31-05-15 at 22:40.
Famicom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-15, 11:10   #585
gidierre
Grease Monkey

Quote:
Now, thing is I need to private chat with mr. gidierre so I can be helped how to change dos box output from its settings to fit this output (I dont think it will be difficult). The following two links are demonstrating the original tomb raider output and the one I hacked out from tomb.exe.

if you need some kind of advice with dosbox settings or whatever, just ask
but how have you been running your hacked tomb.exe so far anyway? what were those screens you posted from?

you're certainly not using my installer, which won't load a hacked exe, or at least won't until it's told to
so are you setting dosbox up manually or what?
in case, there's not much todo there except fiddle with dosbox.conf & glide wrapper settings, sorry but I must say I'm not sure the scaler or aspect or output items may be that useful in the end as regards your field of interest

btw you also want to read this earlier post by peixoto I think
http://www.tombraiderforums.com/show...&postcount=561

Quote:
Hitchcock's techniques
ROFLMAO

Last edited by gidierre; 01-06-15 at 11:17.
gidierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-15, 22:28   #586
Famicom
Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gidierre View Post
ROFLMAO
Old 01-06-15, 23:09   #587
gidierre
Grease Monkey

Quote:
Vertidog
Old 02-06-15, 17:59   #588
tsivour
Hobbyist

Its been more than 24 hours i havent slept, i feel so dizzy... I cant find where the fov value is inside tomb.exe, I have experienced so many graphics changes but that :-(. If I guys tell you which sector zooms in or out Lara (which took me 3 weeks to find it out), will you help me find the fov sector? I promise I will immedetiately build the 16:9 patch of tomb raider 1996 PC and publish it to everybody. Noone has ever come so far till this got damn! Please fetch some good hackers inside here :-(. And mr gidierre, the values on the functions you posted to me didnt help me on my disassembling but thank you so much! Any help is good!! If I find that damn fov sector and as soon as I make the patch I will talk to you mr gidierre so you will then build a new installer supporting widescreen!!! I will start debugging again tomorrow, I need some good sleep... please guys help me here, I am so close...

Last edited by tsivour; 02-06-15 at 18:16. Reason: TR 1996 PC - HD patch
Old 02-06-15, 19:00   #589
gidierre
Grease Monkey

Quote:
I cant find where the fov value is inside tomb.exe, I have experienced so many graphics changes but that :-(. If I guys tell you which sector zooms in or out Lara (which took me 3 weeks to find it out), will you help me find the fov sector?
gidierre, the values on the functions you posted to me didnt help me on my disassembling but thank you so much! Any help is good
well you see I quoted here that pcsx-reloaded stuff, because I guessed gte_accuracy.c contents namely that handful of functions could be helpful in a general way, not to mention that all the ps1 emulator things ought to be ported to glide wrapper usage

I also took due notice of Peixoto's subsequent somehow dismissive remark when he wrote: PC Tomb Raider only passes transform and lit polygons to the API. As the widescreen fix on PSXR works for every game, i suppose these games use a PSX API to transform polygons, unless it is a fix that reduces the vertical FOV instead of increasing the horizontal FOV. In any case, apply this fix to the PC version is useless, either it wont work or it will only reduce the vertical FOV
alrighty
all of that mostly in order to spare you pointless time expenditure if the horizontal fov isn't handled right anyway, though I'd gladly welcome some more words from Peixoto on this

let me add that addressing direct hex editing of an exe this way looks terribly hard, have you considered debugging dosbox ie using a dosbox.exe debug-enabled version to approach all the doggone stuff?
dosbox code is open, so is the glide patch (of course that'll be after you got a glimpse of where to start at)
in the past I've been using such a strategy myself, eg about the "missing shadow" issue, and I found it easier to (try to) come to grips with stuff.

Last edited by gidierre; 02-06-15 at 19:10.
gidierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-15, 21:38   #590
Sardoc
Archaeologist

As a break from the FOV thingy,...

Someone's just posted this vid: Unfinished Business fps issues

What could be the reason?
Sardoc is offline   Reply With Quote