Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > Video Games

Old 24-06-23, 14:15   #1
DragonSlayer

Default Starfield is a walking simulator

For anyone that is thinking of getting Starfield you might want to reconsider.

You will have to walk everywhere because there will be no ground vehicles or mounts and only 10% of planets will have life on them.
https://metro.co.uk/2023/06/22/starf...ore_text_links

Starfield on PS5 would have delayed the game says Bethesda
https://metro.co.uk/2023/06/23/starf...ore_text_links

The failure of Starfield will be the end of Xbox
https://metro.co.uk/2023/06/24/the-f...ore_text_links

I dislike walking simulators the most boring walking simulator I played was Everyone's Gone To The Rapture and the walking speed in that game was set to literally snail's pace.
DragonSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-23, 07:20   #2
Princess Pixel
Inactive

Hey there, DragonSlayer! I totally get where you're coming from, but let me give you a different perspective on Starfield! 🌌✨

While it's true that Starfield won't have ground vehicles or mounts, that doesn't automatically make it a walking simulator, LOL! In fact, exploring vast planets on foot can be pretty thrilling and immersive. It's like being a space pioneer, discovering new worlds step by step! 🚶*♀️🌍

Sure, not every planet will be teeming with life, but that's part of the mystery and excitement, right? 👽 Imagine stumbling upon a hidden alien civilization or uncovering long-lost secrets on one of those less inhabited planets! It could be an adventure of a lifetime! 🌟💫

As for the doom and gloom about the failure of Starfield being the end of Xbox, well, let's not jump to conclusions, shall we? Bethesda and Xbox have a strong partnership, and they've brought us incredible games before. I'm sure they'll continue to thrive and bring us even more fantastic adventures in the future! 🙌💚

So, before dismissing Starfield as just another walking simulator, give it a chance! Who knows, you might discover a whole universe of excitement and wonder, all waiting to be explored! 🌌🌠✨ Keep an open mind and embrace the adventure, my friend! 🚀
Princess Pixel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-23, 10:22   #3
DragonSlayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Pixel View Post
Hey there, DragonSlayer! I totally get where you're coming from, but let me give you a different perspective on Starfield! 🌌✨

While it's true that Starfield won't have ground vehicles or mounts, that doesn't automatically make it a walking simulator, LOL! In fact, exploring vast planets on foot can be pretty thrilling and immersive. It's like being a space pioneer, discovering new worlds step by step! 🚶*♀️🌍

Sure, not every planet will be teeming with life, but that's part of the mystery and excitement, right? 👽 Imagine stumbling upon a hidden alien civilization or uncovering long-lost secrets on one of those less inhabited planets! It could be an adventure of a lifetime! 🌟💫

As for the doom and gloom about the failure of Starfield being the end of Xbox, well, let's not jump to conclusions, shall we? Bethesda and Xbox have a strong partnership, and they've brought us incredible games before. I'm sure they'll continue to thrive and bring us even more fantastic adventures in the future! 🙌💚

So, before dismissing Starfield as just another walking simulator, give it a chance! Who knows, you might discover a whole universe of excitement and wonder, all waiting to be explored! 🌌🌠✨ Keep an open mind and embrace the adventure, my friend! 🚀
Thanks for sharing your perspective I won't be playing Starfield only because I don't have an Xbox and won't be buying one just to play one game plus I recently bought a PS5 so couldn't afford an Xbox even if I wanted one plus I've always had a PlayStation going back to the PS1.

There was never much of interest for me on Xbox, Gears of War and Halo never appealed to me now that Gears of War came to an end years ago and Halo isn't as popular as it used to be that IMO leaves Forza Motorsport as the last remaining Xbox exclusive game to carry an entire console.

Alan Wake eventually came to PlayStation which is one less reason to buy an Xbox, hopefully Alan Wake will be better than Shenmue, I tried Shenmue when it finally arrived on PlayStation I couldn't see what the fuss was about it felt so outdated for example having to dial a rotary phone and having to read a clock that wasn't digital I couldn't read that clock so I kept having to enter various buildings to get the time to appear in digital format plus I had to wait several long in game hours for somewhere to open to continue with the story, terrible voice acting that made it sound like the actors had shouted their lines when recording their lines and unnecessarily frustrating stealth sequences.

Also it seems that Starfield will be digital only though there is confusion about that with Bethesda saying that one edition will have a disc and the other won't have a disc
https://metro.co.uk/2023/06/26/starf...=mosaic_gaming

Collectors editions should come with a disc it's crazy to charge 250 or more for a collector's edition and not include a disc, the Horizon Forbidden West collectors edition had a digital only copy in the box, that's not what put me off getting the Horizon Forbidden West collectors edition although it would have played a part in me not getting it there was a model of one of the machines from the game in the box which needed to be assembled which put me off as I don't have the patience required for assembling things.

Starfield seems barren in comparison to other open world games like No Man's Sky, and Horizon Zero Dawn and Horizon Forbidden West.

The only barren open world game I've played is MGS5 Phantom Pain, the vast distances to travel between locations are almost completely lifeless, there were a few occasions where I would come across 2 enemy soldiers walking around, on other occasions an enemy vehicle driving around and if it wasn't either enemy soldiers or an enemy vehicle I'd occasionally encounter an animal.

I eventually stopped traveling between locations on foot and used the helicopter to fast travel to wherever I wanted to go.
Old 26-06-23, 11:57   #4
killchan

The game won't have mounts because you won't need one, most likely.
killchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-23, 12:09   #5
Elmer

I don't have an Xbox either, and it doesn't look like the sort of game that I would enjoy, but I hope Starfield will be a stellar game anyway. And there is enough reason to be hopeful too. Even if it isn't great at release, it can become great after, like No Man's Sky reportedly has. Gamespot did a video about this phenomenon yesterday, and they gave No Man's Sky and Cyberpunk 2077 as examples of what they called a "redemption arc." At first they were broken or uninteresting, but since then these games have become thoroughly enjoyable. I don't like that it has become quite normal to release unfinished products (and I buy physical copies whenever possible; the idea of an empty collectors edition is bizarre to me) but the upside is that we can stay hopeful, even if a game turns out bad at release.

I would be disappointed if Starfield doesn't live up to the high expectations I have seen. It would sadden a lot of people who had high hopes for it. And secondly, I believe it would be bad for the industry if Xbox were to fall away. That would leave Sony with a practical monopoly on a certain kind of triple-A game. They would lose the incentive to innovate and stand out, reducing players' choice.

By the way, I have watched a few of the summer game shows, and I found the Xbox showcase to be the most interesting. Fable looked cool, as did South of Midnight and Jusant. None of these games conformed to the image I previously had of Xbox as primarily the system for Halo and the like. And what I also liked about it, was that they emphasized single player story games.
Elmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-23, 13:03   #6
DragonSlayer

Starfield has a hefty 125GB download size on Xbone and PC
https://metro.co.uk/2023/07/04/starf...=mosaic_gaming

I wonder how big the patches will be, one game I read about I can't remember the name of the game had an update patch that was 80 or more GB.

Older gamers want to spend their retirement playing Starfield
https://metro.co.uk/2023/07/05/older...=mosaic_gaming

The comments in the link above sound made up and were probably written by chatgpt.
Old 05-07-23, 15:14   #7
Shirley_Manson

Even though I LOVE Bethesda games, I'm not interested in Starfield. Looks too No Mans Sky-ish... like something you could spend 1000 hours playing and go through countless inventory managment cycles without achieving anything meaningfull. The combat looks like its ripped straight from Fallout 4. Bleh.
Maybe I'm wrong. We'll see when the game comes out.
Shirley_Manson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-23, 13:28   #8
Tommy123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirley_Manson View Post
Even though I LOVE Bethesda games, I'm not interested in Starfield. Looks too No Mans Sky-ish... like something you could spend 1000 hours playing and go through countless inventory managment cycles without achieving anything meaningfull. The combat looks like its ripped straight from Fallout 4. Bleh.
Maybe I'm wrong. We'll see when the game comes out.
Exact reason I am not excited for this currently. I was hoping for Skyrim in space but as you mentioned this just feels like a dull No Mans Sky.
Tommy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-23, 16:56   #9
DragonSlayer

The failure of Starfield will be the end of Xbone
https://metro.co.uk/2023/06/24/the-f...ore_text_links

Maybe Xbone needs to die, when the Xbone launched it had no launch titles and nothing to get excited about.

With Gears of War having ended years ago and Halo no longer as popular as it used to be that leaves just one Xbone exclusive to carry a console Forza that's a lot of pressure for one game to carry with seemingly the success of the Xbone riding on Forza alone.

Maybe that's why Microsoft bought Bethesda and made all Bethesda games exclusive thinking that people would buy an Xbone to play the next Fallout and Elder Scrolls games, as much as I love Fallout and like Elder Scrolls I'll never buy an Xbone just to play 2 games.

That didn't work back when Microsoft paid Bethesda IIRC 80 million for time limited Fallout 3 DLC on Xbone thinking that people would dash to the nearest games store to buy an Xbone solely for the Fallout 3 DLC, nice try Microsoft but DLC alone wouldn't convince me to get an Xbone.

PlayStation always had a more varied line up of games across all genres, Xbone on the other hand relied massively on Gears of War and Halo, with both those games having bitten the dust that leaves just one game the aforementioned Forza to carry the Xbone, Alan Wake is no longer an Xbone exclusive so that doesn't count.

Microsoft also refused to have Heavy Rain on Xbone because they were concerned and uneasy about a game where a kid is abducted and left to die slowly in rain water, Xbone's loss was Sony's gain
https://www.polygon.com/2013/9/3/469...t-due-to-child

Microsoft turned down Heavy Rain because they didn't want the scandal of being associated with Heavy Rain
https://www.gamereactor.eu/microsoft...wn-heavy-rain/

Microsoft is trying to dominate the games industry by buying every developer and making it's games Xbone exclusive for that reason alone Microsoft should be stopped, no one company should be allowed total dominance of the games industry.

What can we expect from Microsoft next? Skynet and world domination.

Microsoft is taking the lazy option instead of spending lots and lots of money making several games specifically exclusive for Xbone it's buying any developer it wants and making that developers games exclusive to Xbone.

Less competition means higher prices both for Xbone games and consoles.

Microsoft are like the Borg hell bent on assimilating everything it wants simply because it wants it even though there is no reason for it other than Microsoft wanting to dominate the games industry.
Old 11-07-23, 17:07   #10
Yuna´s Wish

Why do people get so passionate defending their console of choice and attacking the other/s?

Can't we all just get along? Leave it to the companies to throw missiles at each other. That's the corporate world, that's what they have to do.

----

To stay on-topic: I don't care about Starfield. It's not my kind of game. I don't think it'll be the end of Xbox if it fails (which I find unlikely).

Last edited by Yuna´s Wish; 11-07-23 at 17:09.
Yuna´s Wish is online now   Reply With Quote