www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > Video-Games, Consoles and Related Discussions

Old 19-03-19, 19:10   #11
Zebra
Legend

On the one hand, the idea of developers no longer being bound by hardware limitations sounds great. On the other hand, this whole concept has some very worrying implications with regards to game ownership and game preservation (not to mention modding). If this service ever shuts down, any games that were exclusive to it will likely be lost to history. And, of course, it'll only work if your connection is fast enough.
Old 19-03-19, 19:29   #12
rewak
Professor

But there will be hardware limitations, it has to run on something to stream out. I'm not seeing a whole lot of info on exactly what it's running on, or what it will actually support. Will developers/publishers have to support it? Or will it link with Steam? Do players actually own anything? Or is it a subscription only thing like Game Pass that rotates available games every now and then? Pretty major questions unanswered.
rewak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-19, 20:06   #13
Zebra
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by rewak View Post
But there will be hardware limitations, it has to run on something to stream out. I'm not seeing a whole lot of info on exactly what it's running on, or what it will actually support. Will developers/publishers have to support it? Or will it link with Steam? Do players actually own anything? Or is it a subscription only thing like Game Pass that rotates available games every now and then? Pretty major questions unanswered.
The way they explained it, they basically have "nodes" on their servers. Each node is sort of the equivalent of a PC or console - one GPU, one CPU, a RAM unit,... - but if a game needs more power, it can supposedly use more than one node to run. Of course there will have to be some sort of limit somewhere (though that limit will presumably be a bit more fluid, less clearly defined) but compared to current consoles and even high-end PCs, it'll be incredibly powerful if it works the way they said it would. Will be interesting to see whether those multi-node games will be more expensive, though. Or maybe Google will take a higher cut of the sales price for them or sth. I mean, this is total speculation as they haven't said what their business model is going to look like.

Last edited by Zebra; 19-03-19 at 20:07.
Zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-19, 20:19   #14
Samsdad
Relic Hunter

Lots of unanswered questions. Will you set up an account with Google and then all of your game activity and saves, etc will be associated with that account? Will there be a fixed fee or could you be charged by the amount of activity? I am picturing all kinds of weird subscription models.
Old 19-03-19, 20:30   #15
Zebra
Legend

I think some of the wording during the conference implied that you'll be able to purchase individual games so I imagine they'll have a regular store where they take a cut of the profits just like Sony and MS do with their licencing fees and that they probably use that cut to finance the streaming infrastructure. And in addition to that, they'll probably also have some sort of subscription service with a more limited selection of games similar to GamePass and Origin Access.
Old 20-03-19, 08:50   #16
jackali
Super Moderator

Wonder what the input lag will be like.
Old 20-03-19, 16:24   #17
Samsdad
Relic Hunter

The digital foundry report posted by TRfan23 above addresses that to a certain extent but it will be interesting to see what actual users report. Required Internet speed has been reported as 25 mbps for 1080 60fps and 55 mbps for 4K. If you have a data cap you could burn through it quite quickly

https://gadgets.ndtv.com/games/news/...vealed-2010348

Interesting to see Microsoft's response to the Google announcement.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/3/20/1...ponse-comments

Last edited by Samsdad; 20-03-19 at 16:35.
Samsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-19, 21:06   #18
domino92
Tomb Raider

I don't doubt this is possible from a hardware perspective. I think Google is overestimating broadband and wireless internet connectivity and the infrastructure is lightyears away from being able to sustain something like this.
Old 06-06-19, 17:01   #19
laracroftswest
Professor

Some more details announced today:
https://store.google.com/product/sta...unders_edition

Looks like the Reboot trilogy will be available for it too on launch.
Old 06-06-19, 22:33   #20
TR FAN 18
Professor

£8.99/month for Pro and I STILL have to buy the games? No thanks!