www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider II

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 31-05-19, 08:01   #1
Woops
Explorer
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 683
Cool Tomb Raider 2 glitchless Tool Assisted Speedrun

Hello everyone

My glitchless TAS of TR2 has finally been published on TASvideos.org. Here it is:


More details here: Tasvideos submission notes.

Publication page

note: the purpose of this thread is not for discussing the definition of a glitch nor saying a certain trick used in the run is a glitch because it is not, so please, no need for it

Final time is 1:21:27

This took about 2 months of work.

Hope you enjoy!
__________________
btw you're not invited bye

Last edited by Woops; 31-05-19 at 09:11.
Woops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-19, 08:24   #2
Maverin
Archaeologist
 
Maverin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,220
Default

I haven't watched the full thing yet but it looks really impressive. Could you elaborate a little on "tools assisted run"? I'm not sure what that means.
__________________
Remember
Maverin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-19, 08:26   #3
Dustie
Relic Hunter
 
Dustie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Poland
Posts: 9,026
Default

Wow you slaaaay!! I love your runs, always make me wanna play TR2 again <3
Dustie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-19, 08:29   #4
klona
Gold Contributor
 
klona's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 10,902
Default

Very cool!
__________________
Never felt that, never heard of that, never tasted that, never smelled that...
klona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-19, 09:08   #5
Woops
Explorer
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 683
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by klona View Post
Very cool!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustie View Post
Wow you slaaaay!! I love your runs, always make me wanna play TR2 again <3
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverin View Post
I haven't watched the full thing yet but it looks really impressive. Could you elaborate a little on "tools assisted run"? I'm not sure what that means.
Thank you!
Tool assisted means a sequence of inputs designed to complete a game as fast as possible, usually created by playing in a rerecording emulator with tools such as frame advance, slowdowns, savestates, and memory watch.

In other words, it's playing the game in a special emulator with special tools such as frame advance and savestates and watching memory values (such as speed and position etc..) to achieve perfect gameplay.
__________________
btw you're not invited bye
Woops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-19, 11:01   #6
mizuno_suisei
Relic Hunter
 
mizuno_suisei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Posts: 5,987
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woops View Post
Thank you



Thank you!
Tool assisted means a sequence of inputs designed to complete a game as fast as possible, usually created by playing in a rerecording emulator with tools such as frame advance, slowdowns, savestates, and memory watch.

In other words, it's playing the game in a special emulator with special tools such as frame advance and savestates and watching memory values (such as speed and position etc..) to achieve perfect gameplay.
Thankyou for that description. For some reason looking up the def of TAS in the past has been really..way off.

Just noticed a trick I've never seen already in the first 30 seconds. Will be watching
__________________
運なら自分で掴むわ。
mizuno_suisei is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-19, 11:42   #7
mizuno_suisei
Relic Hunter
 
mizuno_suisei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Posts: 5,987
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woops View Post
Thank you



Thank you!
Tool assisted means a sequence of inputs designed to complete a game as fast as possible, usually created by playing in a rerecording emulator with tools such as frame advance, slowdowns, savestates, and memory watch.

In other words, it's playing the game in a special emulator with special tools such as frame advance and savestates and watching memory values (such as speed and position etc..) to achieve perfect gameplay.
Thankyou for that description. For some reason looking up the def of TAS in the past has been really..way off.

Just noticed a trick I've never seen already in the first 30 seconds. Will be watching
__________________
運なら自分で掴むわ。
mizuno_suisei is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-19, 11:54   #8
Maverin
Archaeologist
 
Maverin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,220
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woops View Post
Tool assisted means a sequence of inputs designed to complete a game as fast as possible, usually created by playing in a rerecording emulator with tools such as frame advance, slowdowns, savestates, and memory watch.

In other words, it's playing the game in a special emulator with special tools such as frame advance and savestates and watching memory values (such as speed and position etc..) to achieve perfect gameplay.
Thanks for this! So you don't use Macro tools to auto-complete certain harder sequences in the game? I really like how much monitoring you put in the run, calculating even the RAM speed.
__________________
Remember
Maverin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-19, 12:51   #9
Woops
Explorer
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 683
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizuno_suisei View Post
Thankyou for that description. For some reason looking up the def of TAS in the past has been really..way off.

Just noticed a trick I've never seen already in the first 30 seconds. Will be watching
Thank you! Hope you enjoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverin View Post
Thanks for this! So you don't use Macro tools to auto-complete certain harder sequences in the game? I really like how much monitoring you put in the run, calculating even the RAM speed.
Np
Nop, think of it as I'm creating the inputs as I go on into the game, and then the emulator is able to replay the exact same inputs back.
__________________
btw you're not invited bye
Woops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-19, 17:55   #10
The Great Chi
The Inscrutable One
 
The Great Chi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Beyond the Floating Islands
Posts: 9,274
Talking

Why use software tools for speedruns, when you can use heavy tools instead

__________________
Humble words by The Great Chi
The Great Chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT. The time now is 11:04.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.