www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > General Chat

Old 08-09-19, 04:29   #41
Cat Woman
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonSlayer View Post
A school in America has banned the Harry Potter books.

Exorcists have advised a Nashville school priest to ban the Harry Potter books over fears the popular children's books could be used to summon spirits.

Reverend Dan Rehill contacted exorcists in Rome and the US,who recommended removing the books from St Edward Catholic School library in Tennessee.

The curses and spells used in the books which when read by a human being risk conjuring evil spirits into the presence of the person reading the text the reverend said in an email obtained by local media.

Obviously the spells are not real I just said Wingardium Leviosa and I don't see anything floating, I haven't tried the Avada Kedavra curse on my next door neighbor yet.

This is why I think there should be no religious influence/interference in any school anywhere in the world, if they're not banning books they are probably giving speeches about burning in hell for all eternity, meanwhile the oujia board remains available for any student that wishes to use it.
I saw this also and thought this was going a bit too far. Look how all those Harry Potter books got soooooo many children reading at the time of release(s).
Old 08-09-19, 15:33   #42
Cochrane
Gold Contributor

I was particularly surprised to hear this news now. Fifteen years ago, sure, when Harry Potter was the biggest thing in entertainment news, backlash like this was not all that uncommon. This is not the first time Harry Potter books have been banned by some catholic institution.

But nowadays? When the HP hype is largely over and the only normal reason the brand gets in the news is because JK Rowling decides to tell us what ancient wizards did after pooping? (Speaking of, that reveal was also a rather dumb thing) I guess they'll ban Twilight next, but they'll wait ten years first.
Old 08-09-19, 15:43   #43
Tomb Raidering
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cochrane View Post
When the HP hype is largely over and the only normal reason the brand gets in the news is because JK Rowling decides to tell us what ancient wizards did after pooping? (Speaking of, that reveal was also a rather dumb thing) I guess they'll ban Twilight next, but they'll wait ten years first.
What?! I never read Harry Poter, but really? Did the author of the books just ‘reveal’ that as important news? Gross...............

Well, sometimes dreams themselves can make you a multi-millionaire without you even deserving it...

Last edited by Tomb Raidering; 08-09-19 at 18:53.
Tomb Raidering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-19, 17:32   #44
DragonSlayer
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Woman View Post
I saw this also and thought this was going a bit too far. Look how all those Harry Potter books got soooooo many children reading at the time of release(s).
True people are always complaining that kids these days spend too long on their phones looking at social media or watching television and when something comes along that makes them want to read, they want it banned.

I forget where this happened a good few years ago a nine month old child was charged with murder along with other members of his family, the charges against the kid were eventually dropped.

The charges against him probably included waving a rattle at a police officer in a threatening manner or gurgling offensive language.
DragonSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-19, 18:57   #45
Cochrane
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomb Raidering View Post
What?! I never read Harry Poter, but really? Did the author of the books just ‘reveal’ that as important news? Gross...............

Well, sometimes dreams themselves can make you a multi-millionaire without you even deserving it...
I wish I was kidding, but yes: https://twitter.com/pottermore/statu...42428105998336

(Pottermore is a website where JK Rowling publishes all sorts of additional world building material in order to keep fans happy I guess.)
Old 08-09-19, 22:50   #46
Blue_light
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cochrane View Post
I wish I was kidding, but yes: https://twitter.com/pottermore/statu...42428105998336

(Pottermore is a website where JK Rowling publishes all sorts of additional world building material in order to keep fans happy I guess.)
"Vanish me poopum". I'm dead.
Old 09-09-19, 15:46   #47
Cat Woman
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomb Raidering View Post
It took a very long time and a lot of rejections for J K Rowling’s Harry Potter story to be published in the first place. There was a documentary on her beginnings and how she was trying to earn money for her child during that time. She might be a “multi-millionaire”, BUT she certainly worked very hard and deserved it.

Edit: British novelist, screenwriter, producer and philanthropist. She conceived the idea of Harry Potter series while on a delayed train. It took 7 years to get published in 1997. During that time, she lost her mother, had a child, went through a unpleasant divorce, and lived in relative poverty- living on benefits. She is the world’s first billionaire author, but has since lost that billionaire status by giving away to numerous charities. Still one the world’s wealthiest people.

Last edited by Cat Woman; 09-09-19 at 16:06. Reason: Added info on J K Rowling
Cat Woman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-19, 17:21   #48
Blue_light
Archaeologist

^I'm willing to bet they were referring to Twilight, and not HP.
Old 09-09-19, 18:22   #49
Tomb Raidering
Archaeologist

@Cat Woman
I know her story, it’s like Harland Sanders’... Thanks for sharing anyway.

I was half-joking when I said ‘deserve.’ I guess it falls in subjective matters. She indeed became successful with her ‘fantasies’ as people say... Even her spouse despised her ideas and ‘fantasies’, thinking she was crazy... A successful woman, I can’t say anything on that.

Anyway on topic:

The Tomb Raider twitter account announcing the second movie after its leakage by TRF...
Old 10-09-19, 15:04   #50
DragonSlayer
Professor

I heard it on the radio earlier that some guy in England spent 3 years and spent 30,000 pounds fighting a 100 pound parking ticket that he still had to pay.
DragonSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote