Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Franchise > Future of Tomb Raider

Old 24-09-21, 12:53   #9091
Evan C.

I really, really, REALLY hope Crystal can do things right with they development of Perfect Dark, because Tomb Raider was a comercial success and they definitely -despite controversia- relived a saga that was almost dead. So it makes sense to have a collaboration to recreate such an iconic IP, something they have experience with.
Having said that, what Square Enix probably decided to do with Avengers and game as a service just didn't paid, and the game was a commercial flop. I haven't played it, but everyone agrees that the game would have been fantastic if the take was the same Eidos Montreal is going with Guardians of the Galaxy.

Also, I wonder what stages of development they are with Tomb Raider. When it comes to such a powerful IP, and being their baby now more than anybody else, unifying the whole universe is going to be even harder that reeboting the franchise. I would DIE to have a sneak peak inside their office to see what's going on. Truly, as a fan, I am super excited.
This mean that the preproduction of the game is going to be longer we are used to. I remember when Reboot was presented, the promotion campaing was the longest ever due to the fact they wanted to make people know it was a whole new Lara Croft and Tomb Raider, ergo, the "forget everything you know" that created such controversy.
Now, they have to create something that not only follow up their last 3 games (or more so, to build upon that) but also to incorporate previous elements they ditched, keeping a structure within the universe both from movie and the anime, wich I am pretty sure is going to be the first hint we are going to get about how this new universe is going to be.

So, exciting times my friends, I am 32 years old and I feel like 7 again. But we will have to learn to wait, since I am pretty sure the game won't be a thing until late 2022/ 2023 (but that's just me!)

Can't wait to write my speculations again as soon as I can.
Evan C. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-21, 12:55   #9092
JuditePrince12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atim View Post
Maybe Microsoft will buy crystal dynamics
This would be such a terrible idea. If TR becomes a Microsoft exclusive, then they'll have another Avengers situation on their hands. Did they forget about the Rise exclusive?
JuditePrince12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-21, 13:01   #9093
SSfox

Very disappointed on CD, they don't give us Classics and LAU remasters but this have time for this BS nonsens. Shows how much they care about TR franchise and fans.
SSfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-21, 13:31   #9094
Vaskito

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan C. View Post
Having said that, what Square Enix probably decided to do with Avengers and game as a service just didn't paid, and the game was a commercial flop.
The game was not a commercial flop. SE stated revenue in HD games thanks to Avengers and FF, and the game has a roadmap presented for the remaining of 2021, and it has also been officially confirmed there's a planned roadmap to the entire 2022 with new heroes, and stuff. War for Wakanda was a success launch for the game as well. A commercial failure would not span out new content for 2 years

Last edited by Vaskito; 24-09-21 at 13:32.
Vaskito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-21, 14:40   #9095
jeffrey van oort

Quote:
Originally Posted by LNSNHGTDS View Post
All Tomb Raider games take place in the year they were released in, except Chronicles and Anniversary, obviously.

In Rise you can read the date on one of the newspapers while Lara is doing research in London I think that has a date with 2015 in it and in Shadow on one of the tombstones during Lara's nightmare has 2018 written on it.

It doesn't help that they kept saying the games take place a fe months apart every single time they were doing interviews to promote them lol.
Tomb Raider Chronicles takes place in the year she was released too. Except the stories which were shared together by her friends, are flashbacks. Also these stories could be complete works of fiction which is why she could teleport and Larson and Pierre die, again. It is just how they've told her stories. <3
jeffrey van oort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-21, 15:10   #9096
lance6439

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan C. View Post
Having said that, what Square Enix probably decided to do with Avengers and game as a service just didn't paid, and the game was a commercial flop.
I agree. The Avengers definitely was a commercial flop. Sure hope that $68 million dollar loss doesn't effect TR in any capacity.
lance6439 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-21, 15:43   #9097
charmedangelin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaskito View Post
The game was not a commercial flop. SE stated revenue in HD games thanks to Avengers and FF, and the game has a roadmap presented for the remaining of 2021, and it has also been officially confirmed there's a planned roadmap to the entire 2022 with new heroes, and stuff. War for Wakanda was a success launch for the game as well. A commercial failure would not span out new content for 2 years
Square Enix is contracted to produce that content. The game lost SE $68 million, there is no way the game is anything but a commercial failure. However they are obligated to continue pushing out content due to contractual agreements that would likely end up costing them more to drop then if they continued to see the original agreement through.
charmedangelin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-21, 16:01   #9098
Vaskito

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmedangelin View Post
Square Enix is contracted to produce that content. The game lost SE $68 million, there is no way the game is anything but a commercial failure. However they are obligated to continue pushing out content due to contractual agreements that would likely end up costing them more to drop then if they continued to see the original agreement through.
The 68 Million loss last year, was not only because of Avengers. FF dev costs were amortized in the month of release of Avengers. Also, the game was released in the last month of the quarter. Avengers was, at some point, one of the top selling games of 2020. And no contracts obligations were necessary beyond the release of Spider Man which will happen in November or so.

Also, SE cannot lie in financial reports. And the fact that the game has 2022 officially confirmed with content means the game is returning profit. No company operates at loss.

Last edited by Vaskito; 24-09-21 at 16:03.
Old 24-09-21, 16:08   #9099
charmedangelin

How can the game be turning profit without any active players?
charmedangelin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-21, 16:10   #9100
Vaskito

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmedangelin View Post
How can the game be turning profit without any active players?
The game has active players. Steam/PC is not the only place where the playerbase is. PC is the platform with the least players. The biggest bulk is in PS4 and 5.

Also, it’s a GaaS game, and the release of the MCU outfits have been very successful and obviously contribute to the game’s financial health

Last edited by Vaskito; 24-09-21 at 16:12.