www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Future of Tomb Raider

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 24-05-19, 22:14   #11
NYCL@R@
Archaeologist
 
NYCL@R@'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: YOrk,PA
Posts: 2,288
Default

I don’t mind dark and gritty. What I mind is Lara. Her portrayal this time has to be stronger confident and leave some room for some light hearted moments, just to balance her out so she doesn’t seem like an egotistical character. It’s crazy to see Chole from UC the Lost Legacy emulate that same energy and to some how feel like like “this is who Lara Croft is” but it’s not, it’s Chole Fraser in an uncharted game. Her sass, sarcasm, and just over all character could’ve been brought to life more in the last decade since developing games have become more broad then it was in the 90s. I would love to see an evolved classic Lara in this or next generation of games. I honestly think CD has done it’s fair share it’s time to give the franchise to a better company.
__________________
AOD Reboot/Trilogy PS5 exclusive.

Last edited by NYCL@R@; 24-05-19 at 22:16.
NYCL@R@ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-19, 22:19   #12
biscuits
Professor
 
biscuits's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Everywhere
Posts: 4,308
Default

I just don't think Tomb Raider is right for dark and gritty. The treasure hunting genre as a whole doesn't really suit it.
__________________
The hammer of justice is unisex!
biscuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-19, 22:21   #13
Melonie Tomb Raider
Gold Contributor
 
Melonie Tomb Raider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: USA
Posts: 26,380
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuits View Post
I just don't think Tomb Raider is right for dark and gritty. The treasure hunting genre as a whole doesn't really suit it.
I agree, that's why I feel AOD was an awful direction for TR as well, despite loving that game and enjoying Lara's personality.
__________________
I can do all things through Croft who strengthens me
Melonie Tomb Raider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-19, 22:27   #14
Maverin
Archaeologist
 
Maverin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,221
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuits View Post
I just don't think Tomb Raider is right for dark and gritty. The treasure hunting genre as a whole doesn't really suit it.
I really liked AOD for it's storyline actually. The game might have been a mess for some but you can't deny that awesome vibe to it.
__________________
Remember
Maverin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-19, 22:28   #15
biscuits
Professor
 
biscuits's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Everywhere
Posts: 4,308
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonie Tomb Raider View Post
I agree, that's why I feel AOD was an awful direction for TR as well, despite loving that game and enjoying Lara's personality.
Agreed. Another example is Rise. I really like (maybe love?) that game, but by God is that game dour and depressing. It NEVER wanted to lighten up and literally every character in the game is sooo serious and all business. Lara should have had a little fun in her adventure. Seriously! All the melancholy and brooding damaged Lara's character. I like Rise Lara, but I understand why most call her dull.
That's one area where Shadow MASSIVELY improved.
__________________
The hammer of justice is unisex!
biscuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-19, 22:32   #16
_Seth
Explorer
 
_Seth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: England ♂
Posts: 821
Default

I want the story and tone to be mature, not adult, and to be dark, not gritty. Like AoD, or even Prince of Persia: Warrior Within.

Having said that I've always thought an Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom tone would be fitting for TR where it's lighthearted in its presentation, but the things that do actually happen can be horror-inspired and dark.
__________________
Seeing Is Believing
_Seth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-19, 22:36   #17
Melonie Tomb Raider
Gold Contributor
 
Melonie Tomb Raider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: USA
Posts: 26,380
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuits View Post
Agreed. Another example is Rise. I really like (maybe love?) that game, but by God is that game dour and depressing. It NEVER wanted to lighten up and literally every character in the game is sooo serious and all business. Lara should have had a little fun in her adventure. Seriously! All the melancholy and brooding damaged Lara's character. I like Rise Lara, but I understand why most call her dull.
That's one area where Shadow MASSIVELY improved.
Yup, this is truth. ROTTR is such a fun game for me, definitely near the top apart from the classics, but Lara and all the other characters being SO SERIOUS and SO DRAMATIC all the time was a drag! Jacob was the only person to really show somewhat of a personality, everyone else was so serious all the time, especially Lara. It's a shame too, there were so many witty opportunities, like Lara using the detonator when confronted by Konstantin in Syria. Imagine if instead of being SO SERIOUS she was more sarcastic, with a cheeky grin before pushing the detonator. It was set up so perfectly for that, and honestly that scene is still one of my favorites in the entire reboot simply because it showed just how resourceful and scrappy Lara is, but she didn't have the attitude to go along with it, which was such a waste.
__________________
I can do all things through Croft who strengthens me
Melonie Tomb Raider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-19, 22:43   #18
biscuits
Professor
 
biscuits's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Everywhere
Posts: 4,308
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonie Tomb Raider View Post
Yup, this is truth. ROTTR is such a fun game for me, definitely near the top apart from the classics, but Lara and all the other characters being SO SERIOUS and SO DRAMATIC all the time was a drag! Jacob was the only person to really show somewhat of a personality, everyone else was so serious all the time, especially Lara. It's a shame too, there were so many witty opportunities, like Lara using the detonator when confronted by Konstantin in Syria. Imagine if instead of being SO SERIOUS she was more sarcastic, with a cheeky grin before pushing the detonator. It was set up so perfectly for that, and honestly that scene is still one of my favorites in the entire reboot simply because it showed just how resourceful and scrappy Lara is, but she didn't have the attitude to go along with it, which was such a waste.
It's because the games take themselves too seriously. They leave no room for fun dialogue or humor. Even grim dark properties have sprinkles of lighthearted moments that make the characters human. Shadow had wonderful moments of levity between Lara and Jonah. I found her extremely likeable in that game.

I think reboot Lara is a very mishandled character that falls victim to poor creative decisions. The comics show a fun and quirky Lara who jokes around and has fun and rides a cool motorbike. Even movie Lara (who I despise) had spunk to her. You CAN make a fun reboot Lara. The comics prove that. Shadow (on some level) proves that as well. They need to just drop the dramatics, because clearly they don't have the chops to pull it off.
__________________
The hammer of justice is unisex!
biscuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-19, 23:34   #19
Melonie Tomb Raider
Gold Contributor
 
Melonie Tomb Raider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: USA
Posts: 26,380
Default

SOTTR Lara had so much potential for me, it finally felt like she had a personality in there. Not the personality I want overall, I'd prefer more classic traits in there, or honestly if she had the same personality she did in her kid segments even (spunky, rebellious). But even so I do find SOTTR likeable, a different voice would have done her more justice though, and for the next game it's absolutely necessary that they ramp things up or I will get bored.

SOTTR Lara was a MASSIVE improvement over the reboot and ROTTR, amazing for the reboot trilogy standards, but compared to other games as a whole she doesn't hold up and she is quite dull with some badass and slightly fun moments sprinkled in.
__________________
I can do all things through Croft who strengthens me
Melonie Tomb Raider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-19, 20:50   #20
Alterjano
Hobbyist
 
Alterjano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Malaysia
Posts: 82
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonie Tomb Raider View Post
SOTTR Lara had so much potential for me, it finally felt like she had a personality in there. Not the personality I want overall, I'd prefer more classic traits in there, or honestly if she had the same personality she did in her kid segments even (spunky, rebellious). But even so I do find SOTTR likeable, a different voice would have done her more justice though, and for the next game it's absolutely necessary that they ramp things up or I will get bored.

SOTTR Lara was a MASSIVE improvement over the reboot and ROTTR, amazing for the reboot trilogy standards, but compared to other games as a whole she doesn't hold up and she is quite dull with some badass and slightly fun moments sprinkled in.
Melonie, I feel exactly the same way too. I just want to see some of that spunk in Lara's persona and for her to be a force of nature. After all, she is a legend and a gaming icon. I don't want CD to continue to remove all of the vivaciousness out of her personality. No more Rambo Raider or Katniss Raider. Let her be free, adventurous and charming in the sequel. Oh and give her, the dual pistols too.

Last edited by Alterjano; 26-05-19 at 20:54.
Alterjano is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT. The time now is 08:23.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.