www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Underworld

Old 16-11-19, 19:15   #81
Tomb Raidering
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix Kroft View Post
When it comes to Crystal Dynamics Tomb Raiders, i love Legend Lara, the best animations, rich moveset, fluidity, and the addition of mouse aiming makes it perfect. Anniversary movement, and animations are dumbed down a little, compared to Legend, controling Lara feels limited, and clunky.
How was Anniversary dumbed down from Legend? It had all the animations, plus the new pole standing and adrenaline dodges. If you mean that the platforming didn’t compensate for it..... idk

Quote:
Underworld Lara is just... Meh...
Right. Not even close to Legend Lara’s entertaining attitude, and Anniversary Lara’s confidence...
Old 17-11-19, 11:28   #82
Felix Kroft
Hobbyist

I mean controlling Lara.

Compare Legend and Anniversary Lara movements, not only animations, but overall controls, and fluidity of them. At first they might look and feel the same, but there's small difference.

For example side rolling when having guns drawn is completely different, camera seems to be a little bit better in Legend too.

Legend Lara has more gymnastic skills, but Anniversary has faster pole swing mechanic.

I've played both console, and pc versions of both games, so i'm pretty sure, that Legend on PC seems to be the one that's the best, in terms of aiming, and controlling character.

I don't remember the ability to aim with the analog stick on PS2 [And i don't mean when in manual aim, just from regular view] On PC you can use mouse to point your guns anywhere.

And i had the first release version of Legend.

Anniversary on PC lacked this feature.

And as to Underworld Lara, i meant model, not her personality. I had some fun with TRU, as much as i could, but that game is just depressing.

Still, TRU Lara has a lots of new cool moves. I just wished it resembled Legend mechanics, and engine a little bit more.

There are many more differences between TRL and TRA, but i think that's not the right thread for this, it's about TRU ; ]
Old 17-11-19, 15:48   #83
Kapu
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateRaider View Post
you know what one thing i dont like about tr:u is how lara no longer gains momentum while wall running
I never noticed this until you said it. Another reason the wall running in TRA is better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix Kroft View Post
There are many more differences between TRL and TRA, but i think that's not the right thread for this, it's about TRU ; ]
Nah it's totally fair game to compare them. The best parts of TRL/TRA - the smooth animations and fluid controls - are trash in TRU. Such a downgrade, and for what? They already had great animations; I feel like they jumped on the motion capture train just for the sake of it. If TRU had reused the existing animations from TRL/TRA and hand animated the new moves, the game would have been twice as good. Even with no other changes, it would have at least played considerably smoother.

Last edited by Kapu; 17-11-19 at 15:53.
Kapu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-19, 18:36   #84
Nigel Cassidy
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapu View Post
They already had great animations; I feel like they jumped on the motion capture train just for the sake of it. If TRU had reused the existing animations from TRL/TRA and hand animated the new moves, the game would have been twice as good. Even with no other changes, it would have at least played considerably smoother.
I believe that is the sad truth...
Nigel Cassidy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-19, 20:21   #85
Kapu
Professor

Default @^

Like I get it, they were just super ambitious with TRU - pulled out all the stops, so to speak. In theory, replacing all the animations from the ground up with mocap should have been a significant generational leap...obviously it wasn't and we all know how it ended up.
Kapu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-19, 13:25   #86
Dennis's Mom

TBF, comparing Legend's camera with TRU's isn't a direct comparison. Legend was super scripted in where you could go, what you could do. That makes it really easy for the camera.

TRU really opened up the areas and gave Lara a lot more possibilities. The camera was a problem that shouldn't have happened, but Legend was a through pipe of level design that provided no challenges for it.
Old 19-11-19, 16:37   #87
Chamayoo
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapu View Post
Like I get it, they were just super ambitious with TRU - pulled out all the stops, so to speak. In theory, replacing all the animations from the ground up with mocap should have been a significant generational leap...obviously it wasn't and we all know how it ended up.
Certainly what they believed, I can't blame them in that case. I wish they anticipated that they didn't have the budget and the time to do it properly. I mean if they acknowledged this early in the development, so they could abandoned it and keep some money and time for other things that needed it. Like some polish or maybe a proper secret system.
Obviously the better case was to release the game far later in end 2009 / early 2010. Then they could finish the mocap properly and we could have something really new and convincing.
Old 19-11-19, 20:52   #88
CroftManiac05
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamayoo View Post
Obviously the better case was to release the game far later in end 2009 / early 2010. Then they could finish the mocap properly and we could have something really new and convincing.
That would be the best solution. But Eidos being Eidos simply couldn't wait...
Old 19-11-19, 23:24   #89
Chamayoo
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroftManiac05 View Post
That would be the best solution. But Eidos being Eidos simply couldn't wait...
Unfortunately they were almost bankrupt in 2008, they really believed Underworld alone would save them... Ha.... Haha.
Old 21-11-19, 08:55   #90
Larson_1988
Tomb Raider

What i think is the worst in Underworld is the total lack of replayability, it is a good game in general, though a bit buggy and it is very apparent that the game was rushed in many areas, but at least Legend and Anniversary has time trials, relics to gather, lots of outfits to collect.

In Underworld there's really nothing.