Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Level Editor and Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor

Old 12-11-19, 18:12   #10321
Mordyga

Did we get our hands on alpha TR3 monkeyswing animations?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ux7ZMmdiQ5Y

At 2:35.
Mordyga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-19, 18:18   #10322
LoreRaider

^not that version sadly (but just a little bit "sadly" )
Core used a smoother and better animation on the Area 51 demo, which I was able to use in my last level, so we have that one, as well as the sprint animation
LoreRaider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-19, 20:11   #10323
Joey79100

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoreRaider View Post
^not that version sadly (but just a little bit "sadly" )
Lol indeed, this one looks like a placeholder animation, the legs aren't animated at all.
Joey79100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-19, 13:45   #10324
Evgeniy

Hello kittens! Trying myself in graphics programming. Yesterday figured out how to play animations with cool technique called interpolation. So animations look fluent at any frame rate. I'm so excited to show you results Watch this video: https://youtu.be/3OtXS3U5KFs. What do you think?
I hope, Horus-Goddess doesn't mind that I used her luxury Lara's 3D model

Last edited by Evgeniy; 13-11-19 at 13:49.
Evgeniy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-19, 13:50   #10325
SrDanielPonces

This is so cool! Revolutionary!
SrDanielPonces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-19, 14:34   #10326
Krystian

@Evgeniy
Yeah, quaternion interpolation is a really great tool! It allows you to use less data by storing fewer information about keyframes, the missing gaps are filled for you

Btw, you may want to check out this short article by Jonathan Blow (indie game dev, known for Braid and The Witness). He described the different variations of quaternion interpolation along with their advantages and disadvantages. I think it's worth checking out if you haven't found it already

http://number-none.com/product/Under...%20Using%20It/
Krystian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-19, 23:18   #10327
Joey79100

I've started working on "Making the SAS Great Again" (c) Daniel.
I originally wanted to remake his animation and noticed he was super buggy and slow (this is my first time using it): he walks, stops, walks, stops, walks, stops, barely runs at all, takes ages to get from a shooting position to another... So I've improved that.

If you want an explanation:
The thing is the engine always wants to make him stop before doing anything. And for some reason, he also always wants to stop after making a step. Once he's "ready" (ie. once he is in the "stop" state), the engine decides he can choose to do some action.
The main issue is that all his transition animations are suuuuper slow. And you know, having to stand straight with your two feet joined before taking a step back to start shooting, while 1 second before you were actually already shooting but with the eye behind the sight, and taking 3 seconds to do all that... y'a know, that's not super efficient for a soldier.
So whenever he's "ready" to do something, I've added a link to transition to make him do that thing, instead of having him awkwardly stand still. Because of this he's capable, when kneeling, of getting up and start running directly for example. I've also added transition between some shooting positions.
I've also "fixed" the walk-stop-walk-stop-walk-stop madness the same way, by making him able to cancel the "stopping" he initiates when he decides that actually, he wants to keep walking.
The area that's really lacking though is the grenade shooting. There's quite a delay before he shoots, and he needs to finish the animation before being able to do something else (for other actions, the engine usually makes him want to stop the action by default, and then he can decide whether to continue or not - in the case of grenades, he keeps wanting to shoot until he's finished, so I can't add a transition from there).

I still plan to add more transitions, cause he begs for it.

The download is only for showcasing current progress, because it's not finished yet (I'm just too lazy to record a video ).
Also, keep in mind that I originally started this because I wanted to remake his animations, so a few animations actually have been remade (stance, walk, and run), but only these ones for now (so I wouldn't advise copying the object into your WAD yet).
I'll release this when I'm finished though, probably with default animations in the first place, and with my custom animations later.

Also, I'm keeping the progress on my AOD Animations repository on Github (the package I've linked above is just a stripped down version so it's quicker to download).
Joey79100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-19, 23:52   #10328
SrDanielPonces

This is revolutionary, finally we're having ACTUALLY LESS DUMB "AI". Let's make the SAS Great Again

If this ends up being successful, why not fix other enemies, even if you're not redoing animations?
SrDanielPonces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-19, 10:45   #10329
Titak

Great news!!!

One of my MoA2 levels contains SAS and baddies and having this new version would be awesome.
So... here's me also hoping for a version with new animations.
Titak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-19, 19:25   #10330
sampiza

It is kinda annoying when players blame the builders when they just don't know how to play the game...
sampiza is offline   Reply With Quote