www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Franchise > Tomb Raider 25

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 21-11-21, 11:44   #331
biscuits
Relic Hunter
 
biscuits's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 5,508
Default

Didn't Camilla win the BVTA's people choice awards tho? Plenty of people enjoyed her performance, including me.

But a less divisive VA is also the better option I guess.

Last edited by biscuits; 21-11-21 at 11:45.
biscuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-21, 12:21   #332
Valentino
Archaeologist
 
Valentino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,464
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portugalraider View Post
I have seen. Her name was Keeley Hawes and she was too soft-spoken, too posh, and too emotional to be Lara Croft, to the point she was ruining Lara Croft if we'd go by some comments during the LAU era.

And I remember someone saying the change to Jonell was also apparently terrible back in the day...
Absolutely not hahaha Keeley definitely had a small group of dislikes but throughout her entire consistent run as Lara she’s always seen as a fan and non fan favourite. Can’t see how Keeley would be getting criticised for sounding too posh in contrast to Judith Gibbins. I don’t even think opinions will change as time goes on and we look back at Camilla's portrayal because 2013 was nearly 10 years ago and everytime I go back and think I’ll tolerate the writing and voice acting in that game, I kid myself. it’s just pissin tedious. There’s no redeeming gleams. Camilla criticism is constant and is just another layer of flaws to add to the questionable personality this Lara has. So always thinking it’s the directions fault? 3 games guys. 3 games. With different directors, no? You just gonna wait it out till she’s nailed it?

Last edited by Valentino; 21-11-21 at 12:23.
Valentino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-21, 12:31   #333
biscuits
Relic Hunter
 
biscuits's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 5,508
Default

I love TR13. Tis a wonderful game. My second favorite of all time in fact
biscuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-21, 12:47   #334
Portugalraider
Relic Hunter
 
Portugalraider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 6,808
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valentino View Post
Absolutely not hahaha Keeley definitely had a small group of dislikes but throughout her entire consistent run as Lara sheís always seen as a fan and non fan favourite. Canít see how Keeley would be getting criticised for sounding too posh in contrast to Judith Gibbins. I donít even think opinions will change as time goes on and we look back at Camilla's portrayal because 2013 was nearly 10 years ago and everytime I go back and think Iíll tolerate the writing and voice acting in that game, I kid myself. itís just pissin tedious. Thereís no redeeming gleams. Camilla criticism is constant and is just another layer of flaws to add to the questionable personality this Lara has. So always thinking itís the directions fault? 3 games guys. 3 games. With different directors, no? You just gonna wait it out till sheís nailed it?
No, this absolutely not. It wasn't a small group of dislikes, the debates of whether she was good or not was as constant as the ones about Camilla in here. And people would get bullied and harrassed for liking Keeley, or LAU in general. Believe me, I was.

And your individual preferences aside, there has actually been a warm up to at least TR2013 in here already, including Camilla's performance. Seen many classic-only fans saying how she and Lara actually had some good sass in her and was an actual good take on a young inexperienced Lara.

And for someone who's even criticized outside of the fanbase, Camilla sure has won People Choice Awards for her portrayal of Lara Croft.

Not saying you have to like her portrayal, but lets get real as well: it wasn't that badly received overall. Not worse than previous VO have been anyways. And hell, I could as easily argue that it has overall actually been better received than any previous portrayal.

That also being said, I also wouldn't mind a new VO, but not because I don't like Camilla (I do to the point I find her work on SotTR excellent), but because I see Lara Croft as a sort of James Bond role: new era = new actor. Camilla is Survivor Lara Croft, but Unified Lara Croft should bring a different VA to better distinguish the new era coming.
__________________
Say no to NFTs in, like, anything!
Portugalraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-21, 12:59   #335
Jamise_Croft
Archaeologist
 
Jamise_Croft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: The Guetto
Posts: 1,606
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portugalraider View Post
No, this absolutely not. It wasn't a small group of dislikes, the debates of whether she was good or not was as constant as the ones about Camilla in here. And people would get bullied and harrassed for liking Keeley, or LAU in general. Believe me, I was.

And your individual preferences aside, there has actually been a warm up to at least TR2013 in here already, including Camilla's performance. Seen many classic-only fans saying how she and Lara actually had some good sass in her and was an actual good take on a young inexperienced Lara.

And for someone who's even criticized outside of the fanbase, Camilla sure has won People Choice Awards for her portrayal of Lara Croft.

Not saying you have to like her portrayal, but lets get real as well: it wasn't that badly received overall. Not worse than previous VO have been anyways. And hell, I could as easily argue that it has overall actually been better received than any previous portrayal.

That also being said, I also wouldn't mind a new VO, but not because I don't like Camilla (I do to the point I find her work on SotTR excellent), but because I see Lara Croft as a sort of James Bond role: new era = new actor. Camilla is Survivor Lara Croft, but Unified Lara Croft should bring a different VA to better distinguish the new era coming.
Completely agree with this and I think the same, as much I love Camilla a new era is coming so we should get a new VA
__________________
♡Lara is lesbian stay mad♡
Jamise_Croft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-21, 14:46   #336
JsotoTRSaga
Relic Hunter
 
JsotoTRSaga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: In Your Heart
Posts: 7,854
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portugalraider View Post
I have seen. Her name was Keeley Hawes and she was too soft-spoken, too posh, and too emotional to be Lara Croft, to the point she was ruining Lara Croft if we'd go by some comments during the LAU era.

And I remember someone saying the change to Jonell was also apparently terrible back in the day...
Unfortunately it did happen but it wasn't as aggressive as it is now. The criticism I mean (I know it was still quite aggressive though judging by the archives but nowhere near today's criticism for Camilla which seems more widespread) however I actually didn't have much of a problem with her performance except for the fact that she had boring lines most of the time either that or she was mispronouncing her british accent which imo shouldn't happen to Lara Croft. She must not sound even a tiny bit american as she is british... even Angelina Jolie sounded more british (and we all know she's american) so what happened? Was it direction? Maybe. But I don't think so. I enjoyed Camilla's work but I think it's time for an even more posh or british sounding woman, a mature woman like Keeley or Jonell to be more precise or even Hayley Atwell.

I distinctly remember that in 2001 or 2002 when I had already been used to TR1-TR3 Lara's voice and had seen the first movie I finally found a copy of TRIV and asked my mother (or was it my dad? Can't remember) to buy it for me as graduation gift at K.B. toys. When I booted up the game on the PS1 and reached Tomb of Seth and actually heard Lara's voice I felt a bit confused bc she sounded younger than I thought she was if that makes sense since Shelley and Judith's Lara sounds much more mature. Angelina also. I couldn't say I was complaining or felt disappointed but it felt odd to me even back then when I was merely a child. When I had the chance to play Legend in 2006 I wasn't annoyed by the change in her voice, in fact I loved it and had no complains about it. I think it's just a matter of perception. I missed Jonell of course, which is why some people criticized Keeley, they were comparing her performance to Jonell's performance and wanted the former to be back. Jonell and Keeley to me are the peak Lara voice.
__________________
Lara Croft is resting, preparing for her return

Last edited by JsotoTRSaga; 21-11-21 at 15:16.
JsotoTRSaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-21, 14:57   #337
Mikky
Legend
 
Mikky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Yamatai Island Gender: Prince
Posts: 36,939
Default

I've been away for 5 minutes and I was just wondering if there has been any updates on when the reimagined cover for Rise will be released
Mikky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-21, 15:14   #338
Raxel
Student
 
Raxel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 133
Default

Nah, we're still at a generic "later this month". So, I assume that means sometime over the coming week. There isn't much more left of this month after all.
__________________
"That's not any script that I know."
Raxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-21, 15:26   #339
_Seth
Professor
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: England
Posts: 3,026
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuits View Post
Didn't Camilla win the BVTA's people choice awards tho?
For best waitress, perhaps.
_Seth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-21, 15:31   #340
Portugalraider
Relic Hunter
 
Portugalraider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 6,808
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Seth View Post
For best waitress, perhaps.
For best performance in a videogame for her work as Lara Croft in Shadow of the Tomb Raider, actually...
__________________
Say no to NFTs in, like, anything!
Portugalraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT. The time now is 07:37.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.