www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Future of Tomb Raider

Old 07-06-19, 23:24   #41
SoraSakai
Archaeologist

https://youtu.be/YJcWEXFuDZU

Assassin’s Creed Odyssey is receiving a level/story creator mode. Developer at Ubisoft apparently sited Mario Maker as an inspiration. Makes sense since Ubisoft and Nintendo are really close.

I hope SOTTR receives something like this!
Old 08-06-19, 00:21   #42
TrustyBow
Professor

I wonder how hard it would be to implement. I'm sure Ubisoft has a much larger crew than EM.

Considering we're probably in for a hiatus, a Tomb Maker seems like it would be in SE's best interest. It'd be a good way to keep people talking about the franchise.
Old 08-06-19, 00:26   #43
Zebra
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoraSakai View Post
https://youtu.be/YJcWEXFuDZU

Assassin’s Creed Odyssey is receiving a level/story creator mode. Developer at Ubisoft apparently sited Mario Maker as an inspiration. Makes sense since Ubisoft and Nintendo are really close.

I hope SOTTR receives something like this!
This Story Creator Mode, in all likelihood, will merely allow you to create new quests in the existing open world, not to create new locations/environments, so this sort of thing would be somewhat useless in a game like Shadow of the Tomb Raider with a considerably smaller/more linear world.
Old 10-06-19, 17:02   #44
shadow_boy
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoraSakai View Post
Just another little idea I wanted to throw out there. Tomb Maker. Kinda like Mario Maker but obviously with Tomb Raider.

I am NOT talking about releasing the entire engine to the public, but rather a simplified “drag and drop” level(tomb) creator. The “Snap Map” mode in DOOM 2016 is a good example.

You’re given a finite amount of recourses you can use to make one big tomb. This can either be created for solo or co-op play. Let’s say you have 9,000POINTS you can use to make your tomb. Placing an object or enemy used 5POINTS, placing larger objects maybe uses 20POINTS (just an example of how it won’t be infinite giant never-ending levels).

This would allow the team to reuse all those assets they’ve made for the reboot trilogy and allow fans to create and share their ideas for perfect Tomb Raider levels. It would be really cheap for them to create.

To keep things simple I don’t think it should allow for cutscene creation because the focus is meant to be on crafting, playing and sharing levels. So think of it as a simplified (yet more modern) version of the OG level editor.

You could choose whether it’s an exterior tomb or interior (with selectable sky-boxes), choose where to place traps, where to place enemies, what clothes to put Lara in or maybe even select to play as a different character model from the series.

I would honestly love this and it would have near-infinite replay ability for me. It would essentially mean there would be a new tomb for us to play every single day until the next TR game comes out.

What does everyone think?
I've always liked this idea. I though it could work as a spin off of the series, maybe in the Lara Croft game series. It could be isometric as previous games or my preference, something more like little big planet that mixes 2D and 3D with a more cartoony style to it.
shadow_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-19, 19:25   #45
Chamayoo
Professor

Super Mario Maker 1 & 2
Dreams
Assassin's Creed Odyssey Story Creator DLC
Gears 5 Escape Map Builder
The Legend of Zelda Link's Awakening Dongeon Builder

I think this is real. We enter of an era where popular games have some sort of a creator mode.
I'm exciting. I truly want Tomb Raider to jump to this bandwagon.

Sora had a really great idea. I just can't help to imagine the next step of the spin off games, the Lara Croft brand. Lara Croft Tomb Maker ! A Classic style and accessible editor, on Switch, PC, PS5 and Scarlett. Please Square Enix, I want that to happen !

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow_boy View Post
I've always liked this idea. I though it could work as a spin off of the series, maybe in the Lara Croft game series. It could be isometric as previous games or my preference, something more like little big planet that mixes 2D and 3D with a more cartoony style to it.
I think a truly good old 3D game would work perfectly. No need of isometric or 2.5D.
Just like you said, a different art style (cartoony) on a game only based on create levels and tombs. Would be different enough to the other games to exist !

Last edited by Chamayoo; 23-06-19 at 19:33.
Chamayoo is online now   Reply With Quote