www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Future of Tomb Raider

Old 05-05-19, 13:19   #11
biscuits
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.Carnby View Post
Probably her iconic look is no longer important because she is today adventurer survivor, a girl with a bow (and dressed in tribal costumes often).
I don't suppose her iconic look ever comes back and many young players don't even know who the girl was originally with dual pistols and braid. I guess Lara Croft's return didn't come. When many people can't recognize her. I always recognize Mario character, Sonic character, Link character (Zelda). I would say that choosing to throw Lara's iconic look is sad.
I agree as well. I don't like how CD/SE/EM outright discarded the past at times. They should have embraced part of their roots a little bit.
Old 05-05-19, 13:41   #12
tomee
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuits View Post
Mary Sue is just a lazy word for people to describle female characters they don't like. I'm guilty of it too. Reboot Lara is not a Mary Sue. She doesn't exude the traits of one. You can call her dull and bland, but not a Mary Sue.
Thank you, noted. I'll try to use different language next time.
Old 05-05-19, 14:18   #13
Patrick star
Tomb Raider

I like Cassie and Sonya , A LOT actually . And yep that scene you've quoted is so freaking cool (but btw Cassie looks more like Ellen Page than Ellen Page herself )

As for all the cosmetic stuff , right now and thanks for the reverse psychology strengthened by TRF I don't care about them . As long as Lara is a long-haired brunette with a slim athlete body and good-looking practical outfits , I'm fine *Waits some of the cringe-worthy TR elder gods riddling this place to tell me I have a loose definition of Lara Croft , Yaaawn *

As for the sass and come-backs , these are totally what Reboot Lara lacks right now . She's shown some feeble hints here and there during this trilogy but that isn't enough .

But honestly ? sass and witty one-liners are becoming kind of bleh these days . Literally everyone and their mothers in every entertainment medium nowadays are oh so sassy it makes earnest focused protagonists like Reboot Lara kind of unique and stand out among the crowds , lol .

Last edited by Patrick star; 05-05-19 at 14:30.
Patrick star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-19, 14:42   #14
larafan25
Legend

Yes, and then render her in in the right style and it'll be perfect:

Old 05-05-19, 14:48   #15
biscuits
Professor

I'm sure we'll see a new Lara eventually.
Maybe we should have a cross over game featuring all versions of Lara having an adventure together.

Tomb Raider: Into The Croft Verse
Old 05-05-19, 15:04   #16
TrustyBow
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomee View Post
I kind of am. Obviously I'm not asking for Lara to actually go blonde, but watching Cassie did make me wonder just how much more of a Lara Croft she is than Lara Croft herself.
I see what you're saying, but I have to wonder, with all these "X is more like Lara than Reboot Lara" posts, was Classic Lara really that special? I mean I think her backstory was pretty unique, but I don't know about her personality being that special.
Old 05-05-19, 15:15   #17
tomee
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrustyBow View Post
I see what you're saying, but I have to wonder, with all these "X is more like Lara than Reboot Lara" posts, was Classic Lara really that special? I mean I think her backstory was pretty unique, but I don't know about her personality being that special.
Not necessarily to me, seeing as I started with LAU and went back to the classics retroactively. It's not her personality per se that I miss, but what she used to represent. "Lara Croft" was larger than life. They didn't try to make her a girl next door. She was a caricature. She was the exception. She was the extraordinary. You know what I mean? That campy and over the top, yet elegant and graceful bad bitch is who I fell in love with first and wish I had back. It's not even that I dislike Reboot Lara, because I don't. I probably sunk more hours into the trilogy than any of the previous games and had tons of fun in the process. If I had the chance to pick where the future goes however, I'd pick a classic approach in a heartbeat.
Old 05-05-19, 15:19   #18
Patrick star
Tomb Raider

Quote:
I have to raise the question : why does any character have to be "unique" and "iconic" and "one of a kind" etc etc to be good ?

Why are people still bothering to seek originality ? Let me put this so bluntly : personality-wise neither Classic Lara nor Reboot Lara are outstandingly unique . Classic Lara did NOT "own" sassiness or cheesy 90s one-liners nor the semi-super nearly perfect persona and demeanor , and Reboot Lara with her hero syndrome and overall nerdy goody-two-shoes persona is hardly exceptional or impressive beyond words .

I still love them nonetheless , but it's not a rose-tinted blind love .
Old 05-05-19, 15:21   #19
Yeauxleaux
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuits View Post
OOOOO I can't wait to see how this thread turns out

But I like Cassie. She's cool.
Omg literally my reaction

Anyway I'm not too hip on blonde Lara but I'll take Cassie and Sonya over NuLara any day.
Old 05-05-19, 15:28   #20
larafan25
Legend

Quote:
I think you have to like her for her to be special.