www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Franchise > Tomb Raider Motion Pictures

Old 30-05-19, 13:42   #541
Enya Brennan
Relic Hunter

If it ends up being released in 2021, how would you people feel if the next film fast-forwards a few years after the Yamatai events and presents a retelling of Tomb Raider I's storyline, as a way of celebrating the 25th anniversary of the franchise?
Old 30-05-19, 13:59   #542
Portugalraider
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enya Brennan View Post
If it ends up being released in 2021, how would you people feel if the next film fast-forwards a few years after the Yamatai events and presents a retelling of Tomb Raider I's storyline, as a way of celebrating the 25th anniversary of the franchise?
I'd personally prefer a loose adaptation of RotTR, mainly because the last movie sets up Ana as the main villain and I think it would be a bit lame to both ditch her in favour of Natla, having her substitute Natla, or have both characters merged together.

Doesn't mean I wouldn't like it either, especially if the script is actually good. Because that is what the sequel actually needs right now: an actually good script.
Old 30-05-19, 14:08   #543
Amunet
Archaeologist

Quote:
I would prefer if the Reboot and Classic continuities remain separate. If a TR1 movie adaptation were to be made, I would prefer for it to not have any connections to the first Reboot movie. Which will obviously never happen... Maybe as an animated feature.
Old 30-05-19, 14:41   #544
killchan
Explorer

I don't read the comics so here's the question: would it make sense to take those as the source material for T2 at this point?
Old 30-05-19, 15:37   #545
Portugalraider
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by killchan View Post
I don't read the comics so here's the question: would it make sense to take those as the source material for T2 at this point?
Are you talking about the reboot comics? For plots, most of them feature too small-scale adventures to work as movie plots, though the combo "Survivor's Crusade + Inferno" could work well as a movie. It is very character centred, but Lara goes to a multitude of great locations, there are some good potential for combat set-pieces, and the hallucination in Inferno could be great cinema. Still, it would work better as a Tomb Raider 3 or 4 movie. It needs a Lara with many emotional baggage to work.

For characters, though, they really can work as source materials. Reboot Lara is at her best during the comics (she already is more in line with the movie reboot Lara in those, regarding personality), and both the Queen of Serpents and Nadija would be great inspirations for antagonists. Especially Nadija, she would be a great replacement for Konstantin and/or Rourke in an adaptation of RotTR and SotTR.
Old 31-05-19, 04:57   #546
Avalon SARL
Relic Hunter

Quote:
They can't do that. The Rebooted movie already hinted what the sequel is going to be about. Unless they mix it all altogether. I definitely want to see this Anna be Natla in disguise
Old 31-05-19, 07:00   #547
SoraSakai
Archaeologist

I would love that too!

Have Ana reveal herself to be Natla at the end of this film and then make her also the antagonist for the 3rd movie. Having a villain span 3 films would actually be really cool ^.^
Old 31-05-19, 11:25   #548
FanosCroft
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoraSakai View Post
I would love that too!

Have Ana reveal herself to be Natla at the end of this film and then make her also the antagonist for the 3rd movie. Having a villain span 3 films would actually be really cool ^.^
Ikrrrrr
Old 31-05-19, 13:10   #549
Portugalraider
Professor

Don't you guys think it would be better for Natla to be her own character, though?

I mean, Tomb Raider is not really Marvel nor DC, where everyone and their mothers have at least some knowledge of the different characters from those universes, and those sort of reveals can work. For Tomb Raider the only characters people actually know are Lara herself and the butler. And I am saying "the butler" because many don't know he is called Winston. Having Ana be Natla would just be a twist everyone else would be "so the villain is actually also a villain with a different name? Who cares?".

No, if they have to introduce Natla, she needs to be her own character. Otherwise it would be a disservice to both her and Ana.
Old 31-05-19, 23:09   #550
Ellioft
Professor

Well I just have finished to see Kill List and at first I wasn't feeling the movie at all the first part was really long with some unecessary cuts spreaded into the scenes. Then the atmophere become more gruesome and violent and atmospheric and the sound work was really well done in the last part.

Now I understand why you said this could be an interesting choice for Tomb Raider II. Amy seems to know how to write her characters in the most natural way possible. As for Ben I still have doubt but he seems to know how to switch between genres and deliver an ambiance so he could be someone interesting. Then again it was a small budget so I can't imagine what he could do with 80 millions.

Amy could write interesting scenes between Lara and Ana I think.