www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Franchise > Tomb Raider Motion Pictures

Old 11-10-19, 19:27   #14961
Tonyrobinson
Tomb Raider

Looking forward to Jungle Cruise, definitely giving me vibes like The Mummy, looks kind of paint by numbers but fun. Emily is great and would be a great Lara.
Old 11-10-19, 19:42   #14962
GeekOfComedy
Archaeologist

FIRST BIT OF INTEL!

It will follow "Rise of the Tomb Raider"

https://www.empireonline.com/movies/...oSod2yFnYmBwJI

Quote:
As for what the film itself will involve, Wheatley kept quiet. “If I'm smart I say nothing at this point,” he said. “The voice is in my head, 'No, don't say a ****ing thing! Be quiet now, be calm!’” He did offer one tease though: “It sticks pretty much to what happens in the game, if you can imagine.” With 2018’s Tomb Raider taking inspiration from the 2013 video game reboot, it sounds like Wheatley’s sequel could be adapting elements of 2015’s Rise Of The Tomb Raider, which took Lara to the frozen wilds of Siberia, hunting for more treasure and once again facing nefarious organisation Trinity.

Hear more from Wheatley in this week’s Empire Podcast, coming soon to a pod-device near you.

Last edited by GeekOfComedy; 11-10-19 at 19:43.
GeekOfComedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-19, 19:51   #14963
PinkyPromise
Archaeologist

OMG! "It sticks pretty much to what happens in the game, if you can imagine.” It's a bit open ... I don't want the plot of Rise!
PinkyPromise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-19, 19:57   #14964
Tonyrobinson
Tomb Raider

I was just about to post this. Hopefully he means it will involve Ana and a snowy setting. Rise or Shadow possibly combined.

Last edited by Tonyrobinson; 11-10-19 at 20:05.
Tonyrobinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-19, 20:03   #14965
Grizzly Bear
Archaeologist

I'm happy to hear this!

I mean, even an original brand new story could have been great but looking at other movies based on video games, I can remember more negative examples than positive ones so I'm glad he decided to keep the games' story.
Of course, this doesn't mean he has to be 100% faithful to the games, like TR18 there are going to be big differences, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

I can't wait for the big Ana storyline, I'm sure she will be such a better villain than Mathias...
Grizzly Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-19, 20:15   #14966
Tonyrobinson
Tomb Raider

The snowy setting would be visually different enough to keep things fresh and exciting. I would have prefers a Mayan adventure but Rise is unique enough to adapt and keep things different I guess.

I'd like them to keep the Prophet storyline although it could be problematic, Ana should be the main villain and they should definitely keep the bear scene.

I guess if it does follow Rise it is most likely they'll be shooting in Iceland or Canada.
Old 11-10-19, 20:17   #14967
PinkyPromise
Archaeologist

I still think they won't follow Rise. I think he only refers to Ana being the villain. I hate Rise a lot ... it would be very sad for my haha
PinkyPromise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-19, 20:22   #14968
Rai

Hopefully Ben will make the Rise plot different enough to keep it interesting, so more of an inspiration than direct likeness.

I'm glad they introduced Trinity and Ana in the first film now as they can build on that. Having failed in acquiring Himiko and her associated power (that wasn't), Trinity can now go after the Prophet/Kitezh and the Divine Source. I actually liked that myth, it could work for the film. I'm gonna hazard a guess that they'll miss out the Richard sub plot as they dealt with that in the first film. It makes sense to leave that in Yamatai. Though I suppose, as they're supposedly still filming in Wilton House, they could do a mini plot in the manor with Lara making more discoveries about her family. Her mum hasn't been mentioned much yet.

My only real concern is Lara's motivation. She doesn't have the discovery of the supernatural or immortality to urge her on, so it looks like it will be going after Trinity initially. I hope that her archaeological and supernatural myths interest will be ignited in this film to give her something to investigate beyond Trinity. I also hope they do away with Trinity in this film, rather than setting up for a next time. And now I've typed Trinity too many times and I'm already bored with them .

I really hope they give Alicia the red jacket as a homage to the game outfit. I loved it.

Last edited by Rai; 11-10-19 at 20:27.
Rai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-19, 20:26   #14969
Grizzly Bear
Archaeologist

Rise story can't be adapted the way it is I guess, it needs some major changes.

For example I wouldn't oppose if they cut the remnants completely, I mean, it would require a lot of time to explain their storyline properly and do we really need to see the big battle between Trinity and the remnants?
In Syberia Lara would find only ruins about the prophets and his followers who moved there, just not living people...

I honestly don't know what would work or not, I'm not an expert, so I guess I'll just wait and see.
Grizzly Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-19, 20:28   #14970
Tonyrobinson
Tomb Raider

Inspired by Rise using its setting and some storybeats with Ana as the villain is fine by me but I would like changes. Similar to the first film inspired by it without being a direct adaption. I'd like to see The Remnants I think Sofia would be fun to see on screen but the Prophet storyline is problematic to adapt. Ana having cancer would work though and layer her a lot more.

Last edited by Tonyrobinson; 11-10-19 at 20:30.
Tonyrobinson is offline   Reply With Quote