Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider

Old 18-06-20, 07:25   #81
ANoDE
Golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woops View Post
(sorry for the bump, this took a while due to issues with YouTube)
The TASVideos publication is out!
Very nice - thanks!

I do have one more question, though - if you may. I was wondering - since those TAS runs are basically pre-recorded inputs that are replayed, how can you guarantee, that the game's RNG doesn't interfere? Is it seeded with a fixed value, or do you just have to trust and hope that it works. I assume some enemy behaviour is based on randomness, right? So if the enemy could attack from the left or from the right - wouldn't it be possible to push Lara off her course, rendering the rest of the input sequence useless?
ANoDE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-20, 08:38   #82
Woops

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANoDE View Post
Very nice - thanks!

I do have one more question, though - if you may. I was wondering - since those TAS runs are basically pre-recorded inputs that are replayed, how can you guarantee, that the game's RNG doesn't interfere? Is it seeded with a fixed value, or do you just have to trust and hope that it works. I assume some enemy behaviour is based on randomness, right? So if the enemy could attack from the left or from the right - wouldn't it be possible to push Lara off her course, rendering the rest of the input sequence useless?
I'm fairly sure this is more handled on the emulator side but in theory, playing the game with the exact same input will always give the same results. The initial seed the game sets is always the same (since movie input is recorded even during the psx boot screen). Think of it like the title demos in tr123- always the same input from "the same" seed (except the seed for me is random only the time I'm making the movie. Always the same one I got when replaying the move) and the same input = the same result! The game being played in front of you. You can even make the TR2 demos desync on PC with the weapon hotkeys. Try it

I hope I actually answered your question
Woops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-20, 08:46   #83
ANoDE
Golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woops View Post
I'm fairly sure this is more handled on the emulator side but in theory, playing the game with the exact same input will always give the same results. The initial seed the game sets is always the same (since movie input is recorded even during the psx boot screen). Think of it like the title demos in tr123- always the same input from "the same" seed (except the seed for me is random only the time I'm making the movie. Always the same one I got when replaying the move) and the same input = the same result! The game being played in front of you. You can even make the TR2 demos desync on PC with the weapon hotkeys. Try it

I hope I actually answered your question
Ah, ok. So the RNG in the emulator is deterministic, as it is seeded with a reproducible value (perhaps the number of seconds since the last boot or something). Makes sense. Thanks.

Oh, nice - I'm gonna try this out. I'm on a TR2 playthrough at the moment anyways.
EDIT: Ahaha, that is great fun! Facing all them baddies without weapons isn't to much fun for poor Lara, though.

Last edited by ANoDE; 19-06-20 at 08:54.
ANoDE is online now   Reply With Quote