Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > Video Games

Old 02-07-20, 07:38   #681
jackoimina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Error96 View Post
While nearly all the 0's are fake I am sure a big proportion of the 10's are too. I think 4.9 is more accurate especially it's now reaching 100,000 reviews. It's the reviewer score of 95 is the one we really need to have serious questions about it's legitimacy. Latest stuff on twitter says two review sites Polygon and Vice that were negative on TLOU2 have been contacted by PS reps and asked to explain their review.
Absolutely. And that's what's so troubling: instead of calling out the biased media reports of the game people choose to turn a blind eye and attack each other, name calling and bullying others online.

Official critics are so obviously manipulated into praising the game by ND that I can't imagine who in their right mind would think those reviews are real. No game is perfect and especially this one isn't. A game so dark and troubling would have at least a few critics mention some parts of it that will probably not work for everyone. Instead, almost every big news outlet went ahead to call it a masterpiece, a game of a generation. It's ridiculous, a hive mind mentality = IGN and some others praised it, then some more of them praised it and then the rest didn't wanna go against the current.

What's good though is independent YT reviewers who spoke about this later when the restrictions have lifted. Turns out they were only allowed to discuss first act of the game, playing with Ellie, not mentioning Joel at all and the only footage that can be used in reviews was provided by ND. A corporation manipulating the media. And media should be there to inform the public, not trick it for one corporation's financial gain. That's what makes this TLOU2 mess even worse.

After all of that being painfully obvious now, people still go online and attack each other over differences in OPINON. How sad is that..?
jackoimina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-20, 20:18   #682
SnatchingEdges

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackoimina View Post
Turns out they were only allowed to discuss first act of the game, playing with Ellie, not mentioning Joel at all and the only footage that can be used in reviews was provided by ND. A corporation manipulating the media. And media should be there to inform the public, not trick it for one corporation's financial gain. That's what makes this TLOU2 mess even worse.
Can we stop acting like this is a sin or sumn? Talking about what happens after Ellie or about Joel would be a huge spoiler. Professional reviews don't contain spoilers.
SnatchingEdges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-20, 20:33   #683
Linoshi Croft

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnatchingEdges View Post
Can we stop acting like this is a sin or sumn? Talking about what happens after Ellie or about Joel would be a huge spoiler. Professional reviews don't contain spoilers.
Well, a lot of professional reviewers actually took issue with the embargo. It was apparently much more stringent than normal and a lot felt it hindered them from expressing their opinions fully. So, I do think it's important to highlight as an issue. I don't think anyone should ever feel like they're being obstructed from expressing their opinion on a product. If a publisher makes a reviewer feel this way it can be easily seen as them trying to control the narrative on the product, which is unacceptable.

Furthermore, the fact that lead figures who worked on the game from writers to voice actors are openly attacking journalists with a negative opinion on Naughty Dog as a studio (treatment of staff) or the game is alarmingly. It's an attempt to control the narrative and discredit criticism. It's flat out wrong and frankly come across as arrogant. What's more alarming is they have other figure heads from within the industry jumping to their defence, which is most probably because they themselves are equally as guilty of what Naughty Dog are being criticized for.

Last edited by Linoshi Croft; 02-07-20 at 20:38.
Linoshi Croft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-20, 20:57   #684
SnatchingEdges

I'm not referring to any of that. It's nothing new.

I'm speficially talking about this 'they are not allowed to speak about the 2nd part of the game'. Well, of course?? Why would they speak on that 1 week before the games gets released??? It's a spoiler. Reviews don't contain spoilers, I repeat. That's why post-analysis exist.
SnatchingEdges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-20, 21:10   #685
Linoshi Croft

Quote:

I'm speficially talking about this 'they are not allowed to speak about the 2nd part of the game'. Well, of course?? Why would they speak on that 1 week before the games gets released??? It's a spoiler. Reviews don't contain spoilers, I repeat. That's why post-analysis exist.
All of what I said still stands. Especially, considering the fact professional reviewers were the ones who took issue with the embargo and didn't agree with it. To review games is there jobs. They know what a standard embargo entails. So, for them to be the ones to highlight the fact that Sony's embargo for The Last of Us Part II was unlike other embargos and restricted them greatly speaks volumes.

Last edited by Linoshi Croft; 02-07-20 at 21:16.
Old 02-07-20, 21:10   #686
Samz

Quote:

Weren't they banned from talking about the second half in it's entirety though?
AKA can't mention that they think the pacing gets worse. (as an example of a criticism I've seen towards the second half, which doesn't constitute as a spoiler.)
Samz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-20, 21:26   #687
Linoshi Croft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samz View Post
Weren't they banned from talking about the second half in it's entirety though?
AKA can't mention that they think the pacing gets worse. (as an example of a criticism I've seen towards the second half, which doesn't constitute as a spoiler.)
The actual full rules of the embargo have never been disclosed. However, here is some of what we know:

Quote:
While most video game embargoes contain some kind of restrictions on what you can talk about or use in video footage, this one forbids any discussion of the second half of the game and limits video footage to just three scenes.

The final 12 hours or so are completely off-limits, so the things that reviewers liked or disliked about that portion of the game can only be discussed vaguely. I understand wanting to keep spoilers out of reviews as much as possible, but this strikes me as more than a little

https://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkai.../#6736c85730a4
The funny thing is I think the embargo worked mostly against them. Considering those who praised the game highly came across as fanatics who couldn't justify why the game was supposedly a masterpiece. Then on the other side of the coin, those who ripped the game apart came across as simply hating the game for the sake of it, as again they couldn't justify the way they felt. All of this just created further friction around the release of the game.
Old 02-07-20, 21:40   #688
Gman

"Fake". Not as much as the reviews it received.
94/100. Everything is John Wick but this game is The Schindler's List of videogames - *facepalm* - game's message so deep I couldn't sleep for 2 minutes...erm days. A powerful thought provoking experience. And so on.
It's just a teen drama with bad writing and a guitar.
Take the latter off and you have SOTTR's main themes all over again
Ad hoc trailers have become the least fake thing in this industry.
Gman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-20, 11:22   #689
redfox45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gman View Post
"Fake". Not as much as the reviews it received.
94/100. Everything is John Wick but this game is The Schindler's List of videogames - *facepalm* - game's message so deep I couldn't sleep for 2 minutes...erm days. A powerful thought provoking experience. And so on.
It's just a teen drama with bad writing and a guitar.
Take the latter off and you have SOTTR's main themes all over again
Ad hoc trailers have become the least fake thing in this industry.
Please tell me someone didn't actually say something to that effect in a review
redfox45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-20, 12:11   #690
Linoshi Croft

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfox45 View Post
Please tell me someone didn't actually say something to that effect in a review
The Schindler's List comment was indeed something someone actually said. The comparison was absolutely torn apart on Twitter, which Naughty Dog staff were of course not happy with. The funny this is The Last of Us Part II is much closer to John Wick considering it's a revenge story and excessively violent.