Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Level Editor and Modding > Tomb Raider Modding

Old 01-03-11, 06:55   #21
aussie500
Golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2awesome4apossum View Post
Oh, cool. So some people HAVE gotten it to work.

How do you know we wouldn't be able to get the files to work with the PC game? I know of two projects from the original X-Box era that have been modded to be compatible with their PC counterparts. Could be the engine makes it impossible, but I would assume it's possible to at least incorporate a few things.
Same engine is used for both PC and Xbox 360 games, and as you have seen instructions for the Xbox 360 are in the code. I know nothing about programming, but still I am pretty sure you cannot mod it to run on a PC. And no no one got it to work, they got the files onto the PC and extracted parts (music, textures, models), hardly the same thing as running a game.
aussie500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-11, 17:54   #22
Gh0stBlade

@2awesome4apossum
Quote:
I understand that you were editing the Underworld PC files to get those screens, but in addition I was wondering if you ALSO got the DLC to your PC and managed to somehow look at what was in the files. (Or anyone else.)

I'd love to make a mod to get it to work on the PC, but I'm such a beginner I doubt I'd be able to. Does the DLC have bigfiles too within the unknown (to Windows) files?

[EDIT] I wonder if we'd need to get stuff from the actual Underworld X-Box 360 Disc. Have no idea how to get *that* on my PC.
I haven't edited Tomb Raider Underworld's files.

Ripping the X360 files and using them within the PC version is useless.

Reasons:

- Files are in reverese endian.
- There are alot of different formats

Resolutions:

- Completely mapping the format out and writing conversion programs (possible) but injecting the files back into the bigfile.00* becomes another problem.

I can't do this of course, I'm no programmer yet.

--------

Quote:
Same engine is used for both PC and Xbox 360 games, and as you have seen instructions for the Xbox 360 are in the code. I know nothing about programming, but still I am pretty sure you cannot mod it to run on a PC. And no no one got it to work, they got the files onto the PC and extracted parts (music, textures, models), hardly the same thing as running a game.
It's absolutly possible to convert console files to be used in PC versions of the game, I've done this partially with a lot of Resident Evil 5 (GOLD) files from the PS3 version. It's a very tedius task reversing files.... But it could well be worth it if a tool is written.
Gh0stBlade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-11, 19:12   #23
TippingWater

It would be really neat if you somehow made it possible for the DLC to be played on the PC .
TippingWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-11, 19:17   #24
Gh0stBlade

I don't think it's possible at this point in time, I've no idea which files do what. Nobody has really looked into anything im detail with this game.
Old 01-03-11, 19:52   #25
tomee

It'd be a dream. I'm so naive
tomee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-11, 21:15   #26
aussie500
Golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gh0stBlade View Post
@2awesome4apossum

I haven't edited Tomb Raider Underworld's files.

Ripping the X360 files and using them within the PC version is useless.

Reasons:

- Files are in reverese endian.
- There are alot of different formats

Resolutions:

- Completely mapping the format out and writing conversion programs (possible) but injecting the files back into the bigfile.00* becomes another problem.

I can't do this of course, I'm no programmer yet.

--------

It's absolutly possible to convert console files to be used in PC versions of the game, I've done this partially with a lot of Resident Evil 5 (GOLD) files from the PS3 version. It's a very tedius task reversing files.... But it could well be worth it if a tool is written.
Have you spoken to Dusan about the possibility of a tool to repack bigfiles?
aussie500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-11, 23:14   #27
sephiroth99

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie500 View Post
Have you spoken to Dusan about the possibility of a tool to repack bigfiles?
I made for myself an utility that is able to change files in the bigfiles (bigfiles are simple files, basically like an uncompressed archive file). I tried for example to change the bathing suit outfit with the wetsuit, but the game hangs/crashes.

The problem is the DRModel files (.drm) that contains the models. Dusan reverse engineered them enough to extract some data from them, but there are lots of unknown entires in those DRM files and no way to reconstruct them (that I know anyway...)

I suppose there is something different in the drm files for each model, and without having completely cracked the file format, nothing can be done really.

So even before thinking about DLC on PC, there is a lot of work to do. I wouldn't get my hopes up...
sephiroth99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-11, 23:25   #28
Gh0stBlade

Quote:
Originally Posted by sephiroth99 View Post
I made for myself an utility that is able to change files in the bigfiles (bigfiles are simple files, basically like an uncompressed archive file). I tried for example to change the bathing suit outfit with the wetsuit, but the game hangs/crashes.

The problem is the DRModel files (.drm) that contains the models. Dusan reverse engineered them enough to extract some data from them, but there are lots of unknown entires in those DRM files and no way to reconstruct them (that I know anyway...)

I suppose there is something different in the drm files for each model, and without having completely cracked the file format, nothing can be done really.

So even before thinking about DLC on PC, there is a lot of work to do. I wouldn't get my hopes up...
I urgently need this for testing please. Is there a way I could obtain it? PM me if possible.

Thanks
Old 01-03-11, 23:34   #29
H4RR7H

Eep, I should've posted here earlier. GhostBlade and happyfunstick have both approached me about the possibility of playing the Xbox 360 DLC on PC.

I actually have no idea about going about it beyond the extraction from the Xbox 360 version; a little insight:

Quote:
Originally Posted by H4RR7H
This has long been a task on the underground of these forums; for the past two years I've been part of any public teams who might have tried this. Unfortunately all attempts were unsuccessful.

The last wasn't actually putting the files into the PC game, but redirecting existing outfit slots to the Xbox 360 DLC manually as the game was running using edited versions happyfunstick's tools. HFS as a member is no longer active, sadly.

After about a 6 month hiatus, I'm currently assisting Gh0stBlade in anyway I can with a reopened investigation. There's been no new luck so far.

We are with the suspicion that it is certainly possible - however the PC engine must be able to comply with the cross-formatted outfit derived from the 360. We've never had anything but total game crashes. Gh0stBlade comes in here; apparently he's knows a little about reverse-engineering endian file types (between platforms). However, we are still lacking an injector.

This would mean we could put them in the DLC outfit slots that are actually already in the engine. Note there's absolutely no guarantee we will succeed at this even if we try, but if you think you can help in anyway feel free to query Gh0stBlade. I'm only experienced in obtaining the files from the Xbox 360 version of Underworld, and have never had any of my own ideas to go from there.
Good to see sephiroth99 on the scene Where is happyfunstick?

Edit: Do you think it's possible to write an injector, Dusan?

Last edited by H4RR7H; 01-03-11 at 23:41.
H4RR7H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-11, 23:38   #30
Gh0stBlade

Hi, reading your quote was fun @_@

So the .DRM files are the models?