www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Old 09-06-19, 14:19   #11
Aikon
Explorer

Expectations.
I expected more and some things handled differently and wasn't happy with it for example. And I think I'm not alone in this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iWANEX View Post
Shadow is not the most divisive game at all, lol. It's just the newest one. Every single game from the trilogy has been trashed to death but whenever a new game gets released the previous ones are seen in a different light. And that will happen to Shadow too. Mark my words.

I did think it would be less divisive, specially seeing how TR-ry it is compared to the previous ones but apparently people don't care that much about it anymore. One would think that just because of that, the game would be more accepted but nope. It's still hated as much as TR2013 and Rise were. Not more and not less.
Not outside of this forum.
Shadow definitely wasn't received as well TR2013 or even RotTR by players.
Aikon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-19, 14:27   #12
Vaskito
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aikon View Post
Expectations.
I expected more and some things handled differently and wasn't happy with it for example. And I think I'm not alone in this.

Not outside of this forum.
Shadow definitely wasn't received as well TR2013 or even RotTR by players.
Outside this forum, in what regards? If you mean by the gp, it’s pretty obvious why - less combat and more puzzles. Lots of complaints about the game being “too hard” with its puzzles (yes, you read it right. Just check user reviews), and for almost no combat- is this is one of the things that cements that imo a TR game in the likes of the classics wouldn’t be commercially successful (I could be wrong). If you mean Tomb Raider fans, outside of TRF, the game is actually well received and praised for the direction it took, even from many classic only tr fans. You only see the drama and “controversy” mostly in here, where some people are unable to appreciate the good and make sure this place is a ceaseless hatefest on the game.
And like iWanex said, in here, the trend is always the same. The game releases, it’s trash etc etc etc. some time after, it will get all kinds of praise. It happened since forever. ROTTR being the most recent example - it was trashed in every possible way, and recently you’ve seen a huge shift on people’s behavior/opinion on it, where now it was an amazing game etc etc etc
Old 09-06-19, 14:45   #13
Chamayoo
Professor

I'll said... they all are, each games of this trilogy.
Chamayoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-19, 14:52   #14
Ahmier
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aikon View Post
Expectations.
I was expecting some of her iconography back so I was eh about it when it didn’t pop up. And the climax was good but not enough for me to go, “Now that’s a rightful ending for this trilogy.”

Critique aside I loved this on a gameplay level and I hope they continue this path. TR2013 and Rise are fun, but I don’t want another one of those.
Old 09-06-19, 15:03   #15
Heisenberg
Explorer

I can either never get enough of Shadow or I'm sick of it. There is no middle ground. Lara has her moments, tombs can be challening and visually spectacular the first few playthroughs. I just feel like it's not a complete product, there is more and it's frustrating. Overall, it did let me down as a last hurrah.
Old 09-06-19, 15:25   #16
Love2Raid
Tomb Raider

I’m sorry but the honour of being the most divisive and controversial game out of the three goes to RotTR. More than half of the fanbase had to wait up to one year to play it. Can’t beat that.
Love2Raid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-19, 16:09   #17
SpyrosMonster
Relic Hunter

Ummm let's not blame the "hard puzzles" for the GP not being head over heels for SOTTR.

There's games out there that are so much harder than this yet somehow did much better...
SpyrosMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-19, 16:37   #18
TombRaiderLover
Tomb Raider

Cause it had The Nerve™ to prioritise exploration and tomb raiding over shooting things.
Old 09-06-19, 16:43   #19
Chamayoo
Professor

If puzzles and exploration are now controversial in a TR game it speaks very loud how we got to be there today...
Chamayoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-19, 17:45   #20
charmedangelin
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by iWANEX View Post
Shadow is not the most divisive game at all, lol. It's just the newest one. Every single game from the trilogy has been trashed to death but whenever a new game gets released the previous ones are seen in a different light. And that will happen to Shadow too. Mark my words.

I did think it would be less divisive, specially seeing how TR-ry it is compared to the previous ones but apparently people don't care that much about it anymore. One would think that just because of that, the game would be more accepted but nope. It's still hated as much as TR2013 and Rise were. Not more and not less.
It had a very like warm reception when it was released. Both critics and reviewers had a harder time rating the game then the other two. Rise actually was very well received and is critically acclaimed like 2013.

Shadow however wasn't. This is a good place to air criticisms for the sake of improvement.

Anyway will post my thoughts soon enough.

Edit

I will disagree that it was the puzzels that did it in, they didn't really go far enough with it. However I will agree with some of y'all that the lack of combat really turned people off. Especially given how many skills were combat related and there was nothing to use them on.

Last edited by charmedangelin; 09-06-19 at 17:46.
charmedangelin is online now   Reply With Quote