Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider

Old 02-06-16, 23:48   #37881
anthonycraig

So... I'm actually really enjoying Sam's character. I read the newest comic and Lara had hallucinations of her whilst caught in a rapid. I'm really enjoying seeing in the comics how Lara trained for certain things, now she puts them to the real test in her adventures. Even something as simple as her obtaining the bow, she knew how to fire that as she had taken archery.

I feel like Sam brings out Lara's past, she's fun and all around seems to be stuck in that state of mind (embracing her youth while she can). Lara's always so caught up with stuff, so when Sam comes on her mind it's like it calms her. This is why I bring up the new comic scene, as she's calm yet caught in a rapid. In 2013, that ended up with her flying down a mountain from the waterfall, yet now she knew what to do because of her breath training, and even when she got her foot stuck she didn't panic and instead had that hallucination about Sam. It's not to say Lara can't think/survive anything without thinking about her, it's just one example of how everything has built up and affected her.

My issue with her really just stemmed from the whole damsel thing, but you've got to give her credit for escaping the Solarii fortress on her own, and always being there for Lara. It's funny cause Lara ultimately has to be there for her, but it feels like the opposite somehow. Lara is even naive herself, she was caught by Vladimir and was ambushed a lot. In fact all the crew members suffered some form of capture/ambush/attack, so it's been a little unfair of me to pick on Sam, lol.

I don't really agree with the whole romantic relationship, thought I'd mention it as it's heavily speculated. I'm not really down for Lara being in a relationship, it's better off for the fans to create whatever they please with it. After all, I think they want to keep that speculation going - it's no fun if it's obvious and shown in my opinion.

I hope we see more of her in the comics (that seventh issue cover is immense), but I think for the games it should really focus on the locations, and Lara always moving forward in an adventure - I prefer her to go solo. The main thing that bothers me with the reboot is the level design so I really just want them to focus on tombs, puzzles, exotic locations etc. and ditch the whole survivor gimmick.

I wouldn't mind if we had some moments after the trilogy (if they continue the games and these are more classic tomb raidery, lol) where we get to see Lara going on more adventures with Sam and others. I think it'd be less drama, the trilogy may focus on the progression of Lara (hence all the militia, her being naive with precaution, survival etc.) but if they make more games with this Lara, I'd love for her to be more grown and driven to explore for the sake of it, not because some bad guys want it. With this, you could have something like Anaya from Legend where Lara and Sam revisit archaeological sites...

Can anyone give me a bit of insight of the whole Himiko possession though? Sam's been under her influence for a while, but how did it happen? I never read those post Reboot comics. Surely destroying the vessel at the end of 2013 would have destroyed her? Or was the power that transferred already too late to prevent this?
anthonycraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-16, 00:09   #37882
Lara_Fan1

So in the comics Lara thinks of Sam and she calms down?

---

As for the game, I really disliked Sam, I hated her in fact but I replayed the game the other month and I've come to realize that Sam actually isn't that bad. It's actually Lara that makes people dislike her. Lara's constantly shouting her name, Lara is constantly running after her, it's Lara that needs and wants Sam not the other way around.

Sam is still a dull character and I hate the whole damsel in distress as you mentioned, if Sam never returns I'd be happy but my opinion on Sam has drastically changed.
Lara_Fan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-16, 00:36   #37883
Rai

I interpreted that panel differently. Lara seems temporally disoriented when she sees the vision of Sam, while she's beginning to lose oxygen. The image even distorts into something monstrous. But then she manages to free her legs just as Jonah grabs her.

No, it's not just Sam that is at fault for why she's disliked. It is because Lara is yelling for her and going after her. But then Lara wouldn't have to if Sam didn't blindly trust first Mathias and then Whitman. It wasn't even Lara who went after Sam initially, it was the others. Lara headed for Roth's location first and then she went after the others and Sam. She even went looking for Captain Jessop before finally heading off for Sam. Lara was of course going to save her best friend, but her motivation was to make sure all the crew made it off the island. And her motivation in the end was as much about stopping Mathias and Himiko as it was saving Sam. She needed to stop the ritual to avoid Himiko gaining power. Yeah that involved saving Sam, because she was part of the ritual.

Sam would have been less annoying had she not been captured twice.

Last edited by Rai; 03-06-16 at 00:44.
Rai is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-16, 00:57   #37884
anthonycraig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rai View Post
I interpreted that panel differently. Lara seems temporally disoriented when she sees the vision of Sam, while she's beginning to lose oxygen. The image even distorts into something monstrous. But then she manages to free her legs just as Jonah grabs her.
Oh, I completely forgot about that part. Lol, I guess that's what I meant though - how she's seeing Sam as she loses oxygen. I can't tell if it's doing that to Lara on purpose, or if that's Lara's own feelings of Sam's state though. I do feel in a way, it was like Lara thinking of Sam (maybe not to solely calm her down, just general memories like how she got flashbacks in her training) but then it turned into the imagery due to Lara practically dying more and more, maybe it's her fear of what she's like now as she's never saw her since she got thrown in jail. That's just my guess though.

The art in that panel is fantastic though. I might give it another read to properly interpret though. Clearly Sam has some broad influence over her either way...

Last edited by anthonycraig; 03-06-16 at 00:59.
anthonycraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-16, 01:53   #37885
Rai

Oh, no doubt Lara was thinking of Sam at the time. Maybe it did help her too in a strange way. She certainly feels guilt for what's happened to Sam. They're the best of friends, so yeah, they have an influence over each other.
Rai is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-16, 08:14   #37886
jflb

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyrostr View Post

4 years ago this day

This trailer caused much excitement. I remember when I saw it the emotion I felt .

Square Enix, please, surprise us at E3
jflb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-16, 21:31   #37887
ivaneiroX

saw that TR was second best seller on Ps3 for May
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/...top-downloads/

and still SE hates PS users, oh well.
ivaneiroX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-16, 08:10   #37888
Hyper_Crazy

It was on sale last month, and this month too... in fact I swear it's always on sale on PSN.
Hyper_Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-16, 10:34   #37889
Orionvalentine

I re-bought D.E on PSN for £7.99, having a lot of fun with it now (I stopped playing halfway through when the Rise exclusivity news dropped haha)
Orionvalentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-16, 05:04   #37890
lance6439

I recall a limited edition of Lara's green jade(?) necklace being sold along with a game(?) and artbook(??????) does anyone remember such package?
lance6439 is offline   Reply With Quote