www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Franchise > Tomb Raider Motion Pictures

Old 18-11-19, 17:53   #1
Alex Shepherd
Relic Hunter

Default Why? (About movies from videogames)

The first Tomb Raider appeared in 2001: Angelina Jolie. All was I thought was she's going with an extremly long adventure and the screen is going to be just exactly like Tomb Raider games. But why they never make video games just like exactly storyline as in movies? Why they change the story of Lara's father's death, home, second mom and eveyrthing else? Why??? Does Hollywood has its speicifc rule of movies? But Harry Potter is hollywood
Is it really so hard for producers to take the Exact storyline from video games and make it a movie? Just like harry potter. But Tomb Raider,Resident evil, Silent hill,Assassin Creed and others never mention ANYTHING that has to do with video games or they mention a little. Why not copying the video game storyline to movie? WHY EVEYTIME they change everything including Lara herself?

Last edited by Alex Shepherd; 18-11-19 at 17:56.
Alex Shepherd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-19, 22:48   #2
larafan25
Sage

It's because they're stupid. That's the only fathomable reason.

It is such an important detail, that it is a sin for them to change it, or get it wrong.

Yet... it matters so little, so why would they even change it?

Very annoying. <3
Old 18-11-19, 22:56   #3
Tomb Raidering
Archaeologist

I ask this question to myself a lot. What if the first TR movie was an adaptation of TR1?

Natla, her gang, the abandoned cities and kingdoms, Dinosaurs, the mummies, the Scion would all have made an interesting story. They could have changed parts of the story (a la TR2018), and re-composed the music from the game more... symphonically? The Dinosaur parts could have been hard, idk, maybe it could have been possible?

Anyway, they probably didn’t want to sell the same story twice, literally......
Old 18-11-19, 23:19   #4
JsotoTRSaga
Relic Hunter

Sadly writers have a set of rules when writing a story for a movie, when writing a video game movie they must first find the movie within the games. That is how they view it, instead of making an adaption from the videogames storyline they always change things drastically bc of the "find the movie within the games" view. Sometimes they also want to add their own spin on it on an attempt to fix what isn't broken and/or to leave their own mark. It never works as it should but in TR's case, I'd say it wasn't so bad at all.

Last edited by JsotoTRSaga; 18-11-19 at 23:21. Reason: Typo
JsotoTRSaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-19, 23:23   #5
Tomb Raidering
Archaeologist

Taking their spin on it gave us the parental issues that we’ve been suffering since Legend.
Old 18-11-19, 23:59   #6
Rai

Moved to the TR movie section, seeing as you're talking about the movie adaptations .
Old 19-11-19, 00:12   #7
Tonyrobinson
Tomb Raider

I think it's mostly a way to write a ten hour narrative into a two hour one, they find the elements of what they want to include then build a story and character around it. Games are a harder medium to adapt because they're already a visually cinematic art form and have unlimited time for plot to unfold.

Books are a different medium and are generally easier to adapt.
Old 19-11-19, 03:36   #8
michaeldt
Tomb Raider

Because stories from video games are not written and structured in a way that necessarily works for a film.

That being said, TR2001 also doesn't do a great job of its story (Although I still love it <3).

It may have something to do with the fact that the first movie was written very quickly, rushed otherwise the film couldn't be made.
Old 19-11-19, 08:39   #9
PinkyPromise
Archaeologist

I never understood why they changed Lara's origin in 2001.

Lara being disinherited by her aristocratic parents because she wants to pursue her dreams. That's perfect. This makes someone rich more friendly to the audience. Instead, they made Lara the daughter of Indiana Jones and it was all more predictable and less interesting.
PinkyPromise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-19, 10:57   #10
ccroft2003
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkyPromise View Post
I never understood why they changed Lara's origin in 2001.

Lara being disinherited by her aristocratic parents because she wants to pursue her dreams. That's perfect. This makes someone rich more friendly to the audience. Instead, they made Lara the daughter of Indiana Jones and it was all more predictable and less interesting.
Because to get AJ signed on to the film, Simon West changed the script to accommodate her and her ideas to include her real Dad in the movie... VERY ANNOYING!!!! Not to mention them selling Lara to be the "Female James Bond" when she should have been the "Female, English, Indiana Jones".

The problem back then was that Lara actually had very little back-story and this left a lot of gaps to fill to transform her into a relevant, relatable movie character that Angelina could play. Back then, Lara was a visual icon on covers of magazines and Lucozade commercials, but not much was really known about her character other than she "kicked ass" while looking "sexy".

Then CD swooped in with the reboot hoping to add their own spin which (for me at least) was very lack-lustre and hasn't worked. They've Americanised the franchise and Lara is now a pathetic shadow of her former self, a caricature of what Americans believe it's like to be upper-class British...