Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Old 01-05-19, 20:05   #24461
xspacedude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robwood View Post
I immediately turn around and change clothes the moment the cut scene ends.
I always do this. I don’t even let unuratu talk lmao. I used to lose interest when I arrived in Paititi bc there was basically going to the oil pit then the cenote and even worse rescue unuratu. Now with the DLCs I get excited to do all of them. The only parts of the game I dread replaying are Croft Manor and Upper District.
xspacedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-19, 20:17   #24462
New Dwight
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorXD View Post
Me exactly.
New Dwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-19, 20:42   #24463
Athukraz

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul123456 View Post
I'm on a replay now all the DLC's are out. Does anyone just loose interest once they reach Paititi? I'm pretty sure for me it's the outfit restriction, but I just lose desire wanting to play once I see that awful blue tribal dress.
Same. Cant wait for it to be lifted. Played till there and booted up another game
Athukraz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-19, 20:47   #24464
Lyle Croft

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul123456 View Post
I'm on a replay now all the DLC's are out. Does anyone just loose interest once they reach Paititi? I'm pretty sure for me it's the outfit restriction, but I just lose desire wanting to play once I see that awful blue tribal dress.
How i felt with my first playthrough, paititi is just...there's a lot of effort which i like, but it slows the game down i feel like.
Lyle Croft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-19, 21:01   #24465
paul123456

It’s difficult because I love Paititi as a place and I’m so excited to replay the DLCs as I haven’t replayed them since they were released, but I have absolutely 0 desire to do it in any of the tribal outfits.

I just wish they’d hurry up and remove the restriction already so i can actually play as I want to.
paul123456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-19, 21:06   #24466
Patrick star

Quote:
And there are 4 main reasons I don't ever want CD to touch the franchise again:

- EM actually listened to us and made gameplay much more classic than we have gotten in a main title in years, maybe even as far as the PS1 days. They gave us the option to get rid of ugly white ledges, for less tips, etc. We've been asking these for a whole decade and CD never obliged.
ِI'll give EM major credit for the new difficulty options they came up with .

Everything else however ? I don't know . Yes more focus on tombs was added , but that was started in Rise anyway which was a major improvement over TR2013 . There is no indication that we wouldn't have gotten that focus unless CD was swapped for EM . For instance , it's the same for underwater swimming , CD re-introduced that in Rise but it was restrictive and mainly for stealth purposes , it would've obviously got expanded in the next game , with EM in the lead or not .
Actually , it's the same for many other aspects and features .

Quote:
- The artistic direction was impeccable, so I definitely don't want to go back to monochrome colour schemes and excessive use of brown, beige and grey CD used for over 10 years.
Down to individual tastes , but I'll unapologetcially state that I prefer a more grounded and believable artistic style . CD simply give each location the color scheme it has in real life , which for me means that they've simply chosen believability and immersion above over-stylization for the sake of looking "prettier" . Shadow looks ****ing stunning mind you , but there were instances were it looked more cartoonish than I would've liked . Just look at Syria and Thailand , they're Crystal-made and were still warmly and vividly colored (at least the outdoor parts of each) , CD have no objection to vivid warm colors only if they fit and I support that approach .

Quote:
So it really isn't only EM's fault for the game being buggy, they were already pushing it to the limit in CD's days so of course it would be unreliable. Let's not forget that SOTTR is much more ambitious in terms of scale and amount of things going on screen (just look at Paititi).
I actually didn't like that hubs got bigger than in Rise and Paititi's size was the final nail in its coffin . Geothermal Valley was about the biggest in terms of scale that I'd approve of .

Quote:
If Crystal deserved a second chance after the mess that was TRU, EM definitely deserve a second chance after Shadow. Not only is it fair, SOTTR was no where near the level of TRU in terms of bugs/rushed production.
On which day was CD given a second chance after Underworld ? over 30 employees being fired , studio heads changed , and the father company being sold to another business tycoon sounds like anything but "second chance" . Save for a handful of individuals , very little in common lies between LAU CD and Reboot CD .

Quote:
And c'mon let's not kid ourselves, CD didn't only get a second chance they got like 4 different ones and they never delivered a true Tomb Raider game.

It's more than clear by now that CD are not the ones who understand Lara Croft or Tomb Raider and they shouldn't produce any more games. They are a great studio sure, but they are not the right studio for TR. What CD couldn't (well, didn't want really) accomplish in a decade, EM accomplished in their first try.
The "true TR/fake TR" debate doesn't interest me anymore . Personally I think that every TR game out there is...well , a Tomb Raider game . CD produces enjoyable TR games in my book . Legend , TR2013 and Rise take up 3 spots of my top 5 TR games (1# and 2# being TR4 and TR2 respectively) . EM improved on things whose improvements already started in the game prior but the whole experience ended up being rather boring and unbalanced , and was filled with questionable decisions more than all 5 CD main TR games combined , therefore me wishing for the developer whose games I liked more to come back to the leading position must seem like a no-brainer , and I don't get why this was reacted to like I said Trump is a decent human being or something .

Opinions about video games are Subjective.

Last edited by Patrick star; 01-05-19 at 21:08.
Patrick star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-19, 21:32   #24467
VictorXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick star View Post
ِI'll give EM major credit for the new difficulty options they came up with .

Everything else however ? I don't know . Yes more focus on tombs was added , but that was started in Rise anyway which was a major improvement over TR2013 . There is no indication that we wouldn't have gotten that focus unless CD was swapped for EM . For instance , it's the same for underwater swimming , CD re-introduced that in Rise but it was restrictive and mainly for stealth purposes , it would've obviously got expanded in the next game , with EM in the lead or not .
Actually , it's the same for many other aspects and features .
Indeed, tombs would probably have gotten bigger focus, but they never shouldn't have been the focus in the first place. Also, I'm sure that whatever CD came up with would still be inferior to what EM managed to create.

It's not like what we don't have a huge track record what they can or can't do. 5 games and EM surpassed all of them in the first try.

Quote:
Down to individual tastes , but I'll unapologetcially state that I prefer a more grounded and believable artistic style . CD simply give each location the color scheme it has in real life , which for me means that they've simply chosen believability and immersion above over-stylization for the sake of looking "prettier" . Shadow looks ****ing stunning mind you , but there were instances were it looked more cartoonish than I would've liked . Just look at Syria and Thailand , they're Crystal-made and were still warmly and vividly colored (at least the outdoor parts of each) , CD have no objection to vivid warm colors only if they fit and I support that approach .
I'd agree with you but real life really isn't as uncolourful as it is in CD's TR games. Just search photos of Bolivia or Egypt and compare them to their game counterparts, the difference is very noticeable. Even plants aren't as green in game as they are in real life.

I like realistic colours too but CD still went above and beyond to suck the colour out of things. This is something I really started noticing over the last few years when going to woods, visiting beaches etc. Why was real life much more colourful than a videogame that tries to imitate it?
Quote:
I actually didn't like that hubs got bigger than in Rise and Paititi's size was the final nail in its coffin . Geothermal Valley was about the biggest in terms of scale that I'd approve of .
That wasn't my point though, my point is that the engine was already faulting because it was pushed to its very limits. Liking or not the amount of open space is subjective and again, not the point I was making.
Quote:
On which day was CD given a second chance after Underworld ? over 30 employees being fired , studio heads changed , and the father company being sold to another business tycoon sounds like anything but "second chance" . Save for a handful of individuals , very little in common lies between LAU CD and Reboot CD .
Yet the same old problems persisted. Daddy issues, white ledges, linear gameplay, lack of exploration, etc.

Doesn't matter if people got fired, the studio was the same and so was their mistakes.

Quote:
The "true TR/fake TR" debate doesn't interest me anymore . Personally I think that every TR game out there is...well , a Tomb Raider game . CD produces enjoyable TR games in my book . Legend , TR2013 and Rise take up 3 spots of my top 5 TR games (1# and 2# being TR4 and TR2 respectively) . EM improved on things whose improvements already started in the game prior but the whole experience ended up being rather boring and unbalanced , and was filled with questionable decisions more than all 5 CD main TR games combined , therefore me wishing for the developer whose games I liked more to come back to the leading position must seem like a no-brainer , and I don't get why this was reacted to like I said Trump is a decent human being or something .

Opinions about video games are Subjective.
Because it was mostly a joke on my part, not a serious reaction.

I, as many other members here have certain expectations when it comes to TR, as any fan from any franchise has and it's ok. CD have always failed to meet said expectations in one way or another and balance was always off and the amount of how much a game changes following its predecessor 4 times over exemplifies this. People got tired of having to ask the same old stuff time and time again. Every trilogy is inconsistent and like they are made by 3 different studios.

It's perfectly possible to enjoy their TR games and I do as well, but their track record have shown multiple times that they are constantly contradicting themselves both gameplay and story wise, have no clear direction on their trilogies and they simply aren't the right studio for Lara.
VictorXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-19, 21:54   #24468
Lyle Croft

Y'all clearly haven't seen colourful scenery on a good day. Just the other day i realized how vivid the sky was and how colourful the tulips are.
Lyle Croft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-19, 22:03   #24469
norabrave

The scar that Lara has on her face, is it because of the solari (First kill) hit her? Playing today I realized after this scene she had a huge cut on her face. I did not remember that and only in SOTTR that I was able to see the scar more clearly. Hahaha
norabrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-19, 22:04   #24470
Patrick star

Quote:
Indeed, tombs would probably have gotten bigger focus, but they never shouldn't have been the focus in the first place. Also, I'm sure that whatever CD came up with would still be inferior to what EM managed to create.

It's not like what we don't have a huge track record what they can or can't do. 5 games and EM surpassed all of them in the first try.
Well , personally I think the best post-Core TR game in terms of puzzles and tombs is GoL which so happens to be a CD game so...

And if you'd want to dismiss that as a non-main TR game then you have Underworld which was set entirely in tombs , had 100% isolation (no sidekicks or headset banter) , barely had any human enemies in exchange for more animal and mystic creatures encounters etc . Well sounds a lot like Shadow in terms of listening to fans if you ask me (save for the isolation bit)

Plus , I don't think Shadow's tombs or puzzles are that better than Rise's . Shadow's best bit for me is the Cenote and I freaking loved it , but I'd still pick everything surrounding the Flooded Archives (the way to it starting from the village and the archives themselves) over cenote anyway . And the puzzles got more steps and slightly more difficult but were still absolutely nowhere near the likes of TR4 or Anniversary or even GoL .

Quote:
I'd agree with you but real life really isn't as uncolourful as it is in CD's TR games. Just search photos of Bolivia or Egypt and compare them to their game counterparts, the difference is very noticeable. Even plants aren't as green in game as they are in real life.

I like realistic colours too but CD still went above and beyond to suck the colour out of things. This is something I really started noticing over the last few years when going to woods, visiting beaches etc. Why was real life much more colourful than a videogame that tries to imitate it?
Oh I was speaking more towards Reboot CD than LAU CD in that regard , I've been pretty vocal about my dislike for the color scheme of Anniversary's Egypt .
What I want to say : you can't expect a run-down Soviet installation to have those bright colors , or an arid valley that's meant to convey harsh and futile conditions surrounded by a frozen wasteland to look like a vivid amazonian rainforest . That's the point I was trying to make .

It's like what Core did when they colored the sewers of Paris or the warehouses of the Strahov with the same shades of browns , greys and beiges that you've talked about .

Quote:
That wasn't my point though, my point is that the engine was already faulting because it was pushed to its very limits. Liking or not the amount of open space is subjective and again, not the point I was making.
Fair enough .

Quote:
Yet the same old problems persisted. Daddy issues, white ledges, linear gameplay, lack of exploration, etc.

I disagree . Family and ledges aside , there were noticeable improvements between each game imo , and LAU is very noticeably different from the reboot .

Quote:
It's perfectly possible to enjoy their TR games and I do as well, but their track record have shown multiple times that they are constantly contradicting themselves both gameplay and story wise, have no clear direction on their trilogies and they simply aren't the right studio for Lara.
A personal opinion of yours , which I respect and disagree with at the same time .
Let me also make myself clear that CD is anything but an immaculate pitch-perfect developer , yes they have their shortcomings , yes they clearly lack confidence and direction in their vision (completely changing the ending of TR2013 just because a few people felt like they were "losing" ? wtf) , but if I am to weigh the good and the bad , CD have more good and less bad than EM , maybe I'm being harsh but it takes one huge disappointment from a studio to turn me off it for some time , I may like some CD TR games more than other CD TR games but so far they haven't produced a game that left me as severely disappointed as Shadow did , maybe Underworld got close but like I said CD got their come comeuppance after it and it's done , and be certain that IF CD led the next game and was as much of a disappointment to me as Shadow I'd be alongside you screaming from the rooftops for a new developer .

Last edited by Patrick star; 01-05-19 at 22:10.
Patrick star is offline   Reply With Quote