Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Franchise > Tomb Raider Comics, Books and Novels

Old 14-08-21, 20:55   #1
ELIMTBF

Default Verdict on Spore?

I heard some negative reviews coming into this one, so I expecting the comic equivalent of a trifle with beef in it. But I gotta say...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E67EqMrNpKs

Alright look it's not perfect, none of these runs have really blown my mind, and none have stayed with me after reading them, except when I think about plotholes and stuff. Still, this was one of the better ones.

Lara is starting to reach her final form, with impatient and often sarcastic one-line responses to people, and more confidence.

I also like the references to training she's done, like learning about environmental awareness from that DareDevil lady, the breath holding training (although she broke the number #1 rule of never training to hold your breath while underwater). I like this aspect of the recent movie with the MMA and flashback Daddy archery scene.

And Rai, if you read this, you said you were doing a re-read through, have you reached Spore?

Choice and Sacrifice next!
ELIMTBF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-21, 19:56   #2
Portugalraider

Personally, Spore for me was "fine".

Definitely my 2nd to least favourite arc of the reboot comics, but still an okay one, compared to "Season of the Witch" that was just awful. I just think it didn't really bring anything new to the table, but it has its moments.

Art wise is also fine, though I have to say: seeing how Phillip Sevy's art evolved from "Spore" to "Inferno" is just a delight. He went from "okay-ish" to my 2nd favourite artist that worked on Tomb Raider comics, losing only to Andy Park.
Portugalraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-21, 21:33   #3
Rai

Yeah I gave the comics another read. Spore is okay. At least it wasn't about Trinity, so it was a nice departure.
Rai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-21, 23:14   #4
biscuits

It was a fun side story but nothing special. Like Portugalraider said, reading it to see Sevy's evolution as an artist is a delight.
biscuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-21, 15:36   #5
ELIMTBF

Ah so Sevy did the fabled Inferno art, interesting. I was a bit disappointed to see he did Choice and Sacrifice also. Everything is great, the angles, the poses, and all that... but Lara's face doesn't look right to me.
Old 17-08-21, 20:07   #6
Portugalraider

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELIMTBF View Post
Ah so Sevy did the fabled Inferno art, interesting. I was a bit disappointed to see he did Choice and Sacrifice also. Everything is great, the angles, the poses, and all that... but Lara's face doesn't look right to me.
You might not like Lara's face in Inferno that much, then, it's not like he completely changed how he draws Lara. But there's almost 2 years of a time skip between his work on Choice and Sacrifice and Inferno: his inks and shading style evolved and became more confident, his characters look more consistent from panel to panel, and his page and panel structure can be very clever and interesting.

Now, I am more interested in your reaction to Survivor's Crusade, really. Great script allied with incredibly rushed art. That will be interesting
Old 18-08-21, 08:18   #7
ELIMTBF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portugalraider View Post
You might not like Lara's face in Inferno that much, then, it's not like he completely changed how he draws Lara. But there's almost 2 years of a time skip between his work on Choice and Sacrifice and Inferno: his inks and shading style evolved and became more confident, his characters look more consistent from panel to panel, and his page and panel structure can be very clever and interesting.

Now, I am more interested in your reaction to Survivor's Crusade, really. Great script allied with incredibly rushed art. That will be interesting
That is cool, I'll make sure to look back over the Spore/Choice and look at the differences.

OK can't wait to tell you how great the art is in Survivor's Crusade and how awful the story is!
Old 18-08-21, 09:51   #8
Portugalraider

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELIMTBF View Post
That is cool, I'll make sure to look back over the Spore/Choice and look at the differences.

OK can't wait to tell you how great the art is in Survivor's Crusade and how awful the story is!
Well, a big part of it is "daddy issues", again, so I wouldn't be surprised if you hated it, since we are all tired of daddy issues in Tomb Raider.

Still, probably the best "daddy issues" plot we got, though.
Old 18-08-21, 14:55   #9
ELIMTBF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portugalraider View Post
Well, a big part of it is "daddy issues", again, so I wouldn't be surprised if you hated it, since we are all tired of daddy issues in Tomb Raider.

Still, probably the best "daddy issues" plot we got, though.
Ah OK... yes I suppose we are! They get a lot of mileage out of that.
Old 18-08-21, 14:57   #10
ELIMTBF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rai View Post
At least it wasn't about Trinity, so it was a nice departure.
Are you not a fan of the Trinity storylines in general, or just feel like you wanted a break from it?