www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Franchise > Tomb Raider Motion Pictures

Old 19-11-19, 12:30   #11
PinkyPromise
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccroft2003 View Post
Then CD swooped in with the reboot hoping to add their own spin which (for me at least) was very lack-lustre and hasn't worked. They've Americanised the franchise and Lara is now a pathetic shadow of her former self, a caricature of what Americans believe it's like to be upper-class British...
So true. Lara is Lara Cruise now.
PinkyPromise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-19, 13:02   #12
Ellioft
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccroft2003 View Post
".

Then CD swooped in with the reboot hoping to add their own spin which (for me at least) was very lack-lustre and hasn't worked. They've Americanised the franchise and Lara is now a pathetic shadow of her former self, a caricature of what Americans believe it's like to be upper-class British...
This is when I stoped to read because Lara as a british person in the Core games are also filled with a lot of cliches about talking with manierism, live in a manor with a buttler. When reboot Lara live in East London with multicultural peoples who surround her life. It's not in your face I think.

Last edited by Ellioft; 19-11-19 at 13:57.
Ellioft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-19, 15:47   #13
ccroft2003
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellioft View Post
This is when I stoped to read because Lara as a british person in the Core games are also filled with a lot of cliches about talking with manierism, live in a manor with a buttler. When reboot Lara live in East London with multicultural peoples who surround her life. It's not in your face I think.
I think the thing is this - Lara's character was simple back in the CORE days. She might have been a bit of a cliche, but the team behind her creation and the script of the games were British, so the humour and cliches were the right ones. This is something that is VERY different to American humor and cliches. For example, a British person knows that it doesn't always rain in the UK... an American probably thinks it does given the image portrayed to them.

CD have changed things so much that not only has Lara herself, but the entire heart of Tomb Raider has been lost - and I believe this came from the British team originally behind it.

This originally started with a complete miss-understanding of Lara from the 2001 movie and AJ meddling with the script to get her own Dad on board. They thought - "What drives Lara, what makes her more interesting to an American audience... oh, i know, lets turn her into a mix between James Bond and Bruce Wayne. Forget the fact she was disowned by her parents for being who she was, who wants to relate to that?"......
Old 23-11-19, 00:13   #14
AimlessThunder
Professor

I think that the current movie Lara iteration is the closest we ever got to classic Lara. Personality wise. I can't wait to see what they have in store for us for the next one.