www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > General Chat

Old Today, 09:54   #22941
Zebra
Legend

Some people have also said that backwards compatability (especially with older platforms liek PS2 and PS1) simply isn't too big a factor for most console buyers. Shiny new graphics tend to sell consoles (and I guess it helps if you can play current-gen games on it because that means people can sell their current-gen console and put the money towards a next-gen console), not the ability to play PS1 games. I don't know that there are any actual numbers on this (that are publically available) but it would make sense to me if most casual gamers didn't really care about being able to play retro games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasy View Post
My twenty year old CD player can read the TR I disc... why can’t a PS4?
I mean, the disc drive can read the disc, I'm pretty sure. The console just can't play it.
Old Today, 10:42   #22942
Trenton
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebra View Post
I mean, the disc drive can read the disc, I'm pretty sure. The console just can't play it.
Yeah, but thatís whatís so confusing to me. If it can physically read the data with ease then surely it should be able to use those data to play the game? Same way we (and PS3) already do it through emulation?
Old Today, 10:44   #22943
DVDSpike
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trenton View Post
Yeah, but that’s what’s so confusing to me. If it can physically read the data with ease then surely it should be able to use those data to play the game? Same way we (and PS3) already do it through emulation?
You can read and emulate ps1 games?

Superhuman.
Old Today, 10:46   #22944
_Seth
Archaeologist

The PS4 doesn't actually have a laser that supports CDs, only DVDs and Blu-rays. The main issue is the unreliability of software emulation. They also don't want to shell out for retro hardware inside a new console, so the third option is digital games one-by-one that are tested, and that is where licensing problems come in.

basically, Sony are lazy ****s who don't care about preserving their legacy platforms by actually attempting to develop competent software emulation.
Old Today, 10:58   #22945
Trenton
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVDSpike View Post

Superhuman.
If I concentrate hard enough I can even emulate N64 games and some of the early Gamecube ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Seth View Post
The PS4 doesn't actually have a laser that supports CDs, only DVDs and Blu-rays. The main issue is the unreliability of software emulation. They also don't want to shell out for retro hardware inside a new console, so the third option is digital games one-by-one that are tested, and that is where licensing problems come in.

basically, Sony are lazy ****s who don't care about preserving their legacy platforms by actually attempting to develop competent software emulation.
Good point about the laser. Didnít know that. Thatís cheap of them. And. Why include DVD if not CD, when Blu-ray is really the only thing needed to play physical games?
CD drive aside, would a powerful console like PS5 really need any retro hardware inside though? I mean if only they could read the data then couldnít they tecnically run the games through emulation?
Old Today, 10:58   #22946
Portugalraider
Relic Hunter

Quote:

Superhuman.
You don't?

Old Today, 11:01   #22947
DVDSpike
Professor

Quote:
If I concentrate hard enough I can even emulate N64 games and some of the early Gamecube ones.

Good point about the laser. Didnít know that. Thatís cheap of them. And. Why include DVD if not CD, when Blu-ray is really the only thing needed to play physical games?
CD drive aside, would a powerful console like PS5 really need any retro hardware inside though? I mean if only they could read the data then couldnít they tecnically run the games through emulation?
You can use your PS4 to watch movies.
Old Today, 11:02   #22948
_Seth
Archaeologist

Quote:
Idk if DVD support is something that automatically comes with a Blu-ray laser, but perhaps they wanted to retain DVD film support.

The PS5 would undoubtedly be powerful enough to do PS2 emulation. They just don't give a **** to do so (competently enough to release on the PS5).
Old Today, 11:37   #22949
Trenton
Tomb Raider

Quote:
You can use your PS4 to watch movies.
Yeah, but this is PS5. And if they feel CDs are too outdated to include CD reading capability in PS5 then I’d assume DVDs are also too outdated? I mean the PS5 can play both 4K blu-rays and regular blu-rays so you can still watch movies on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Seth View Post
Idk if DVD support is something that automatically comes with a Blu-ray laser, but perhaps they wanted to retain DVD film support.

The PS5 would undoubtedly be powerful enough to do PS2 emulation. They just don't give a **** to do so (competently enough to release on the PS5).
I could be wrong about this, but I think Blu-rays use a separate blue laser and that DVDs use a different one (I actually thought CD support automatically came with the DVD laser ). And that’s why all Blu-ray players have two lasers in order to have that backwards compatibility with DVD. Can’t guarantee this is 100% correct though so don’t take my word for it.

Yeah I suspect Sony really could pull this off if the put any effort into it, but I suspect they don’t care enough or perhaps don’t even want to. perhaps the idea of people rebuying old games digitally through PSN is more appealing to them - or subscribing to their game streaming service in order to play those games or something. IDK.
Old Today, 13:31   #22950
BlueCake
Student

Quote:
And where do i insert the disc/cartridge?
BlueCake is offline   Reply With Quote