Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider III

Old 15-04-21, 20:51   #1
b122251

Default Little Things You Noticed

Hi, so the idea of this thread is to share tiny little things you've noticed in the games, but that really aren't special enough to deserve their own thread (let's see if this goes anywhere).

I'll give an example: In the wallet on the loading screen for Highland Fling, there is a Dutch 10 Guilder note, with the portrait of famous painter Frans Hals on it.

(This series of Dutch bank notes is in my opinion some of the most beautiful currency ever issued, and way more beautiful than the soulless Euro notes the Dutch use nowadays. Such a pity...)
b122251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-21, 06:43   #2
ATombRaiderFan

That's very interesting! I wonder what business Willard had in the Netherlands.

Since this thread is about little things you noticed in the games, I'll add something here. In the euro tunnel, Lara comes across prehistoric cave paintings of horses.

Last edited by ATombRaiderFan; 16-04-21 at 06:57.
ATombRaiderFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-21, 07:25   #3
red_lion

Impressive that you find a banknote of 10 gulden.
I see also in your picture a banknote of the bank of England probably with Elizabeth II on it.

I love this thread allready.

Is it tr3 and tr3 gold combined?
red_lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-21, 19:50   #4
disapearing-boy

Something was bugging me about the South Pacific stone wall textures - I had seen them before but couldn't put my finger on it until recently.

They are from the Maya pyramid at Tikal. That is to say not from the South Pacific region at all.

Last edited by disapearing-boy; 18-04-21 at 20:08.
disapearing-boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-21, 13:32   #5
ATombRaiderFan

In the Reunion level of Lost Artefact, Lara comes across this imagery on the wall:

This texture is from a part of the Bayeux Tapestry which tells the story of events leading up to the Norman Conquest of 1066. These people are carrying the deceased body of King Edward the Confessor to Westminster Abbey.

ATombRaiderFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-21, 15:52   #6
Samz

I could be wrong (been a while and I no longer have my Vita) but I swear the MP5 makes two firing sounds at once in the PS1 version.

The PC Version makes the "turret chaingun" sound that's used by turrets in at least VCI and Full-auto in Chronicles, while the PS1 Version makes both that sound and the Rifle-using Area 51 Guards/London Mercenaries "Rifle Crack" fire sound, I could be wrong but I swear there's two overlapping SFX for it in the PS1 version. (or maybe just Vita? I know some games actually use a different version for the Vita version than the original, like the PSP Syphon filter games which have the censorship of the PS2 versions.)

Just like TR2, the MP5 can lock on from further away than any other gun in the game, technically TR2 Trivia but I rarely see this info about the MP5/M16 mentioned anywhere.

There are almost no "joint" Pick-ups (Where multiple items are in the same spot and Lara picks them all up with one press of the action button) in TR3, which is part of the reason there's barely any shotgun ammo. (Since TR1/2 would often have multiple boxes in the same spot in later levels and TLR/Chronicles buffed the amount of shells per box if I remember.)

Enemies can actually, impressively for the PS1 Era, utilize cover somewhat, if Lara is shooting at enemies by crouching and standing up again from behind waist-high cover, they'll duck down so Lara can't shoot over the box at them and slowly advance while crouched, there's only a few areas where this behaviour can be witnessed and I don't know if it's heavily scripted or natural AI.
Samz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-21, 23:07   #7
Craig Michaels

Lara sees a bas relief of Ganesha in India which comes from Dashavatara Temple, Deogarh in Uttar Pradesh.

Some of the Egyptian art in the museum in Lud's Gate comes from the Tomb of Inerkhau at Deir el-Medina (TT359). Inerkhau was a foreman who is depicted with his wife and children.

Last edited by Craig Michaels; 21-04-21 at 19:22.
Craig Michaels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-21, 11:46   #8
Guy N. Cognito

Quote:
Originally Posted by disapearing-boy View Post
Something was bugging me about the South Pacific stone wall textures - I had seen them before but couldn't put my finger on it until recently.

They are from the Maya pyramid at Tikal. That is to say not from the South Pacific region at all.
The South Pacific in the early versions was totally different which was mistaken by many for Peru, a location removed in the early stages of development.
Tikal is not in Peru, but it seems coincidentally and ironically done on purpose.
Guy N. Cognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-21, 20:45   #9
Luxel

i really love threads like this. Pls keep finding and posting stuff
Luxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-21, 20:47   #10
Greenapple968

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luxel View Post
i really love threads like this. Pls keep finding and posting stuff
Welcome to the forum. Hopefully you'll continue to like what you find on here.
Greenapple968 is offline   Reply With Quote