www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor > Software Development

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 14-10-16, 18:54   #1
Caesum
Tomb Raider
 
Caesum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Poland, Warsaw Gender: Male
Posts: 11,404
Default AnimEdit

I remember making a thread once about this programme, but it somehow disappeared so I decided to make it once again.

As you already know some years ago Elio released several archive packages with PSX development tools as well as Room Editor and AnimEdit programme for TR4 and TR5. These tools can be opened in old Windows version and in DOS. You can also use DosBox to run them.

I am wondering, if anyone has tried to test these programs and actually try to use them? Were there any attempts to understand or decompile them? AnimEdit seems like an extremely interesting program, since it could import both meshes and animations as well as crop textures and texturize meshes.
Maybe some of its code could be used to enhance WadMerger or even make a better alternative to it?


Some people were trying to use it back then when it was released, and Elio released a test project with a cube which could be loaded into AnimEdit. That's as far as the programme was tested though so far.

TR4 & TR5 PSX Stuff
Dev Tools(Room Editor+AnimEdit)
Cube .PRK example

I have made this thread to store the above links as well as to make a place were people could discuss this programme.
Caesum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-16, 19:44   #2
leveldesigner1
Hobbyist
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Finland
Posts: 85
Default

I tried to use the program, but I don't have no success... The program crashed when I tried to open a WAD file... perhaps the best thing to do would be to make a completely new program... But this is only my opinion
leveldesigner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-16, 20:05   #3
Caesum
Tomb Raider
 
Caesum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Poland, Warsaw Gender: Male
Posts: 11,404
Default

From what I understand the WAD itself is an ending result of AnimEdit package making. The editing itself is on a lower level. Much like levels converted from .TOM file into a .TR4 file. You don't edit a .TR4 level later, but have project files to make a new one.
Caesum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-16, 20:38   #4
leveldesigner1
Hobbyist
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Finland
Posts: 85
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesum View Post
From what I understand the WAD itself is an ending result of AnimEdit package making. The editing itself is on a lower level. Much like levels converted from .TOM file into a .TR4 file. You don't edit a .TR4 level later, but have project files to make a new one.
Caesum, i'm thinking of making a new AnimEdit How that sounds?
leveldesigner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-16, 20:44   #5
Caesum
Tomb Raider
 
Caesum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Poland, Warsaw Gender: Male
Posts: 11,404
Default

It would be great! But I believe it would be needed to understand how the original AnimEdit works first in order to make a new one. Someone said disassembling it would be needed to learn all of its potential.


But yeah, I believe we are in a DESPERATE™ need of an alternative to WadMerger. I mean it is a great app but surely so horribly bugged lmao. And most of its features are useless and dangerous now. Something more up-to-date would be appreciated heavily.

Last edited by Caesum; 14-10-16 at 20:48.
Caesum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-16, 21:07   #6
leveldesigner1
Hobbyist
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Finland
Posts: 85
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesum View Post
It would be great! But I believe it would be needed to understand how the original AnimEdit works first in order to make a new one. Someone said disassembling it would be needed to learn all of its potential.


But yeah, I believe we are in a DESPERATE™ need of an alternative to WadMerger. I mean it is a great app but surely so horribly bugged lmao. And most of its features are useless and dangerous now. Something more up-to-date would be appreciated heavily.
I know what kind of interface Core Design used in their tools They used a customized window wchich caused a clunky use... And sorry if my english is bad, i'm from Finland
leveldesigner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-16, 17:22   #7
tomb2player
Archaeologist
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Poland
Posts: 1,013
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesum View Post
It would be great! But I believe it would be needed to understand how the original AnimEdit works first in order to make a new one. Someone said disassembling it would be needed to learn all of its potential.


But yeah, I believe we are in a DESPERATE™ need of an alternative to WadMerger. I mean it is a great app but surely so horribly bugged lmao. And most of its features are useless and dangerous now. Something more up-to-date would be appreciated heavily.
What? don't be so dramatic, WadMerger is not that bad, besides those bugs. And I don't think that most of it's features are useless..
__________________
Tomb Raider: RMS Titanic
tomb2player is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-16, 19:13   #8
Salem150
Student
 
Salem150's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Israel
Posts: 186
Default

yeah Wadmeger is very bad and buggy but not useless xD

anyway what i think we need is levels converter and Room Editor to make any TR playable level(.PHD/TUB .TR2/TR3 .TRC/TR5)
its good to start with understading the AnimEdit and RoomEdit v51

(These tools can be opened in old Windows version only. not in DOS)
Salem150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-16, 19:29   #9
Caesum
Tomb Raider
 
Caesum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Poland, Warsaw Gender: Male
Posts: 11,404
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomb2player View Post
What? don't be so dramatic, WadMerger is not that bad, besides those bugs. And I don't think that most of it's features are useless..
Does anyone even use AI Editor these days? And Sound Manager breaks your WAD sounds, sometimes even the entire wad. Animation Editor is buggy as hell and tbh it is way easier to just make anims in 3ds max and use workarounds like TRViewer to import them into LARA object(a slow and irritating process). It also breaks some animation settings(only recently Acceleration was fixed). Adding TRNG-exclusive slots is a painful and buggy process. A lot of things result in either crash or broken WAD. Sorry, but as far as useful WadMerger is, it is also extremely old, buggy and it isn't continued anymore by its original creator(Michiel). It is also made using Visual Basic 6 which isn't supported since 2008.

Obviously you can learn how to use WadMerger in order to minimalise the amount of bugs and crashes, but it does in no way make the program itself any better.

WadMerger is a hot mess that is only used these days because there is no real alternative to it yet. There are many great alternatives to some of its features(like an amazing TRLESoundEditor by Saper or TRNG scripts) but nothing that really gives you a possibility to make TRNG-compatible WADs. It was and still is a great tool but we could really use something more up-to-date now. Especially since we have AnimEdit now and we can learn how Core Design used to make their own WADs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salem150 View Post
(These tools can be opened in old Windows version only. not in DOS)
If you download PSX Dev Tools there are two .EXE files called ANIMEDIT and ROOMEDIT. These are for DOS.

Last edited by Caesum; 15-10-16 at 19:49.
Caesum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-16, 20:47   #10
tomb2player
Archaeologist
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Poland
Posts: 1,013
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesum View Post
Does anyone even use AI Editor these days? And Sound Manager breaks your WAD sounds, sometimes even the entire wad. Animation Editor is buggy as hell and tbh it is way easier to just make anims in 3ds max and use workarounds like TRViewer to import them into LARA object(a slow and irritating process). It also breaks some animation settings(only recently Acceleration was fixed). Adding TRNG-exclusive slots is a painful and buggy process. A lot of things result in either crash or broken WAD. Sorry, but as far as useful WadMerger is, it is also extremely old, buggy and it isn't continued anymore by its original creator(Michiel). It is also made using Visual Basic 6 which isn't supported since 2008.

Obviously you can learn how to use WadMerger in order to minimalise the amount of bugs and crashes, but it does in no way make the program itself any better.

WadMerger is a hot mess that is only used these days because there is no real alternative to it yet. There are many great alternatives to some of its features(like an amazing TRLESoundEditor by Saper or TRNG scripts) but nothing that really gives you a possibility to make TRNG-compatible WADs. It was and still is a great tool but we could really use something more up-to-date now. Especially since we have AnimEdit now and we can learn how Core Design used to make their own WADs.


If you download PSX Dev Tools there are two .EXE files called ANIMEDIT and ROOMEDIT. These are for DOS.
Yes you are right about this, to be honest I don't even know what is AI editor used for.. it is also probably most bugged feature, since it crashes no matter what you do inside. And I have to totally agree with highlighted sentences - you literally need to learn how to use this tool, in order to not break your WAD file, which is the worst case. Simple crashes are less evil.
__________________
Tomb Raider: RMS Titanic
tomb2player is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT. The time now is 07:50.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.